Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineairborne robot
What would happen....?
    #347476 - 01/14/10 08:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have a extra 1000 hps light/ballast and a 430 combo light/digi ballast hanging out unused right now. I created a second grow room in another room in the house and was thinking about going insane with that room. So what do you guys think about this???

1. Use the 430, and even the 1000 as a veg light and keep a clone or seedling in veg for lets say 5 months. Keeping it trained and growing along a chicken wire screen for pure horizontal growth, or letting it grow straight up and get about 4 feet tall in its Veg state??

2. Potting will be done in a 55 gallon modified Rubbermaid trash can, Using clay pellets in a 8 inch net pot and a mixture of a DWC/aeroponic feeding system. ( I love menards!!! )

The question is how long would the flowering times be for a MONSTER plant like this? I have a habit of going insane with a HUGE project after I have everything set up and have free time to kill.
To give you a example I took a Kiddie swimming pool and 30 gallons of spawn with 10 lbs of Hpoo and 18 bricks of coir and had what I think to be one of the biggest single enclosure boomer grows! Looking to top this feet with Mary, and was getting your guys feed back.

Advice and thoughts??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen....? [Re: airborne robot]
    #347479 - 01/14/10 08:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think it sounds like an awesome project to attempt. I would recommend the screen because a tall plant will prevent the light from reaching the bottom buds and that will negatively impact your yield. depending on the strain the flowering time should still be around 8-9 weeks.

I'm kinda curious to see just how much a single plant can yield too, if you give it 55 gallons of root space I don't see any reason it won't grow into a ridiculous monster of nuggage.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #347480 - 01/14/10 08:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say increase the number of plants and use a veg time shorter than 5 months. 
With your shroom project, more spawn/space=more shrooms, but with this, you're going to run into a point of diminishing returns b/c you could definitely finish 2 grows in the same period of time that you are talking about running 1 plant.
Under 1400 watts, you could run 15 full size plants (and let them get 6 ft tall total) or a billion SOG style plants...which to me is a more "monster" grow than one that's been vegged for a long time.
:2cents:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen....? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #347482 - 01/14/10 08:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree that's the only method if you're shooting for great yield/harvest quality, but if I understood correctly he wants to basically set the world record for largest yield from one single plant

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would happen....? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #347487 - 01/14/10 09:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm...I see.

Well, as long as that's not the only grow you've got going, I agree with doing a big ScRog screen.  Maybe use a multi-layer system and spread that one plant over a <grabs a calculator>...5x5 area.  That would still maintain your 50 watts/ft^2.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

#347488 - 01/14/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

How big is the room for this 1400 combined watts?

You could easily grow a monster under a 400w. Why not triple your mothers/ladies and go clone crazy.

It really would be a billion SOG or a million Scrog. Or... transplant outside and let mother nature turn them into beasts.

Doesn't everyone want to be like those two guys in the picture? Standing next to a huge tree of green>?

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

Offlineairborne robot
Re: What would happen....? [Re: NightGrower]
    #347517 - 01/14/10 11:29 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That pic is exactly what I am shooting for, but I am thinking instead of vertical grow this baby is gonna be a carpet of green. I have a 15 x 15 by 10 room to work with. Shooting for the moon, cause my other room is producing very nicely in the SoG, so this is a WTF project
My concern was time. If I let her VEG for 5+ months how long of a flower time are we looking at? Currently the strain finishes in about 2 weeks veg, and 9 weeks flowering. Wanted to make sure that a 20-25 week VEG didnt make a 150+ week flower :smile:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #347523 - 01/14/10 11:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

no man that's not how it works. plants flower for the same period of time regardless of how big they are. it might get extended by as much as a week, but no more.

--------------------

Offlineairborne robot
    #347697 - 01/14/10 03:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome, that was the answer I was looking for!!
Lets shoot for the moon, and hope we land close!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #347705 - 01/14/10 03:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lol update this thread a lot.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: What would happen....? [Re: Triptonic]
    #348048 - 01/15/10 12:32 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No kidding.  I used to grow monster plants outside, but due to stealth reasons and being ripped off, I've gone back to reasonable 6-7 footers.

I would love to see this along... :popcorn:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlineairborne robot
Re: What would happen....? [Re: Inverted]
    #348309 - 01/15/10 03:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have selected my strain that I am going to go with and Have 5 seeds soaking.
The strain is my own little creation. It started as a lone seed I found in a bag of some really, really fruity bag weed. Most of the simple bricks we get around here are horrible, but not so long ago we had some bales move through town. Nice heavy stalks with huge fruity buds. Not sure if those Cali mountain growers send some mana our way, but this seed was buried in the middle of what had to be a center cola from a outdoor plant that managed to avoid almost all the pollen. Seedless bag weed...... Anyways. The smoke was good but I knew I could make it better. I took great care of that seed and sprouted it next to some other dank seeds I found in some really good homegrown. I got lucky and the dank shot up a female, and right beside it the homegrown gave me a male. I moved the happy couple into their own little grow space in the garage and watched as they lived a long and happy marriage. Harvest time gave me a well seeded female (for hash) and a male for the fireplace.
Now most would consider this a waste but I already have enough growing in the grow room, so letting a female go full on seeded isnt a waste for me, just a good way to ensure this strain didnt die out. A pure strain from nirvana and such would be better suited for this, but im all about forging my own path and turning what was decent 5,6 or seven generations ago into something mind blowing.

So there is the back ground. Here is the set up

Potting:
Using a 78 quart rubber maid container. Replacing the 55 gallon trash bin. I wanted more horizontal space and not the vertical requirements the trash bin would take. I have a 8 inch hole cut into the middle of the lid where the net pot will rest. In the container is two 12 inch air stones fed by a high volume fish tank pump. Will be using the fox farms trio for the nutes. Also, I have a 100 gpm water pump that is feeding a setup of four 1/2 inch sprinkler heads on 1/2 inch pvc piping on a 1 on 1 off timer. Figure do a hydro/aero setup and see what happens!

Life of the plant:
Will let the little lady veg under the 430 combo bulb for roughly 10-12 weeks. Will be grown tied to the chicken wire screen I have on a PVC pipe frame. If veg time is not long enough I will adjust for size. I am shooting for what would be a 15-18 foot plant (final size)if grown vertically. If the 430 isnt giving enough I will snap on the extra 1k light I have to help with the light.

Lights:
I have a extra 1k light and will be using the 1k and the 430 on a 12/12 cycle. Once again if lighting becomes a problem I will use my emergency back up 1k and order another to keep on the shelves.

Environment.
Room is a stable 72 right now and with the added light I will add another vent line to my swamp cooler and use the in-line duct fans to keep lights cool. Will have a simple drip feed system of vinegar and baking soda to keep C02 up. Room is sealed up and I am trying to make this monster breath easily.

Any questions or helpful tips please feel free!!!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #348326 - 01/15/10 04:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the setup sounds good but I think you're going to want a separate reservoir from where the pump is. with a plant the size you're planning I can practically guarantee the roots are going to strangle out your pump

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #348559 - 01/16/10 08:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You also need to keep in mind that you only have enough light for about 25-30 sq ft, so unless you increase it, you can't use much of you 15x15 room.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck