Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Slight concern...
    #303658 - 10/25/09 04:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I'm a little bit worried about the cup size that I chose to use in my hydro setup. Each cup is 200ml. Will this limited rooting space hinder the plants?

-EDIT-
Here's a picture of a cup.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/25/09 05:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Slight concern... [Re: TomCollins]
    #303670 - 10/25/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Eventually yes.  Can you elaborate?

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Slight concern... [Re: Azyle00]
    #303676 - 10/25/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck. What do you want me to elaborate?

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303680 - 10/25/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Is this the cup size you use in your grow that is in other threads?  Sorry got confused and thought perhaps it was a new project.

I am not a hydro expert but I am fairly sure your plants are gonna outgrow that glass as roots often are as long as the height of the plant and I have seen plans where guys have a 3 to 4 foot "hang" in their hydro projects for veg.  A lot of hydro plans are done using a rubbermaid container to allow more root hang.

I will try and find info about it to link you.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303688 - 10/25/09 05:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You may want to examine this DIY info project, it has a ton of hydro/aero info and plans, not sure if you have seen it or not:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/195142

IT does not directly answer your particular concern perse but his system certainly allows the roots to hang "for ease of transfer from veg to flower".

I just can't imagine a good size weed plant ever being able to be happy with its roots confined to a 200ml cup for the whole grow and many of the pics of roots from hydro setups are looonnngggg roots.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

#303691 - 10/25/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, it's not like the roots could not continue to grow out of the cups. In fact, they are...

This isn't a problem for me, lol, but is there anything I'm doing wrong? I guess that is what I was trying to ask.

Perhaps more holes? Larger holes?

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (10/25/09 05:53 PM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303692 - 10/25/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well some quick research seems that 16oz or 500ml cup is the common accepted size many use.  Yours are 6oz, 200ml I believe.  Is it a big deal to switch to 16oz cups?

I guess if it is, just grow and see what happens.  If they are too small it won't kill the plants as much as just lower your yield at harvest etc...but we don't want that either.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303693 - 10/25/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well if the roots are growing out of the cups and that is not going to end up causing any other issues, then they might be ok.  I cannot find any definite answer to make you panic other than most guides seem to use the standard 16oz net cups.

I guess the question is, could you at this point in the grow, change cups without harming the plants? 

Are the roots looking jammed up at all or like they are filling up the space and getting cramped up?

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

#303706 - 10/25/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Not totally sure. I'm not sure there would be an issue with cramping, the substrate is extremely airy. I am seeing a lot of rooting though. It looks a little cramp in some areas but certainly not all.

I really don't want to refit the system for larger cups, but perhaps I could whip up something more cylindrical than cone shaped cups. For example, a small 500ml plastic coca cola/pepsi/whatever flask or something similar.

I question the space needed to house the substrate however. If the roots can continue to grow and expand into the chamber, right on. I'm going to look into it a little more.

Worst case scenario, I rip the flood chamber out and install a new one with larger holes (no biggie, just a pain and time consuming) or when the plants get too big, put them into a hempy bucket. I thought that system was horse shit before I saw Harrys pictures. It wouldn't be a bad idea either considering I have mountains of verm and perlite lying around. Then again that would be a horrific can of worms, I'd need to buy another light, install another vent system... If time and money permit I'd do it.

In the mean time, I'll poke some more holes into the cups tho, so that the roots can climb out more easily  if need be. Also don't want those guys clogging the holes into the cup. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (10/25/09 06:28 PM)

OfflineTomCollins

#304873 - 10/27/09 07:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The slight concern is no longer a concern.

I just upgraded :-)

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #304879 - 10/27/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

is that perlite and verm?  if so it makes sense you call it substrate.  :lol:  For cannabis cultivation we'd just call that the grow medium.  you could have just gone outside and gotten some rocks and just made those holes in the cup bigger.  Azyle00 was right about the roots being confined to a tight space and eventually limiting growth.  as long as there is space for the roots to grow and air, dark, and nutrients it should do just fine.  It's easy to focus on foliage growth when the roots aren't seen, but root development is fundamental to having a high yielding plant of something you'd want to smoke.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Slight concern... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #304918 - 10/27/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, Perl and Verm - the magic duo!

Well, I do grow mushrooms as well and I have a boatload of both of this stuff. I heard the mixture's pretty decent for growing hydro, so I figured I'd use it. Makes me happy, when I can use that stuff for both projects. :-)

I was surprised when I transplanted though. The rooting was not that heavy in the 200ml cups. In any case, I'm still happy I transfered over to these larger guys, I think it will really help. Do the cups look decently large? They're 500ml.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#304930 - 10/27/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ya 500 ml is a better size really.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract