Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

time to get started
    #379218 - 03/06/10 06:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've been slowly building my grow box and assembling accessories for a while now, and have decided I'm at the point that I can start considering the grow in more detail. I'd like your advice on a few things, so here's where I stand:

-The box has been built for a perpetual harvest: 3x3x3' veg (CFLs, perhaps T5s later), 3x4x5' flower (600W switchable HID), 450 CFM Vortex w/ thermostat speed control. I know both rooms are shorter than optimal, but I'm working with what I have. I'm pretty confident I can keep it cool.

-I'm thinking I can fit 4 or 5 plants in 3 gallon pots under the HPS. The only issue is height: with the 3 gallon pots, there is a maximum of 43 inches between the glass of the HPS and the soil. That only gives 3 feet of height to work in, plus up to 7 inches of space between light and plants. I plan to flower early and LST as much as necessary. How tall do your plants get?

-I originally wanted to grow in coco coir, and bought Botanicare's CNS17 Grow and Bloom, but was only shipped the Grow. After a lot of hassle from vendor, they said they'd send the Bloom I paid for if I made another purchase from them. I haven't taken them up on that yet, so unless I can find Bloom semi-locally (unlikely), I'll have to switch to another fert.
With that said, should I attempt to use coco, or try Hempy buckets? My 3 gallon pots aren't optimized for hempy, as they have holes in the very bottom of the sides, but I could probably duct tape over them and drill my own higher up. Can I use CNS17 Grow with hempy buckets?

-I was going to use a bucket-in-bucket wick system, à la ICMag's purpledomgoddess/mistress, but I don't think I have the height necessary. I need to be able to leave my garden alone for at least 5 days, but preferably a week. I don't leave often, but the occasional family vacation could ruin months of work if I don't plan accordingly. I could possibly set up a temporary wick reservoir for those rare instances, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: time to get started [Re: God]
    #379414 - 03/07/10 10:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

-I'm thinking I can fit 4 or 5 plants in 3 gallon pots under the HPS. The only issue is height: with the 3 gallon pots, there is a maximum of 43 inches between the glass of the HPS and the soil. That only gives 3 feet of height to work in, plus up to 7 inches of space between light and plants. I plan to flower early and LST as much as necessary. How tall do your plants get?

Plan on your plants tripling their height within the first 2-3 weeks of flower. That means if you have a 6 inch plant in the beginning, you should expect it to hit 18 inches before it stops stretching.  3 ft of flowering height is pretty easy to work with as long as you don't veg your plants to tall.

Quote:

-I originally wanted to grow in coco coir, and bought Botanicare's CNS17 Grow and Bloom, but was only shipped the Grow. After a lot of hassle from vendor, they said they'd send the Bloom I paid for if I made another purchase from them. I haven't taken them up on that yet, so unless I can find Bloom semi-locally (unlikely), I'll have to switch to another fert.

First of all I would dispute this with your credit card company, if you paid for a product, were charged for it, and didn't receive it you should not expect to give that vendor your money until you receive the product.  I'm not too familiar with these nutes, but if they were designed for use in coco that would be the substrate I would use.  They may work in a hempy style grow, but I can't comment on how effective it would be or if it would work to its full potential.  Secondly I would avoid trying to use a bucket that has hole in the bottom, if you were going to use them I would plug the holes up with a silicone treatment or something else besides duct tape.  Eventually the water will force it's way around the tape and you will have some leaky buckets on your hand.

Quote:

-I was going to use a bucket-in-bucket wick system, à la ICMag's purpledomgoddess/mistress, but I don't think I have the height necessary. I need to be able to leave my garden alone for at least 5 days, but preferably a week. I don't leave often, but the occasional family vacation could ruin months of work if I don't plan accordingly. I could possibly set up a temporary wick reservoir for those rare instances, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'm not sure of this method you speak of, but I would look into setting up a drip system if you plan on leaving your grow for extended periods of time.  There's a few members here using drip systems with good success.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: time to get started [Re: coda]
    #379446 - 03/07/10 12:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

To everything Coda said. EXACTLY. I always pay for marijuana products with a money order. Credit card companies not only complicate matters they leave paper trails. Also a drip system would be in your better interests if you plan on being away from your garden for any extended periods of time longer than three days. I would set a drip system up if I had to be away from my garden for longer than two.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: time to get started [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #379533 - 03/07/10 03:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the height, I'm planning to put them into flower when they get to 10-11" tall for the first run. As far as the nutrient situation goes, it was only $20 worth, and while I'd rather get my product, I'd also rather not waste my time. It took a lot of work on my part for them to even offer that lame deal, and that was months ago, so I'm just going to let it be and not purchase from them again.

The nutrients are designed to work in coco, and I know that they would work best if used that way, but if I can't find a source of the Bloom formula, I don't want to start in coco and then not be able to feed properly come flower time.

If I were going to go hempy, I guess I could use these tall four gallon pots I have, but I'd lose 4 inches of height. That puts me at 39" between soil surface and light, which means I'd have to put them into flower by 10" tall, definitely. It seems like it would defeat the purpose to have a four gallon pot with only 32" tall plants--would the root system even fill up the pot in that amount of time?

Here's purpledomgoddes' tek, in case anyone is interested. It looks pretty solid. I know a drip system would do me well, but I'd rather not make the investment if I can get the same effect with wicks. Also, the less electrical appliances I have to rely on, the better: I know that capillary action will keep working when I leave the house.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#379562 - 03/07/10 04:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Why not just use SCRoG, height problem solved.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: time to get started [Re: DieselB]
    #379806 - 03/08/10 04:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Gasp. I love ScRog. You can get all the horizontal growth you can stand. Off just one plant.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: time to get started [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #379886 - 03/08/10 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I figured perpetual harvest+scrog+small cab=big mess every few weeks. I can get the same effects from LST, but each plant will be mobile on its own instead of stuck in a screen configuration.
I'm confident that I can fit the plants in there, I'd just like to maximize the space I have available, and cutting four inches off while increasing the pot size seems like it'd be a bit counter-productive; I'm mainly worried that the roots wouldn't fill the 4 gallon pot in the amount of time the foliage would have to grow in such little space above the pot. Does this seem like a valid concern?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #380234 - 03/08/10 05:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it is if you're heavy with the watering can.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom