Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

magnessium definciency? pic's now
    #337007 - 12/27/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

From the plant problem solver:
Quote:

3) Margins of the leaves are turned up, and the tips may be twisted. Leaves are yellowing (and may turn brown), but the veins remain somewhat green. >> Magnesium (Mg) deficiency. b) If not, go to #4.

Everything is true except the yellow leaves. plant is about 3 weeks old in organic MG mixed with bone and blood meal and dolotime lime. soil PH 6.8 no food given to plant yet and it hasn't been watered for 2 days so i ruled out a bad watering. Also only the two sets of new fan leaves show this all other leaves remain flat and gorgeous dark green with a semi gloss sheen.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Edited by pha3r0 (12/27/09 12:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: magnessium definciency? pic's soon [Re: pha3r0]
    #337008 - 12/27/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like a case of nute burn.  How hot are the temps?  Is this affecting all plants?  Only the newest growth?  How long has the problem been happening?  How old?  Are you sure your soil is 6.8 (MG is notoriously acidic and time released so its a no no for cannabis)?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: magnessium definciency? pic's soon [Re: coda]
    #337018 - 12/27/09 12:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

it's organic MG with no ferts or moisture control or nothing just dirt, and several fucking rocks those fuckers. defiantly next round will be in FF soil.

i guess you can say its affecting most the new growth the next sets of leaves arn't fanned out much yet so hard to see.
Soil PH is 6.8, checked at the last watering 2 days ago.

the whole grow is only one plant right now temps over last 24hours or so 70-85 plant is about 6 inches from bulbs (3x 14w daylight CFL 1x 65w 2700k CFL) and you can't even feel the warmth from lamps if you put hand over the plant. i set them up to be vented by a 6" desk fan which is working very nicely.

maybe i should start a grow log for this puppy might be better for keeping track of?

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #337082 - 12/27/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Grow logs always help, they also let you organize your thoughts and find a solution quicker by examining your symptoms.  Anyways, yellowing on new growth usually denotes a micro nute deficiency.  Iron, Mg, and Sulfur are usually what's needed.  Now, this could be due to you not having any in your nutes, or, due to a lockout.  Fixing the first situation is easy as you can just add it in and let them get it.  If it's locked out, you need to "unlock" the soil by getting your substrate to the correct Ph, flushing out any buildup, and letting your plants absorb the nutes that were being locked out.

Did you test your soil by testing the run off, or did you actually test your soil?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: magnessium definciency? pic's soon [Re: coda]
    #337219 - 12/27/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

soil is tested with a soil probe exactly as the instructions say. he doesn't have a water tester but its getting distilled water not tap water. its still probably 7ish ph but its better then the 8+ his city water is.

I have been trying to find info on some ghetto ph down solutions cause he wont be buying anything for a week or two so making any kind of an adjustment to water is kinda risky without a baseline.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#337692 - 12/28/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

okay, today i got a look at it again and it does seem to be affecting mainly the newer growth. However the lower sets of leaves have started to curl in the margins just slightly and even after it was watered today it didn't pick itself back up as we had expected.

This leaves me to believe it is a Mg deficiency like coda suggested and he has acquired some Epsom salt to correct it.

What i want to know is should he go ahead and water it again now with the Mg solution or just wait till next watering? it just go a good drenching today and has been going 3 days between.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337696 - 12/28/09 10:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What's the RH in your room??  The leaf tip curling could be due to too low of a humidity level in your room.

I would wait until the next watering to add the epsom.  No need to bog down your roots with too much water.  The plant's don't look like they're hurting super bad so I'm sure it can wait.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: magnessium definciency? pic's soon [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #337700 - 12/28/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

this is my sour diesel at the moment. im pretty sure this is a magnesium deficiency. look a bit different than yours...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: magnessium definciency? pic's soon [Re: Pilze]
    #337706 - 12/28/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I don't feel that he has Mg deficiency.  Mg def. usually starts affecting the older/lower growth first as it's a mobile nutrient.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#337708 - 12/28/09 10:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hawk, can you tell me if what you see in my plant looks like a Mg deficiency?

im waiting for the light to turn off before i spray the plant down.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337710 - 12/28/09 10:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It sure looks like it to me, have you flushed and then started over on it adding epsom??

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337711 - 12/28/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what nutes are you using again??

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#337712 - 12/28/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hawks, well the RH is 20ish so if thats a possible culprit he has a nice humidifier that i am sure he can use and better to try that first then water again and add more Mg than might be needed.

Pilze, those look like lower leaves this is only on the new stuff. and it is a lot worse ( no bad vibes ) then this. if it is on the upper nodes how long has it been going on?

thanks hawks i will call him now and report back on any changes in the AM.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337715 - 12/28/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
Hawks, well the RH is 20ish so if thats a possible culprit he has a nice humidifier that i am sure he can use and better to try that first then water again and add more Mg than might be needed.

Pilze, those look like lower leaves this is only on the new stuff. and it is a lot worse ( no bad vibes ) then this. if it is on the upper nodes how long has it been going on?

thanks hawks i will call him now and report back on any changes in the AM.

That's my point, Mg deficiency starts with the lower leaves first and then will work it's way up as it progresses.  It will always show up on the lower leaves first!!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#337721 - 12/28/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
It sure looks like it to me, have you flushed and then started over on it adding epsom??

im gonna run 5 gallons through the pot in a minute and then water it with a gallon of distilled water with 2 tsps of epsom salt. will mist the plant with some as well.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#337722 - 12/28/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Okay well i searched here and abroad and found a few posts saying Mg problems started at the top and with curling or twisting leaf edges. if the starting at the top part is wrong then that is out cause it's definatly only on the top and new leaves.

he's kicked on the humidifier RH will be up soon we will see. in the AM i am gowing to post up a log for this bad girl (hopefully) and show you the box i rigged up for him. it's not special but i think its okay for a first go and for less then $50 hes stoked.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337726 - 12/28/09 11:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I just checked 2 different books, both Jorge and Green say it starts with the lower leaves.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337727 - 12/28/09 11:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Direct quote  Indoor Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes, pg. 262

"Progression of deficiency symptoms at a glance:  No deficiency symptoms are visible during the first 3-4 weeks.  In the 4th to 6th the first signs of deficiency appear.  Interveinal yellowing and irregular rust brown spots appear on older and middle-aged leaves.  Younger leaves remain healthy. 

Leag tips turn brown and curl upward as the deficiency progresses.  Rust brown spots multiply and interveinal yellowing increases.  Rust brown spots and yellowing progress, starting at the bottom of the plant and advancing to the top of the entire plant.

--------------------

-niteowl

Edited by Hawksresurrection (12/28/09 11:20 PM)

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#337731 - 12/28/09 11:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yep. i just read that part today.

i have the beginning stages of that on my big jack and my big indica.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#337733 - 12/28/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

good stuff hawks thanks just talked to him. humidity is stabilized at 60 we will wait and see. it's really only just 3 weeks old  or so and by that info it shouldn't be showing any deficiencies just yet. Epsom salt on standby i guess.

Oh and he's already super excited the stalk is almost as thick now as the last plant was at harvest time.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder