Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinearaucaria
Male

Loc: Oregon
if you had
    #34383 - 05/19/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

a 400 w hps with an air cooled reflector some panda film and time how would you set up a grow space knowing that room temps are around 82F?

this is a real situation so hopefully i can get some ideas from you guys

--------------------
Kids are always honest
Cause they don't think their ever gonna die

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: if you had [Re: araucaria]
    #34455 - 05/19/08 10:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

that ambient temps are 81? I'd find a cooler room :P

I know this is frustrating for you but starting another topic on it won't bring any new solutions.

a.) Buy an AC unit for the room and cool the room with it
b.) *MY CHOICE* Construct a grow room around the window AC unit and use it to directly cool the room.
c.) Choose another room, such as the cellar, which stays cooler.
d.) Buy a CO2 system and use it to help deal with the heat
e.) Say fuck it and grow in 90 deg temps and hope for the best
f.) find a way to extract cooler air from another room into your grow room to help cool it down

I really can't think of anything else honestly.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: if you had [Re: coda]
    #34687 - 05/20/08 02:56 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i won;t start any more topics. i kinda decided option E. fuck it and grow @ 90F, at least while i'm home and awake i'll leave the door open for cooler temps. how much can a co2 system  :loveeyes:  lower temps? the only thing that is frustrating is that the temps are like this from now until september, which may explain the local summer weed drought every year.

if i can find a way to reduce the noise and vibration from the fan, i could run it at full speed, but it's in my bedroom and on at night so...

are there any fan muffler teks or something of the like?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #34693 - 05/20/08 03:21 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

araucaria said:
if i can find a way to reduce the noise and vibration from the fan, i could run it at full speed, but it's in my bedroom and on at night so...

Is that why your temperature was exactly the same with or without the cool-tube, because the fan wasn't really running as it should be? I tell you what, you've really kept me perplexed on that one. :lol:

Your fan looks like it should be more than enough for your space though, and I realize it isn't going to lower the temperature from the ambient temperature, but common sense says it should have a better effect than not running the ventilation at all.
:confused:

Moving the grow room close to a window a/c is probably your best option, failing a portable air conditioner if that works better (haven't seen or used one).

I'm not sure how to reduce the noise and vibration from the fan, using acoustic insulated ducting might help, but I'll do some searching for you on that subject. :wink: I'd be running that fan full-speed though.

Also, the CO2 system won't lower temperatures, but it will make the plants grow more suitably with the temperature that you have. For instance, cannabis grows naturally in areas along the Equator, and the temperature there is probably right where you're at and beyond. At the same time, there is a lot more plant life in that area, rain forests as an example, so there is probably more concentration of CO2 there.

Just don't resign to not using the HPS until winter! You're cheating yourself if you do. :tongue: Wal*Mart will have window air conditioners with 5000 BTU's for about $100, and a 5000 BTU air conditioner is for a room with 100 to 150 ft2, and your grow area is like 20 ft3. More than enough, and since this is your bedroom, maybe you'd enjoy a more comfortable sleeping temperature as well. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: if you had [Re: Sirius]
    #34749 - 05/20/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hey, you got me excited about owning an a/c. if work picks up and i make some cash i might just get one. i managed to achieve a ratio of 9 degrees hotter inside than out. which is pretty good considering room temp at 82F.

now are the homemade yeast and sugar water co2 systems anygood? or should i use a real one?

also, one detail: i am using thermoflo ducting, which is reinforced and thermal. should i be using non thermal?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #34838 - 05/20/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

now are the homemade yeast and sugar water co2 systems anygood? or should i use a real one?

In your situation you would need a tank with a valve and regulator. The homem made stuff just won't cut it. Like sirius said, it won't lower temps, it will just allow your plants to better deal with the heat.

With that said, you'd still be better off with an ac unit.

As for noise and vibration from the fan, maybe some dynamat or something along those lines can help lower the vibrations.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom