Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

need new shpongle-y music. suggestions?
    #337747 - 12/29/09 03:27 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm getting close to getting bored with what I've been interested in lately. I recently learned of Shpongle's "Nothing Lasts," and really enjoy this new (to me) facet of electronica/psy-trance/whatever. I've acquired the rest of the Shpongle discography and, of the major LPs, I'm most familiar with the aforementioned "Nothing Lasts" and "Tales of the Inexpressible," though the other two are growing on me. I also recently have been getting into Hallucinogen's "Twisted" and "The Lone Deranger," with the former becoming my favorite of the two.

I'm looking for some more stuff like this, or more chill/sleep-inducing, or perhaps on the other spectrum--exciting/dancey psychedelic stuff. One thing I don't really enjoy is glitchy or noisy samples (pops, clicks, statics, etc.); some groups override otherwise good electronic music with depressing bouts of white noise. One of the things I've found myself enjoying about Hallucinogen/Shpongle stuff is that anytime I think something might get too glitchy, he does something fucking cool with it, throwing it in my face like a spiral (sorry, I'm pretty high).

-Squarepusher-I have "Square Window" and "Ultravisitor," and don't really like either. I've heard Squarepusher songs that I like, but I don't know where they are.

-Aphex Twin-"...I Care Because You Do" I didn't like this much at first, but I feel like some of this could grow on me to some degree. Also, I really like the "Windowlicker" single, and "Nannou" is a beautiful song.

-Animal Collective-"Fall Be Kind" is a lovely new EP by the group. They put out something new just about every year, and I've loved nearly all of it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: need new shpongle-y music. suggestions? [Re: God]
    #337883 - 12/29/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but boards of canada is great. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineScraps
Male

Loc: that shady alley
Re: need new shpongle-y music. suggestions? [Re: THEBats]
    #337995 - 12/29/09 07:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i listen to basically the same music as god so here are a few others

infected mushroom early stuff
younger brother
prometheus
and ifinity project
ye u already put down hallucinogen

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: need new shpongle-y music. suggestions? [Re: Scraps]
    #338080 - 12/29/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Spot on with the Boards of Canada suggestion, Bats! Great chill music.
Scraps, I'll have to start working my way through your list, I'm liking Infected Mushroom's "Classical Mushroom" so far.

Keep the ideas coming!

OfflineScraps
Male

Loc: that shady alley
    #338124 - 12/30/09 12:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ye i stronly suggest ''younger brother'' as the majority of the work done by them is Simon posford (one half of shpongle)

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
    #338877 - 01/02/10 02:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like you like psy with a really melodic sound.  Youd probably like the albums alphabetically divided highway by kino oko.  also u-recken-deeper into man has a melodious but driving sound.

electrypnose-funked up is a bit like a funk-ed/electro'ed out version of shpongle

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

OfflineCosmoCoastin
BURRstingg
 User Gallery

Loc: Black Hole
Re: need new shpongle-y music. suggestions? [Re: Doitagain]
    #342128 - 01/07/10 01:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

http://the_wireless_penguin.podomatic.com/
stranger in a strange land chp. 1-4 are definitely worth a download. its like one giant song/story and all the songs flow into one another.

Entheogenic is pretty good ambient stuff too, recommend their self-titled

--------------------
occupied: perZonal chemica-lecular reZearch

BOUT TA GET ON DOWN

Edited by CosmoCoastin (01/07/10 01:10 AM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Similar but not Shpongle [Re: God]
    #342886 - 01/07/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You like Shpongle too eh? So do I!

Did you get Shpongle's newest album just released November 28, 2009? Its called Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland. Sounds similar to "Tales of the Inexpressible", which happens to be my favorite album.

Here's the album cover, in case you haven't...

One artist that is sorta-similar is Phutureprimitive. It has more of a Dub/psy-reggae feel too it, not as experimental and "worldly" as Shpongle thou.

Also, ever heard of Space Tribe?

^They are more fast-paced "I'm on DMT" Psy-Trance, but they definitely have a Shpongle-esque feeling. Try out "Space Bass" or "Dynamic", those are my favorite tracks. If you read the linear notes of "Are You Shpongled?", you see that Simon & Raja thank the guys from Space Tribe. Pretty cool eh?

Bluetech is another artist, especially his album "Prima Materia".

He even mentions Shpongle" as one of his inspiration artist, who is number 6 of 21 on the list! Pretty cool dude...Bluetech is more "organic electronic" psy-dub, but this album definitely has some Shpongle relatedness. For example, track #2 "Prophetic Sines" has real instruments (filtered and warped) with a real female voice (filtered and sliced as well), just like "Dorest Perspection". I believe he was directly influnced by this song. Also, the last track "Cliffdiving" is like Bluetech's version of "Flute Fruit", expect with a piano instead of a flute. Lots of parrallels between these artists.

Enjoy it, but remember, there is nothing like Shpongle...

Music to My Ears
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
Re: Similar but not Shpongle [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #343591 - 01/08/10 08:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

kino oko is :vaped:

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck