Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
HELP VETS!!
    #303671 - 10/25/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hey guys.  It's frustrating getting these questions like, "im going to grow cannabis, what do I need to do?"  I then looked up at the top of the cultivation section and to my surprise there's really nothing up there for the absolute beginner (and newb to either the site or online cannabis communities).  I started a thread in my journal for this.  I want to compile (here) a list of Growery links that you think will be beneificial for newbies who know nothing about cannabis other than the fact that they like to get high.  The next post will show what i have so far.  I'm also looking for anything at all that will add benefit to it.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #303672 - 10/25/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The purpose of this thread is to provide you with a starting place for your cultivation research here at the growery.  Of late, we have seen an influx of newcomers asking very generic questions regarding where to start their grow.  Here are some tips for the new cannabis horticulturists on how to get the best answers to your questions and some good links within the site That will help you get on your way to growing the best cannabis in the world, your cannabis. 

Tips on asking questions

ALWAYS use the search function prior to making a new post.  See if it has already been addressed in our database here.  After reviewing the related threads you can bump one if your content is truly relevant and adds something to the expired discussion.  if you think you have a valid point don't have any fear of reintroducing the discussion.  In fact this can actually be beneficial to us all.  I know when I work on a project and I get stumped and then put that particular issue aside for a week I come back to it with a fresh perspective.  The same applies here. 

Keep your new questions concise.  The longer text you have the less likely people will read it.  That's just the hard truth.  People are lazy. 

Include as many details as are relevant.  If you are asking about how far to keep the lights from your grow it would make sense to include the kind of lights you are using and a picture of your plant, it wouldn't make much sense to tell us how much you like bacon or how much you hope to yield.  We all love bacon and we all want as much bud possible. 

This is a work in progress.  I encourage everyone to comment and make changes/additions.  I'd like to get this done asap.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/303669/vc/1#303669

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #303677 - 10/25/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Strain List I like this thread because you can just use the find function and find the origins of the strain.  Not necessarily for newbs but good nonetheless. 

HID lights DON'T use a lot of power!

An Overview of Cannabis Training (ScrOG, SoG, FIM, Supercrop, LST, etc.)

Growing in an Apartment

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #303678 - 10/25/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Should make a point by point "basic" list that a new grower could read over, like a fact sheet about growing like simple listing of various options and so forth but not a guide as much as a "things you should learn about", maybe a defined list of some of the terms we use that are slang to the average noob.  Like Nutes.

Example:

1) Color Spectrum:  For Veg period, use 6500Kelvin lights.  For Flowering, use 2700Kelvin.

2) Avoid soil that has time release Nutes, like Miracle Grow.

3) The biggest mistake a new grower makes is OVERWATERING.

4) Perlite is really needed in your soil mixtures for proper drainage.

And so on.

Just my thoughts of how a list of facts could be compiled in one thread, but we can keep shooting replies to you of things we think of making compiling it easier.

You are right, seems like in the last week a lot of "Hi I bought some seeds, can you help me figure out what to do??" - wonder if growery is showing up in google search higher ranking on searches like "how to grow marijuana" or something.

On the other hand, researching and searching on this site has endless knowledge for anyone who bothers....except a lot do not bother.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineCannaboid
Gang Green Gang
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Azyle00]
    #303679 - 10/25/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd also suggest changing the name of the thread to something along the lines of, "New to growing? Look in here!" or something like that.

I just think a lot more people would look at that then "HELP VETS!!", not trying to criticize or anything, just saying.
:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Cannaboid]
    #303685 - 10/25/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks guys!  I agree with everything that's been said.  cannaboid, this isn't the thread that would be stickied.  this is just a compilation thread.  Same with the one in my journal - which has a name more suited for this endeavor.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineCannaboid
Gang Green Gang
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #303686 - 10/25/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ah ok. :super:

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Cannaboid]
    #303689 - 10/25/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here's the Getting Started page from the main site.  It's got some gooood info.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303697 - 10/25/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You know also, in the Doc's forum they have a "Before you post" sticky that outlines all the info a new poster with a problem with a plant should answer and include and so often when a noob posts, "help me grow, I am new", our reply is, Grow Space?  Soil or Hydro?  Budget?  Seed or Clone?  How many Plants? etc.  So maybe we have similar here:

1) How big is your grow space?

2) Are you using Seeds or Clones?

3) Are you planning to use Soil or Hydro?

4) What is your budget?

5) How many plants are you wanting to grow?

6) Is your grow area "open" or "closet"?

7) Can your grow area be vented?

8) What kind of harvest would you like to achieve in terms of grams of bud?

Etc, etc

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303698 - 10/25/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a great DIY Aero/Hydro and PDF plan downloads, might want to include.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/195142

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #303721 - 10/25/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Lets turn in to assholes like we do at the shroomery and tell everyone to use the search function first...And then to ask questions.

We haven't done that here because of the lack of threads but its getting up there now...I say we implement that rule asap.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: mhbound]
    #303731 - 10/25/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

that works well over there because it is such an established website.  this place is in its infancy and I don't want to scare people away by being assholes to everyone of them.  I'm hoping something like this would help prevent those types of threads/questions.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303747 - 10/25/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

We were all noobs once without choice, but can choose to be or not to be assholes.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

#303753 - 10/25/09 07:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,

I feel a little out of place posting here because I'm a newbie myself. But I think I have more than proven how serious I am about growing. Anyway, heres my input.

Growing shrooms in comparison to growing pot is like breathing. It's easy (for most people). I think thats why they can afford to be assholes, because the same simple and easy question are asked over and over.

I don't know about some of you, but I find pot growing to be an extremely complex, time consuming, pocket book draining, dangerous (regarding legality) and high intensity endeavor in comparison to growing most plants. Especially if you are new to it and don't have much to start with. When I started out, I thought "Shrooms aren't that hard.... growing basel and flowers aren't either... how hard can growing pot be?" I was sooo wrong.... I f**cking wake up in the morning and grab a cup of coffee then go and calibrate the ph of my nutrient solution... every morning - I mean it's not time consuming, but come on. Just listen to the way that sentence even sounds, haha.

If anything, the first thing that the newbie guide should say is that it is difficult enough to possibly not even be worth growing in the first place. Actually, no one would pay attention to that. A video should be made, dramatizing the pains and aches of pot growing to scare away those that are looking for a quick easy answer to lots of pot.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/25/09 07:47 PM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #303758 - 10/25/09 07:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Damn right Spency.  I think a lot of people get into thinking they will toss some seeds in soil and grow it until they can smoke it and water it and such and all will be fine.  How hard could it be???  It is a weed afterall...

Reality is different.

My first time I grew weed 20 years ago I went in my backyard, dug up some dirt and put into a pot and placed 4 seeds in and watered and set it in my window sill...in fall.  You can imagine how well that went along.  It grew...but what a joke it was.  Eventually my roommate chopped it and nuked the leaves because he ran out of smoke and thought that would get him high.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #303802 - 10/25/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone know a link to the Grow Bible online (Jorge Cervantes).  Tell new growers to buy that book or download it and then ask questions.  I swear I saw a link to the whole book floating around here someplace.  I would tell any new grower to buy this book.  You can't really walk someone through their first grow on growery and expect them to succeed, but if they do enough reading then they can just use growery to supplement.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: SmOakland]
    #303809 - 10/25/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes except the majority of the new growers will not download and read that book and will simply post the same post about wanting help etc.  You must remember, these are people who do not even read posts or use search at all before asking for help.  Linking them to a grow bible to download...just don't see that happening as if they even searched google for "mairjuana growing guide" would get them results.

"Tell new growers to BUY that book" - stops most dead in their tracks, they don't want to pay for information...

Really not sure why "helping" other people is frowned upon so much...is it spillover from Shroomery?

Walking someone through an entire grow process would be hard to do, just because of the length of time required, but answering questions, supplying information, making the site more friendly and helping noobs...what would be wrong with that?

I have read that "bible" as well.  Extremely useful but by no means is it the end all be all of growing pot...not by a long stretch.  Probably more useful information and examples already on this site given the multitude of setups, situations, styles, problems etc etc related to growing pot.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303815 - 10/25/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Another useful link to guides:

http://www.growmoreweed.com/

And for anyone wishing to actually pay for the information that is already free:

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/dhtml/home.php

And because I am not sure about the policy on this site about illegal torrents I will not link any, but lets just say, you can get all his DVDs for free as well as his guides via torrents.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Edited by Azyle00 (10/25/09 09:11 PM)

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #303843 - 10/25/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have to admit I kinda like the "I Grow Chronic" video... it's entertaining enough to actually watch most of, and really seems to cover some ground... He speaks in absolute laymans terms too...

Also, there's really some great stuff over at that ICmag site or whatever...
This Thread (micro perpetual SOG) Is pretty much the shit and maybe a little too inspiring, especially on the CFL front...

The Micro Grow Thread over there in general is nice to see for a newb, cause suddenly EVERYTHING is cheap and DIY, very approachable (If you're handy I guess)

I've run across a ton of great stuff around here too, I've just read too much of it to start looking for it all again... I'll start keeping tabs.
...I still plug in tons of random noob questions into the search engine too...

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #303875 - 10/25/09 11:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this is a good idea

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom