Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Using cold attic air for cooling light
    #308181 - 11/02/09 08:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Having issues figuring out the ideal setup for my grow room.  4X6X8 room, fully enclosed.

My thoughts are using the cold air from my attic during the Canadian winter to cool my cool tube on my 1000 watt hps light.  Cold air will be sucked down out of the attic using my inline fan and through the cool tube, then back out into the attic. 

What kind of problems might I face?  Yes this will keep the light incredibly cool and allow me to more properly control the temperatures in my space, but can I use air that becomes too cold for use?  We get below freezing temperatures for many months, and the attic will end up being close to the outdoor temperature.

Can the air get too cold for the light or am I being silly?

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Using cold attic air for cooling light [Re: Azyle00]
    #308184 - 11/02/09 08:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not if its vented properly. What I mean is...Only use that air for the light and make sure it doesn't get leaked in to your grow area...But even if it were to get in your grow area I doubt it would have much of an effect.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Using cold attic air for cooling light [Re: mhbound]
    #308189 - 11/02/09 08:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No it will be totally isolated.  Right now I am sucking the air from the actual room, into the light and out into the attic then have a 4" vent from the room into the attic that allows the pressure to help vent the room.  So cold air rushes into the room.  It works ok during the day, giving me temps of 75-80, but it drops to near 60 at night.  Problem is that it will be too cold as winter comes, I can already tell as it gets very cold at night already.  When we have full on winter, the room will be too cold for this system, so need to rethink it.  Planning to try to isolate and vent the light as discussed, it should reduce the lamp heat greatly and allow me to control the inside temp better.

I am thinking to have a vent to the attic and reopen the heating duct in the room that I sealed up.  Then the temperature blowing into the room from the vent is 72-75 and would cause the air to escape up into the attic due to pressure, heat rising, temp differences.  I am not sure if that is enough air exchange however, it is 200 CBfeet in the space...also considering to buy a second inline fan, so then have one for venting and one for cooling the light, but was hoping to not have too...

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#308191 - 11/02/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If your room is completely sealed like you say your best bet is to go ahead and get a second fan...I haven't had a grow in my new place but I ran 3 fans in my last room...It gives you more control over your grow environment.

Yes, it costs more, but its well worth it IMO.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#308192 - 11/02/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok your right...why save $100 when it means so much more down the road.  So plan will be to vent out to attic, draw air in from another room in the house, should achieve a slightly warmer environment in the room than the overall house during winter, vent properly and keep the light nice and cool.

Guess I have my project for the day lol.

Pics later.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#308194 - 11/02/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

And depending on the size of your attic, you should be able to keep your attic "mildly" warmer since you'll be venting warm air in to it...Which should provide a good temp for the light to be cooled with without affecting the grow room as a whole.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#308195 - 11/02/09 09:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Should I perhaps allow the out and in "interact" at all too allow the air coming in to be slightly warmer as well?  I can aim the warm air venting into the attic at the vent sucking in etc.  I might play a bit with it.  Anyhow it will be a lot better than it is now, far too much fluctuation I can tell based on attic temps and certainly will not do long term in cold winters or hot summers.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#308206 - 11/02/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yea you'll have to play with it...Its one of those things, it depends a lot on the design of the room.

But yea venting the air near where the air will be sucked in from may be a good idea.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#308440 - 11/02/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Couple hundred later and some mod work and all is done :smile:

Here are the pics:

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#308443 - 11/02/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Very nice...I see absolutely no reason for you to have any trouble in that room...Shit man you did a good job :thumbup:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#308466 - 11/02/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I am a bit of a perfectionist with stuff so I like it to all work and make sense.

Tuck Tape is the greatest gift to the grow room builder ever invented.

So I have the cool air room at about 70 and I am already seeing grow room temperatures of 80-85 at the canopy level under the light.  Seeing 75-80 at various parts of the room, 75 at floor near the in vent and 80-85 near the roof.  Humidity is 48 degrees.  Attic right now is at 60 degrees.  Expect it of course to get much cooler for the light.

So I guess if this is my ceiling for temperatures already at 85 degrees and lowering, I am certainly on the right track.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #308579 - 11/02/09 09:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

He he he.....I like the perfectionist attitude but eventually your gonna get to the point where if it's comfortable for you it is for them point. :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom