Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps
    #304490 - 10/27/09 12:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps
Ingredients.....

3mx1.5m grow tent

2 - 600w hps with cool tube reflector
13w LED grow light
8 - 4' growlux florescent tubes (trying to make DIY tube fixture where i will take apart old 2 tube fixtures to make one where 8 tubes are close together on a piece of plywood)

2 - 150mm inline fans
150mm acoustic ducting

GH Flora Nova grow and bloom.
Ph pen
Air bubbler with air stone.

50 random seeds of unknown strain (friend says it takes 8 weeks to flower)
4 clones from friend(same strain as seeds)

Organic potting mix (coco coir based)
perlite
vermiculite
worm castings
composted poultry manure
24 - 3 gal or 15 litre pots with saucers (hand watered)

Co2 monitor (planning to use fermentation method)

Carbon filter with 200mm inline fan

Ok so this is my 1st proper grow in years. So I'm going to ask a lot of questions and seem slightly retarded when it comes to certain things.
I will take some pics tonight and post them up soon.
What I want is some good quality smoke (working with the genetics I have available), which is clipped, dried, and cured properly. I'm sick and tired of the crap on the market where I am.

I'm hoping that some of you more experienced ones will help/guide a young padawan grasshopper through this and teach him the ropes to a successful harvest...so please pull up a seat and hopefully this thread can teach a few others as well.

The Story begins.....

So this is where I am now......I have 50 seeds germinating in jiffy pellets(started 2 days ago), where I hope above 90% or 45 of them will sprout. Then about 50% of those will be females. So I should have around 22 healthy female plants if all goes well. I plan to have 24 3gal pots in the 3mx1.5m tent so I will take some cutting from the clones that I have now to make up for things if need be.
Seedling Questions:

1) I normally don't give most plants any nutes in jiffy pellets till the 2nd week of growth or till they look like they have a N deficiency…..is this the proper protocol to follow when dealing with cannabis, or do most of you recommend feeding in the 1st 2 weeks of growth?

2) If I want to keep my plants small, how long is the minimum I should veg them out for ?

3) I am planning to construct an 8 tube florescent fixture to put my 4’ growluxes in, would this be too strong for little seedlings? Or can I just raise the light a little….

4) When using compact fluorescents for seedling growth, which type of bulbs should I use? I have cool whites which say 4000k….are these good?

5) Is it better to transplant from jiffy pellet into the 3gal pot or to transplant twice or several times before finally settling into the 3gal?

I will be updating with pics soon! Thanks in advance for the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: shakalaka]
    #304768 - 10/27/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome!

Now for your questions:

1) I normally don't give most plants any nutes in jiffy pellets till the 2nd week of growth or till they look like they have a N deficiency…..is this the proper protocol to follow when dealing with cannabis, or do most of you recommend feeding in the 1st 2 weeks of growth?

This is fairly accurate.  I tend to wait 3 weeks from sprout or atleast 4 Nodes have developed.  They, of course, will tell you if you have waited too long.

2) If I want to keep my plants small, how long is the minimum I should veg them out for ?

Until they are the height you like.  Just remember that most plants grow a considerable amount during flowering.  Depending on strain and lighting of course.  Consider adopting LST tek or SOG, ScrOG styles as a way to build a uniform canopy, as it is not so much about keeping them small as keeping the canopy low and even and close to your flo lights, you really need those lights 1-2" max distance from the canopy during the grow.  Depending on your tek/style, you might need to use raisers (books, other pots etc) to raise the smaller plants, as well as having your flo lights on some kind of adjustable system.  Quite simple to do both things.

3) I am planning to construct an 8 tube florescent fixture to put my 4’ growluxes in, would this be too strong for little seedlings? Or can I just raise the light a little….

Make it adjustable.  I have never had a problem with seedlings and flo lights as long as you keep about 1" away.  The biggest problem is being too far and the seedlings stretch and this is not what you want.

4) When using compact fluorescents for seedling growth, which type of bulbs should I use? I have cool whites which say 4000k….are these good?

Not really.  You need 6500Kelvin during the veg period and 2700Kelvin during the flowering period.  6500's are often called Daylight Deluxe, Phillips makes em and you can get T12s @40 watts, 2350Lumens or T8s @32 watts, 2900 Lumens.  The T8s are more efficient and higher Lumens and are a better light.  Your ballast can support either bulb.  T5s are the best however as they are the least watts per bulb and are so small you can fit them into a much tighter space.

Obviously if your plan is to transfer them into the HPS grow tent, then buying flowering 2700Kelvin flos is a waste of money.

5) Is it better to transplant from jiffy pellet into the 3gal pot or to transplant twice or several times before finally settling into the 3gal?

It is better, imho, to transplant as few times as possible.  There is no reason you cannot transpant into a 3gal pot from the jiffy.  This is how I have done it always and never an issue.  3gal is the minimum for what you are trying to do and can very well serve for the whole grow without another transplant.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.  See my current grow project for more information as it is similar to what you are attempting to do.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: Azyle00]
    #305297 - 10/28/09 05:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#305943 - 10/29/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

some seeds started poppin up today...excting!
tested the ph of the runoff and it showed 5.1 ...is that too low?
i upped my nutes to 5.6 and started givin them that.
Co2 monitor says 2000ppm

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#307299 - 10/31/09 06:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

7 seeds have germinated so far and are under the LED.
I've started watering my plants at 6-6.2 Ph and it comes out just under 7 in the runoff.
The new growth was looking pretty lime green and i think it was because the ph was too low at 1st....but it seems to be greening up again..hopefully 6-6.2 is the right level for them.
There are lil flies that are flying around the pots and goin into the soil...i guess they are laying eggs there, went out and got some sticky yellow traps.

Edited by shakalaka (10/31/09 07:36 AM)

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#307312 - 10/31/09 07:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#308131 - 11/02/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

put the some seedlings into big pots and put them under the hps.
put up the fans and ducting.

The tips of the plants or new growth are looking very lime green compared to the rest of the plant...i've adjusted the pf to around 6.5...and it comes out around 7....so im not sure whats the problem now.
anyone got any ideas?

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#308140 - 11/02/09 01:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
    #308155 - 11/02/09 02:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shakalaka said:
7 seeds have germinated so far and are under the LED.
I've started watering my plants at 6-6.2 Ph and it comes out just under 7 in the runoff.
The new growth was looking pretty lime green and i think it was because the ph was too low at 1st....but it seems to be greening up again..hopefully 6-6.2 is the right level for them.
There are lil flies that are flying around the pots and goin into the soil...i guess they are laying eggs there, went out and got some sticky yellow traps.

those little flies are probably fungus gnats.  (just my guess though). i had a big problem with them during my first grow and ended up terminating the plant. :frown:

how often do you water?

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #308159 - 11/02/09 02:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I water them everyday once a day...and let more than 10% of it run out the bottom. The yellow sticky strip i bought is def working...there are about 10-15 of them on there now. I've had them before too, so this time i knew what to do before it got out of control.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #308209 - 11/02/09 09:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oh man, why are you using cooltubes if you're not going to hook them up to ducting? :facepalm:

--------------------

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #308534 - 11/02/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I put up the fans and ducting already...check out the last pic i posted. Just didnt have time to do it before. Now the lights are much closer, and the tent temps are better.

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#316356 - 11/16/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBlue Moon Sunshine
Butthole surfer

Loc: Southern IL & STL
    #316644 - 11/16/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's insane.  You got more equipment in that room than a meth lab.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: Blue Moon Sunshine]
    #316816 - 11/16/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If you have fungal gnats and are merely killing the flies, you are not solving the problem.  The eggs/larvae are the problem and they will eat all the fungus in the soil that attracted them, likely from overwatering...and then your root tips are next.  Also, the plants begin to show damage from the roots being gnawed on that will appear as yellowing etc, similar to other problems related to PH and Nute Def/Burn, further fooling and complicating the issue.

Nematodes, which can be ordered online, are the primary solution to fungas gnats as they kill all the larvae and eggs in the soil, ending the problem very quickly.  Also, covering the top of the soil in 1" of sand will make it impossible for the flies to lay future eggs etc.

I had fungus gnats and Nematode application plus a wolf spider in the grow room have completely eradicated the problem.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#316821 - 11/16/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Also, your lights are too far away from the smaller plants unless there is some reason to not have them closer.  With a functioning cool tube system, there is no reason you cannot get the tube 12-14 inches away from the canopy at all times.  I use 1000 watt with cool tube and never have my plants further than 24 inch and strive for 14 inch distance all the time.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

Re: My 3mx1.5m growtent with 2x600w hps [Re: Blue Moon Sunshine]
    #316831 - 11/16/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

haha ya...i pretty much need everything in there except for the heater...it just got hot all of a sudden, so i got myself an ac cuz temps were gettin above 35 c in there...
other updates....

* Took 20 clones from the mothers. 5 from each plant and labeled them 1,2,3,4...so i know which plant they came from...gonna flower them out and figure out which i want to keep as a mother. If any. Used coco and perlite as the cloning medium and put it into plastic cups and put them in a dome. They look good so far at day 3...so hoping for roots soon.

* The 50 seeds that i planted didn't do very well at all...they must have been old and kept badly. 9 out of 50 sprouted...3 of them look healthy enough to keep...the other ones looked stunted or mutated from when they emerged. Must be bad seed stock.
I fond some bagseed in buddy's weed and planted those....all of them germinated...and seem to be doing well...so we'll see how those go.
I will be buying seeds online after the 1st crop cuz i know this local genetics wont be that great....but we'll see.

* Bought a MH 400W lamp for the mothers and other veg shit for when i drop the clones into 12/12...i will move the mothers into that tent...and veg the clones for a week.

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#316885 - 11/16/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
If you have fungal gnats and are merely killing the flies, you are not solving the problem.  The eggs/larvae are the problem and they will eat all the fungus in the soil that attracted them, likely from overwatering...and then your root tips are next.  Also, the plants begin to show damage from the roots being gnawed on that will appear as yellowing etc, similar to other problems related to PH and Nute Def/Burn, further fooling and complicating the issue.

Nematodes, which can be ordered online, are the primary solution to fungas gnats as they kill all the larvae and eggs in the soil, ending the problem very quickly.  Also, covering the top of the soil in 1" of sand will make it impossible for the flies to lay future eggs etc.

I had fungus gnats and Nematode application plus a wolf spider in the grow room have completely eradicated the problem.

I heard that the sticky traps will eventually stop the adults from reproducing, which eventually will stop the laying of eggs and larvae...the problem was caught early and not allowed to get out of control...i think i have it under control now, and the plants look healthy and green and growin well. I will look into the nematodes though...if its an option to buy where i am.

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#316895 - 11/16/09 07:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Also, your lights are too far away from the smaller plants unless there is some reason to not have them closer.  With a functioning cool tube system, there is no reason you cannot get the tube 12-14 inches away from the canopy at all times.  I use 1000 watt with cool tube and never have my plants further than 24 inch and strive for 14 inch distance all the time.

Well i had the seedlings about 3 feet away from the 600w hps...and thats what i've read is ideal for them. They seem to be doin well there and not gettin lanky. If your refering to the newest pictures where i moved 4 of them under the other 600w...then ya that was the 1st day of them being right under the 600w so i kinda wanted to ease them into it and not shock them with the light too close at 1st...i will move the light closer and closer everyday. I've found they are good at around 6 inches away from the tips.

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

#323391 - 11/30/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate