Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

wooden reservoir: waterproofing?
    #326532 - 12/04/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If one were to build a reservoir out of particle board and 2x4s, what would be the best way to go about waterproofing the interior to absolutely prevent leaks? Pond liner could be a possibility, but it's a bit expensive, seems difficult to work with, and doesn't come in small enough amounts for my purposes.

What about marine epoxy resin? Has anyone worked with this? How effective would it be at holding in a few gallons of water?

Any other ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: God]
    #326549 - 12/04/09 04:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

6 mil plastic liner is the cheapest way to do it. Wanna do it right use the epoxy  resin.

Here is a old flood and drain system I made back in the day with 6 mil plastic.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: Magash]
    #326569 - 12/04/09 07:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's what I was going to suggest... Why not just line it with the thinnest plastic roll you can find?  There should be no possibility of puncture, as I couldn't think of a reason to have anything sharp in or that near them.

That looks like a pretty nice setup magash.

"Back in the day"  Hah I love it.  Very few people have been into the scene as long as you have.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #326596 - 12/04/09 08:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Fiberglass mat and epoxy resin are cheap and easy to find at any homedepot. hell, you could even get away with the cheaper polyester resin for this job.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: Inverted]
    #326665 - 12/04/09 12:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I had a bunch of homemade trays in 98. They worked out well I just decided to go back to soil for a bit. I go back and fourth like now I'm back hydro again.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #326736 - 12/04/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so magash I'm getting sick of filling a couple gallon jugs with water and measuring nutes from all my different bottles every single day for my hempy buckets, do you think aeroponics are worth the extra investment of time and money to set it up over just a simple ebb and flow or drip system? I want to do some kind of recirculating system so I only have to change the water like every 2 weeks or so, but I can't decide which kind would allow for the best balance of simplicity vs. yield.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #326748 - 12/04/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all the quick replies, guys. I had briefly considered plastic liner, but couldn't really think of how to attach it to the interior properly. Thinking more on it, I figure I could use glue if necessary, but a staple gun and a dab of silicon sealant over each staple might do the trick just as well (and, unlike lots of glue, I already have those things).

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #326750 - 12/04/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yep, just silicone caulking on all the seams would probably be just as good

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #326797 - 12/04/09 04:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
Thanks for all the quick replies, guys. I had briefly considered plastic liner, but couldn't really think of how to attach it to the interior properly. Thinking more on it, I figure I could use glue if necessary, but a staple gun and a dab of silicon sealant over each staple might do the trick just as well (and, unlike lots of glue, I already have those things).

The weight of the water alone would force it to the outer borders...

Think guys think!  Then you can just wrap it over the top and staple on the outside so you don't risk any leaks.

Use your head :wink:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: Inverted]
    #326850 - 12/04/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's a good point, Inverted. However, due to my personal circumstances, it'd be bad news to get water involved until the area is already waterproofed (I'll be using a hose, and any leaks would put the downstairs in jeopardy). Also, I'd rather get it so that the plastic will stay down even when there's no water in the res, just for neatness purposes. If I don't do it right at the beginning, I'll never fix it halfway through, and the clutter will always be a bother.

Note for continuity's sake: I plan to put duct tape wherever I'll be putting a staple, to reinforce the plastic and prevent it tearing off the staple. Then I'll put silicon gel over each staple, to prevent water leaking through the floor of my cab.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: wooden reservoir: waterproofing? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #326999 - 12/04/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

As far as hydro go my personal fav way and the way I've gotten the best results is with ebb and flow. I currently use the multi flow system by greentrees hydroponics.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328543 - 12/08/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Neat and easy way to attach plastic liner to a tray: cut a piece of plastic with lots of overhang, cover tray with plastic, fill with water, fold plastic over the outside of the tray, apply staples (to outside edge), and cut away excess plastic. It will stay down just fine.

Epoxy resin is a fantastic way to make a permanent tray for this kind of purpose but it will take about 2 weeks to build due to the various steps/coats in order to allow time for each to cure and dry properly.

P.S. Fabric stores sell extremely thick plastic sheets by the yard to insulate windows and make furniture coverings...

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates