Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
400w HPS light
    #356711 - 02/02/10 01:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My brother has/had the light running in his grow closet. But the grow closet still got pretty damn hot while the light was running. He had a large box fan inside the room but it didnt seem to be helping much

Now the only ventaliation on the closet is a 4''x4'' hole at the top and then a small 1 1/2'' hole towards the bottom where electrial cords are fished through. Do I need to add larger hole to allow more air in/out?

I dont think he has a thermometer so an exact temperature is unknown. There were other things he fucked up because he doesnt listen to me and didnt do his homework so I am trying to give him a hand.

I am going to germinate some seeds for him and see if maybe he just sucks at life.

Just curious about other peoples experience with 400w HPS lights inside closed areas and the affects of the heat and how they keep their areas cooled

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: Picklez]
    #356719 - 02/02/10 02:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Without some kind of cold air intake it is going to be next to impossible to keep the door closed to the closet and the temps down.  Even with a cool tube and a high powered fan connected to that with ducting venting that hot air out of the closet, it will still get over 100F if sealed up, unless you find some way to get cool air into the closet.  I use a 900W portable AC, vented through the attic, with a 600W HPS in a cool tube with fan, also vented into a "T" with the other duct, and then out into the attic.  Even then you have to duct that air to the outside because portable ACs exhaust is high humidity air that can fuck an attic up. :mad2:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: dutc2006]
    #356723 - 02/02/10 02:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Holy fuck. Surely there has got to be something I can do on his closet that wont cost him a bunch of money

So it does sound like its a heat issue. Because the first group of plants quickly died within a day or two of placing them in the closet.

Fuck fuck fuck. I hope someone comes along with some good news. Or there is going to be a light for sale

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

#356762 - 02/02/10 08:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't want to invest in a portable A/C unit. Remember, heat is not an issue, it is when that hot air is not moving that creates hot spots for your plants and later leading to heat stress.

You definitely need an exhaust on the bulb, running a fan to pull the hot air out of the closet and out of the room, either out the attic, room or window.

Get an oscillating fan to blow across the base of the plants stems.

As for Intake, try a passive intake, on the bottom to pull air as the fan exhausts.

Try that and your temps should stay within 82-85F.

Oh, and make sure you insulate your ducting or the heat wont make it out of the closet, worsening the situation.

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: NightGrower]
    #356765 - 02/02/10 08:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hm, I think I am going to have him burn down the closet. Hang a couple dark sheets from the ceiling in the room and hang the light down the center

This way the grow area would not be enclosed at all which would hopefully solve all temperature issues/ air exchange

Only concern would be smell. But how bad would 6-8 plants smell anyways? If it's in a bedroom of the house that is unused, would it even be an issue?

This news about the light is discouraging. What do you mean "put an exhaust on the bulb?"

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #356775 - 02/02/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:This news about the light is discouraging. What do you mean "put an exhaust on the bulb?"

Does your light have an open flange like this? If so, he is suggesting you get some flexible ducting and an exhaust fan which will suck the hot air right out of your reflector and closet and exhaust it elsewhere.

If you are in a bad spot and can only exhaust hot old air or intake cold fresh air, always exhaust the hot air as that will allow you to at least grow although yields will be affected.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #356797 - 02/02/10 12:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If your reflector doesn't have a vent u can put a fan close to the light. That one is 2 ft away. Got it at walmart $12. As u can see I also have an a/c in the room. Needed in summer.
Plants got with in a foot of light(1000watt). Leaving the closet door open and room door closed will help a ton.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: 400w HPS light [Re: KaptKid] * 1
    #356809 - 02/02/10 12:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

If your reflector doesn't have a vent u can put a fan close to the light. That one is 2 ft away. Got it at walmart $12. As u can see I also have an a/c in the room. Needed in summer.
Plants got with in a foot of light(1000watt). Leaving the closet door open and room door closed will help a ton.

That plant doesn't look too happy. :undecided:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: 400w HPS light [Re: KaptKid]
    #356810 - 02/02/10 12:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineTomCollins

#356811 - 02/02/10 12:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 400w HPS light [Re: NightGrower]
    #356840 - 02/02/10 02:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ouch, triple burn...

Quote:

NightGrower said:
Oh, and make sure you insulate your ducting or the heat wont make it out of the closet, worsening the situation.

Is this true?  I mean, sure it makes sense.  But are all you guys really using insulated ducting? 

As far as dude's closet, you just need to get some kind of fan in there... a small axial with adequate intake is going to make a huge difference vs. nothing...  Also look around for fans you can borrow; old computers, heaters, junk shops or remodel construction (larger heater blowers, bathroom fans, central air boosters etc)  Although none of that is going to compare to a properly vented space with decent gear.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: TomCollins]
    #356857 - 02/02/10 03:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That plant was not happy. Bad pH, Nute lock out.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #356895 - 02/02/10 04:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ive basically decided to scrap his closet and just hang a couple black sheets from the ceiling, making a somewhat enclosed area. Then just hanging the light from his ceiling. That way the entire top is open for air and there will still be a fan placed inside

Hopefully 2nd time around goes better

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #356898 - 02/02/10 05:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

But how bad would 6-8 plants smell anyways?

they have the potential to be really really stinky.  One plant sometimes can be smelled throughout an entire house.  I had my eight plants from my last run in the closet and before i put the filter in, you could smell them the moment you walked in my house.

Even with an "open" setup like you described, if you're not moving the hot air out of the bedroom somehow you're going to run into the same problem.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: coda]
    #356928 - 02/02/10 06:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

But how bad would 6-8 plants smell anyways?

Bad enough to cause the landlord to sniff under my door and search my apartment.  No carbon filter going so apparently it got a bit stinky in the hallway.  sooo it will be a good investment.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 400w HPS light [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #356982 - 02/02/10 08:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Damn, this isnt looking very promising

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies