Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheman420

Understanding yields
    #364233 - 02/14/10 08:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

okay so Ive been asking myself and a few others about yields. i just want the extra input from some of yous!
so whats the ground rule for yields per plant? or is there to many options when considering yields?

so for say a hybrid indica seed/clone?
and a pure sativa seed/clone?
growing outdoors as well as indoors, and are you going to get more off a seed or a clone?

i figure ill do a bit of research and find it but i want the hard facts from people that have tested this!

--------------------
num,num,num.....mmmm......num,num,num

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Understanding yields [Re: theman420]
    #364240 - 02/14/10 08:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't matter if your going from seed or clone, that is very irrelevant, they will both yield the same. 

Yield potential is going to vary tremendously from strain to strain.  It is also going to depend on how good of a grower you are and if your able to reach your strains maximum potential.  Variables like amount of light they're getting, amount of space for the roots to expand into, available nutrients, levels of CO2 in your room etc. are all going to play a factor into your yield.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Understanding yields [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #364564 - 02/15/10 12:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I couldn't say it much better myself.

Nice post.  As you said, too many variables, and genetics are key.  I've had a heavy indica plant look like a super promising strain, then come flower time, all the budsites just grew little super frosty buds.  Strains can very so much.  Not that many people understand how much of a role it plays in the development of the plant.  I believe it's well balanced, but more important to give a strain the environment it needs, then you will see some big super sticky buds.

IMO you can never have the best of both worlds (aka heavy yielder AND super potent/tasty/frosty/etc...) 

Sure you can grow a commercial strain and have an almost guaranteed larger harvest (if you know what you are doing) but do you really want to be smoking on commercial bud for the next few months?

I'll take the lower yielding trade off any day, and grow multiple strains per run, because I get bored with one type of herb quickly, unless it's epic.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

Re: Understanding yields [Re: Inverted]
    #364573 - 02/15/10 12:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I couldn't say it much better myself.

Nice post.  As you said, too many variables, and genetics are key.  I've had a heavy indica plant look like a super promising strain, then come flower time, all the budsites just grew little super frosty buds.  Strains can very so much.  Not that many people understand how much of a role it plays in the development of the plant.  I believe it's well balanced, but more important to give a strain the environment it needs, then you will see some big super sticky buds.

IMO you can never have the best of both worlds (aka heavy yielder AND super potent/tasty/frosty/etc...) 

Sure you can grow a commercial strain and have an almost guaranteed larger harvest (if you know what you are doing) but do you really want to be smoking on commercial bud for the next few months?

I'll take the lower yielding trade off any day, and grow multiple strains per run, because I get bored with one type of herb quickly, unless it's epic.

commercial bud is great for wasting on one hitters at parties. Save the good shit for your personal use. so grow at least two strains. :laugh:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Understanding yields [Re: FrozenReality]
    #364574 - 02/15/10 12:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Or get a spectacular strain that is both a great yielder and quality bud and don't fuck around with sub par marijuana.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #364605 - 02/15/10 08:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Or get a spectacular strain that is both a great yielder and quality bud and don't fuck around with sub par marijuana.

^that :yesnod:

I've grown strains that were incredibly high quality and yielded far more than I knew what to do with.

plus everyone fucking loves you when you show up to a party with a 1/4oz and just toss it on the table and say "have fun" :wink:

--------------------

Offlinetheman420

#364608 - 02/15/10 08:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thank you all I'm kinda understanding this a bit more, to understand the yield you have to basically, indoors get every thing down to a "T" when controlling the environment and pot size... so the one gram per watt thang is only relevant when a perfect environment is at hand! and i can see how genetics play a huge role in overall yield and potency.

i don't mind having a mind blowing high/strain, i go more so for a relaxing mellow  high, and taste! I've found that super potent strains can some times give me more anxiety and make me feel quite lethargic afterwards.

so smoking one bowl(about a gram of some sensi) gets me to where I'm going, so yielding a big harvest is more important than having a really potent plant...

also I've found while looking here and other sites that THC is not the only factor when consider what type of high you get from your plant.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Understanding yields [Re: theman420]
    #364849 - 02/15/10 05:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you are starting to figure it out.

And Harry, I'm sorry but I'm going to slightly disagree with you on this subject.

Personally I do not believe there is a strain out there that is both a huge yielder and also hugely potent.  I feel that at least to a point you must sacrifice one to benefit the other.  Sure there are strains as you say that yield heavy and are dank, but those arent that heavy in the broad spectrum.  Look at Chronic for example, that strain yields incredibly, but the smoke is not that good.

From what Magash has told me is that one of the strains that yields good AND has a hell of a kick is blockhead, but it's not going to yield as large as other strains.

I also feel that some of the most potent strains in the world are relatively low yielders.  I've read so much about people thinking Bubba is one of the most potent strains (I have no opinion on this) but quid pro quo, is known as a low yielder.  The trade off is worth it IMO because I don't grow for maximum weight to sell or anything so the more potent the better, I don't care if I yield only 1oz per plant.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #364851 - 02/15/10 05:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh definitely. on a scale of 1-10 I think you can get as high as 7-7 (yield-potency) but you can't ever get to 10-10. it's usually like 10-5 or 5-10 in my experience.

whatever strain it was that I grew under cfl's I think was around a 7-7 or 8-8 though. I'm so pissed I didn't have space to take clones on that grow because it's still the best weed I've ever dealt with. Got me baked out of my skull and yielded a 33 gram nug on the main shoot. some LST and a 600W would have made me blow a chronic-y load

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Understanding yields [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #365131 - 02/16/10 10:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hahah hell yes.  I totally agree with your "scaling".

It's funny because people knock on me for growing bagseed from time to time, but the thing is I have found some KILLER phenos that if I had the opportunity to go back I would have saved for mothers and bred.

Like I tend to say, All of today's modern strains all started out as someone's bagseed.

--------------------

Offlinetheman420

#365342 - 02/16/10 03:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i grew seeds from a bag once outside, and since theirs a field of hemp (say around 200+ plants) that i live next to that didn't go very well for me. last years grow didn't either when a kid that i let take care of my plants for the summer while i was away never gave them back or even let me see the final product just gave me the seeds!(results are a very good friendship that went south very quickly!)

now I'm just trying to re-stabilize that strain and than try to get some Durban poison and blueberry seeds to finish it off! i have indoor and outdoor of the strain but maybe only ten of each which makes it extremely difficult on my behalf to breed, but you can only do what you can with what you got.

the main object is to get a high yield and a good taste with limited time to flower. a high yield not to sell but to stock up on so i don't have to deal with petty dealers all the time and pay their prices! not to mention i like to sit down with a few mates and pass the Buddha around :stoner: could take up to a quarter of some premo for that! take that by 12, and you looking at about a a pound or so, than i need the personal to!

that's why if i could do like 4 plants and get away with an oz off each id be able to break even somewhat. so it'd only take me 16 plants or four grows to achieve a pound which would normally cost around 3000-5000 USD. which is a fair bit of cash to be throwing out!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom