Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

Cool White T5 vs...
    #308520 - 11/02/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have a 2 foot length restriction for my floro lighting options. I can get 2' T5 or T8 strips no problem. Getting the 2' daylight bulbs is another question. I cant find them anywhere.

My question is this, since its so easy to get 2' T12 bulbs in daylight, are T5 cool white or warm white bulbs better than T12 daylights?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Cool White T5 vs... [Re: smoked_out_haze]
    #308530 - 11/02/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I checked my Home Depot today.  You are correct, they do not sell 2' T5s or T8s.  I was incorrect and realised now they simply sell the 4' T8's and 4' and 2' T12's in the correct colours.

So now you do need to find a source of 6500K Lumen T5s or T8s.

You cannot use those other bulbs, they will affect the grow, quality and unless using auto-flowering, can cause issues getting them to flower correctly.  You are already using a less than perfect lighting system so getting the highest output of the correct colour spectrum is important.

I will assume the possibility of you using 4' lights is not an option.

Give me a bit and I will help you find a source in the GTA if there is one.

If we cannot find you T8s or T5s, then you will need to use the 2' T12's, Daylight Deluxe that Home Depot sells.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Cool White T5 vs... [Re: Azyle00]
    #308537 - 11/02/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I had this same problem and I just converted a 150w security HPS light and mounted a axial fan and some ducting on it for venting.

--------------------

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Cool White T5 vs... [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #308557 - 11/02/09 09:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Off hand, unless you call electrical supply companies and ask if they carry T8s at 2' length that are 6500K spectrum etc, there are no major chains selling those bulbs.  However, all the vendors selling in those stores, Phillips, GE, Sylvania etc all make a bulb like you need in both T8 and T5, 24".  You can either order them online direct or simply ask Home Depot to special order them for you, which they or Canadian Tire or Home Hardware all generally will do provided you have model numbers etc.  Here is the link to those model numbers and info:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/catalog_product_list.cfm?cat_num=0604&sort_by=&list_by_manufacturer=&list_by_color_finish=&list_by_color_temp=6500&list_by_watt=&list_by_volt=&list_by_bulbtype=&list_by_basetype=&list_by_lights=&list_by_wire_color=&list_by_length=24&list_by_type=&list_by_type2=&list_source=&portal_type=&search_type=&ansi=

And for T5 bulbs:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/catalog_product_list.cfm?cat_num=0602&sort_by=&list_by_manufacturer=&list_by_color_finish=&list_by_color_temp=6500&list_by_watt=&list_by_volt=&list_by_bulbtype=&list_by_basetype=&list_by_lights=&list_by_wire_color=&list_by_length=&list_by_type=&list_by_type2=&list_source=&portal_type=&search_type=&ansi=

Disclaimer:  This is not an advertisement by me.

Waiting a week for special order, even 2 weeks is going to be worth it imho.  T12s output is just not sick enough, they are too big and use the most energy of all the bulbs.  Build a T5 rig to envy all micro growers out there I say :smile:

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #308560 - 11/02/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/fluorescent-grow-lights-c-23_99.html

I think they may have the bulbs you're looking for.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Cool White T5 vs... [Re: Stoneth]
    #308568 - 11/02/09 09:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Our location of Canada makes ordering online difficult however, shipping rises quickly along with slower delivery.  Unless it is from a Canadian online supplier or he orders direct from a Home Depot etc.

He faces a lot of issues I did along the way in trying to play with Flo lights.  I was going to also build a killer T5 rack but found no easy source of the lights (like Home Depot).  But ya, our local grow shops carry the HO ones at severly marked up prices.  The Phillips ones are the cheap ones that would be awesome if easily purchasable for micro grows...up here of course.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#308871 - 11/03/09 06:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thats awesome Azyle00, thanks man.

I have a list of stores in my area I'm going to call today. That information will definitely help.

By the way, this is only for vegging. I have a 430W HPS for flowering. I'm just trying to make a veg box so I can grow out some seedlings. Once the plants are big enough to show sex I'm gonna keep a female or two in the veg box but move the rest of the females into the room with the HPS but just veg them with the HPS. Then the veg box will be used to keep the mother or two and house young cuttings. But in the future I plan on using the HPS for vegging and flowering.

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#308872 - 11/03/09 07:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So I just placed an order with an electric supply company in the area and they are getting me some T5 6500K 2' bulbs. Should be here in a couple days :laugh:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#308896 - 11/03/09 08:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome.

Glad it worked out.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlinesmoked_out_haze
artwork. dope.

#312047 - 11/07/09 09:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So I picked up what I ordered and upon opening everything up I realized that the bulbs are actually 22" and the strip is 24". I'm also reading the specs on the ballast in the strip and it says its a T8 ballast. It says "F32T8". Would this be a problem? Also, if I moved the pieces that the ends of the bulb plug into so that they're 22" inches apart somehow, would that work?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #312064 - 11/07/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i'd use a bulb that's the proper size for your fixture.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals