Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshags420
Stranger

co2 and fresh air
    #331500 - 12/14/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

we are rethinking our air flow for a pair of tents and my biggest question is about the "fresh" air. We use a co2 injection system so is it that important to bring air from the outdoors in the tents or would new air from inside the house be sufficient? we have been growing with indoor air and co2 injection with a lot of success for over a year it works but would outside air be substantially better?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: co2 and fresh air [Re: shags420]
    #331611 - 12/15/09 02:09 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If your supplementing with CO2 the no, you don't need the fresh air exchange as long as your temps and humidity and what not are all in control.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineshags420
Stranger

Re: co2 and fresh air [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #331847 - 12/15/09 04:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the reply! that is what I thought but I feel better hearing somebody else say it. our humidity is way out of whack which is why we are adding intake fans to run at the same time as our exhaust. hopefully the added air flow will penetrate the canopy better and remove more of the humid air. we are also going to periodically run the intakes without the exhaust for 1 minute just to stir up the co2 inside the cabinets.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #332189 - 12/16/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Just so you know if the cabinet you grow in is not a inclosed system adding the co2 hasn't added one gram of weight to what your doing it has just been a drain on your wallet. There is a reason why every single major breeder stopped using co2 and switched to a constant airflow years ago,

If your not gonna fully inclose the system meaning air conditioners and no outside air go with the co2. Otherwise focus on keeping the humidity and temps right with constant airflow both your plants and yields will thank you.
:thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineshags420
Stranger

Re: co2 and fresh air [Re: Magash]
    #332558 - 12/16/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the cabinets are not 100% sealed but they don't have huge holes in them. they are hydro hut type tents that each have one of the bottom vent flaps sealed and a small crack under the door where the plumbing runs in. Is that enough gap for all of the co2 to leak out? we did buy the co2 system pretty early in our growing career so it is possible that the increase in yields we had were from gaining experience and fine tuning things. when you say in a fully inclosed system no outside air enters the cabinet how are heat and humidity evacuated? do you use dehumidifiers and air conditioners to deal with it? could you point me to any articles about constant airflow vs co2 injection? I will definitely do some searching in the mean time but any more info or help would be appreciated.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #332618 - 12/17/09 03:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well myself I'm into lots of ventilation. Closed systems need dehumidifiers and air conditioners in them. I use the tents myself.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineshags420
Stranger

#332916 - 12/17/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well I'm sold. we have two tents so we are going to do one with co2 and one with out. I have been thinking about this constant airflow thing and I expect I will find out that you are right. The furnace in our house draws fresh air from under the house (there are tons of vents that go right outside down there and the air feels and smells fresh) filters it and blows it through the entire house. Is this air going to contain reasonable amounts of co2 for good growth? my concern with air from the outdoors is that it is pretty cold right now and I don't have a lot of extra money for heating it. thanks again for the help now it's time to hurry up and wait.

Edited by shags420 (12/17/09 06:11 PM)

Offlineshags420
Stranger

#332946 - 12/17/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

out of curiosity what are the particulars of your system? hydro? strain? how much light do you have on those? sitting here drooling over those pics, hope I get some fatty dumpers like those.
so hypothetically if a tent full of plants that were three weeks into flower were benefitting from co2 supplementation would there be any danger in stopping the co2 and doing constant air flow? sorry for the barrage of questions but you seem to have better buds then I do.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #333008 - 12/17/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I do seeds and cuttings for clubs. Have several gardens each 6000watts. Each 4x4 space uses a 1000watt light, Systems use are the Multi-flow by Greentrees Hydroponics. 21 mothers each a different strain.

Quote:

if a tent full of plants that were three weeks into flower were benefitting from co2 supplementation would there be any danger in stopping the co2 and doing constant air flow

No

Quote:

sorry for the barrage of questions

Not a problem, if I can't answer the questions I shouldn't be a moderator here. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #333081 - 12/17/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a little confused.  So each tent has 6000 watts??  And for every 16 square feet you have 1000 watts of light??

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: co2 and fresh air [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #333097 - 12/18/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

lol....sorry. Each 4x8 tent has 2 1000s in it. 3 per garden,

--------------------

Offlineshags420
Stranger

#333098 - 12/18/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

thanks again for the help. hopefully a camera shows up under the tree next week so I can at least get some pics up. I was slightly confused about the lighting answer too, it sounds like you have 1000 watts (hps?) for every 16 sq ft. my tents are definitely under powered in the lighting department but this house sucks and there is only so much power we can use and we are about at the limit.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #333107 - 12/18/09 02:31 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That is exactly what it works out to. 1-1000 per ever 16 sq feet. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineshags420
Stranger

#337716 - 12/28/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

we switched both tents over to constant airflow and the plants love it. it has only been a week but I can already tell this is going to bump our harvests to the next level. I was expecting to find that you were right but I was not expecting this rapid of growth! thank you for the great advice.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #337766 - 12/29/09 08:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Glad it worked. Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking co2 but it's more of a have to do type of thing like if you have to fully enclose the system for some reason and not allow outside air in or out. These systems cost a ton to set up and to run.

Now constant airflow systems have a flow of air going past the plants so the co2 surrounding the leaf area is constantly getting exchanged. These systems give yields as high as enclosed systems easy and are easier to run and costs less to take care of. (remember enclosed systems need dehumidifiers and air conditioning). Plus the fact that constant airflow takes care of the humidity and temps in the system. :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag