Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline4hodmt
Stranger
using propane torch to increase co2
    #374951 - 02/27/10 11:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hey, so i have your basic brass nozzled handheld propane torch.

whenever its on high, there's a 6 inch flame on it, its got to use a lot of propane, im figuring at least 10 cubic feet every half minute i'd say.

wouldn't like 3% of total room volume be almost too much co2. my chamber is about 1,620 cubic feet. so like 30 cubic feet of gas should be plenty.

twice a day in the morning and before bed i was going to do it. make the lights would go out from like 2 to 9. at like ten i'd gas it, then again at like 8am. figure it'd use the last of it up bye about noon. most of the time there'd be light, there'd be c02.

and i know that they make the same kind of torch that has an automatic starter, i could probably rig a solenoid to hit the switch on the lighter.

or is there any other relatively cheap way to build a generator

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: 4hodmt]
    #374954 - 02/27/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Water, Sugar, and Yeast :justdontknow:

Just be careful not to burn down your grow with that damn thing.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #374959 - 02/27/10 11:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that's going to be so freakin' expensive to use that much propane!

Also, 3% by volume is insanity, that's 30,000ppm of CO2.... Approximately a 10,000% increase over standard atmospheric levels.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374970 - 02/27/10 11:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am not going to look for the data but I am sure that burning propane produces many many more gasses then just co2. Meaning your product is much less C02 then you think. The best way to supplament your plants with more C02 is simply to increase the airflow around and in and out of the room/space.

Your assumption that you can fill the room up with C02 and leave it over night is also a bit flawed. One, if you don't circulate air at all C0@ will settle, that would take litterally no air movement but if you plan to keep the Co2 in that room for 12 hours then you have almost that. Two, the amount of Co2 you could generate in a room sealed air tight with a flame is still less then the plants could get if ventilated well.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: pha3r0]
    #374978 - 02/27/10 11:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well theoretically a complete combustion would yield nothing at all but CO2 and H2O. That's in the perfect world though, and we all know the real one is anything but

--------------------

Offline4hodmt
Stranger
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: pha3r0]
    #374979 - 02/27/10 11:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

looked into radiant propane heaters, gonna see if it is electrically turned on, so i could rig it to turn on every little while.

yeah i plan on it being heavier than air, it's in the basement, and i insulated the fuck out of the place. plus im about to pretty much hermetically seal the whole thing.

yeah i was figuring that it wouldnt take much. like 2 minutes would be plenty.

obviously i have an electric heater stirring up air in the room.

not trying to drop like 500 on a generator that i may not need. still need two HPS lights.

fermentation dosnt put out shit.

would sulphuric acid and sugar= c02 more immediately? could set up some sort of slow dropper.

Offline4hodmt
Stranger
    #374983 - 02/27/10 11:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh and i have a ppm c0 detector, im gonna put that outside the tent, if that gets danrgerous, ill know.

im gonna try doing it for a minute as many times a day i can. if there's any good to it, i should be able to tell in like 4-5 days.

a generator just isnt called for. only got seven puppies currently. but in the future def. gonna get the professional setup.

Offlinesulbones
Stranger
Male
Loc: Beantown Flag
    #802151 - 12/24/15 03:30 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

i use a propane lantern i got at wal mart. i hang it above my lights. it burns propane slowly. much less than a torch. 1 fat bottle lasts 8 days it gives off approx 980ppm's max. i used to use a torch this is much safer.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: sulbones]
    #802233 - 12/27/15 04:52 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sulbones said:
i use a propane lantern i got at wal mart. i hang it above my lights. it burns propane slowly. much less than a torch. 1 fat bottle lasts 8 days it gives off approx 980ppm's max. i used to use a torch this is much safer.

i heard if you burn propane in an enclosed area, you might die from carbon monoxide poisoning.  sure, you could also idle your car and run a hose from the exhaust into your grow room and capture some co2, but you get the idea...

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #802262 - 12/27/15 02:23 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

for about $40 you can get a three way alarm-- Carbon Monoxide and methane/propane gasses

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-GCO1CN-Combination-Explosive/dp/B000H2651Y

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinesulbones
Stranger
Male

Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: phychotron]
    #803030 - 01/11/16 01:05 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

why do i use a propane oven and stove top inside my enclosed kitchen. some use natural gas as stove tops. what's that about that car exhaust? from gasoline? thats pure CO. CO2 generators in grow rooms use propane or natural gas. i measure my co and co2. its required by law to have a CO detector in every household. im a retired firefighter, i think i know a little more than you do when it comes to CO. ive carried CO victims out of there houses because there chimney or exhaust vent was plugged while running there NG or Propane furnaces for heat. Furnaces and Water Heaters put out massive amounts of Propane or NG to heat water and houses.they are exhausted from the household(via chimney or power vent). compare BTU's (which are british thermal units). obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Propane is safe when used indoors in small amounts like your oven and stove burners. do some reading.

Edited by sulbones (01/11/16 01:13 AM)

Offlinesulbones
Stranger
Male

Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #803053 - 01/11/16 02:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:
Quote:

sulbones said:

i heard if you burn propane in an enclosed area, you might die from carbon monoxide poisoning.  sure, you could also idle your car and run a hose from the exhaust into your grow room and capture some co2, but you get the idea...

OfflineGlasPlandai
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: sulbones]
    #806134 - 02/17/16 07:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I will skip the technical parts as you can google what amount of propane burned will produce what amount of CO2. To answer the OPer yes it will help any increase over the average natural ppm of 300-400 will help. But if you are exchanging air you are wasting your time and money.

As far as burning propane if done properly you will not kill yourself. Large horticulture operation often use propane CO2 generators in winter months to heat there greenhouses and gain the advantage of producing CO2. When burning hydrocarbon fuels CAN produce carbon monoxide if not fully combusted. If your burn flame is yellow/orange you and not fully combusted and will produce mostly carbon monoxide Vs CO2. If your Burn flame is Blue/White you are almost full combustion and producing mostly CO2 and almost no carbon monoxide.

For the guy who suggested piping your car exhaust you should know that the internal combustion engine is very INEFFICIENT. Over 50% of the fuels energy is lost as it is never burned fully. They produce carbon monoxide because they never fully burn the fuel. A propane torch or gas over burns with a blue flame meaning it is hot enough to combust almost all of the fuel and thus produce mostly CO2 vs carbon monoxide.

--------------------
Dr. Glas Plandai Ph.D.
Major in Horticulture
Minor in Sustainable Agriculture
Glas Plandai on FaceBook

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: GlasPlandai]
    #806148 - 02/17/16 08:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Smart man. I learned this from ice fishing. Indoor safe my ass!  After using "approved" propane heaters, within a couple hours I feel tired and loopy, and after 6 to 8 I already have a migraine and feel like I've been date raped. They burn orange and clearly substantial amounts of CO and CO2 are still present. Last weekend I could barely drive home and vomited straight away then passed out for 10 hours. Keep in mind I was SOBER. Just sayin.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineGlasPlandai
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: using propane torch to increase co2 [Re: Inverted]
    #806162 - 02/18/16 12:26 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
They burn orange and clearly substantial amounts of CO and CO2 are still present.

Yellow flame is an indication of incomplete combustion and that means more CO and less CO2. CO2 is not as harmfull to humans and in some well sealed home 1000ppm is not uncommon when cooking and heating during cold weather with everything closed up. My Grow room runs 800-1200 ppm and I chill in there Dr.ing plants and trimming all the time. Even Hide in there from my house of females once a month for about a week.lol

CO2 for humans
250-350ppm Normal background concentration in outdoor ambient air
350-1,000ppm Concentrations typical of occupied indoor spaces with good air exchange
1,000-2,000ppm Complaints of drowsiness and poor air.
2,000-5,000 ppm Headaches, sleepiness and stagnant, stale, stuffy air. Poor concentration, loss of attention, increased heart rate and slight nausea may also be present.
5,000 Workplace exposure limit (as 8-hour TWA) in most jurisdictions.
>40,000 ppm Exposure may lead to serious oxygen deprivation resulting in permanent brain damage, coma, even death.

CO Exposure for humans
9 ppm CO Max prolonged exposure (ASHRAE standard)
35 ppm CO Max exposure for 8 hour work day (OSHA)
800 ppm CO Death within 2 to 3 hours
12,800 ppm CO Death within 1 to 3 minutes

--------------------
Dr. Glas Plandai Ph.D.
Major in Horticulture
Minor in Sustainable Agriculture
Glas Plandai on FaceBook

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder