Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
What separates a good breeder from a magnificent breeder?
    #298706 - 10/16/09 06:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

not much else to say.  Interpret the question how you like.  I just thought this might make for an interesting public discussion.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: What separates a good breeder to a magnificent breeder? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #298762 - 10/16/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Consistency ? Honesty ? Innovation ?

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What separates a good breeder to a magnificent breeder? [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #298792 - 10/16/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

A good breeder, IMO, knows all the science of the genetics he/she is working with.  Can show you the punnet squares, the history, Mendel's theories, etc. He/she can select males based on visual traits that strong males display, etc.
A phenomenal breeder knows the strain he's working with down to each node.  He goes the extra mile to smoke the tips of the leaves of the males to see what effect they carry on the stone.  He can look at a plant of a particular strain and tell you exactly what it needs and why as though it were second nature.
Essentially the magnificent breeder knows the science AND the art, and has an intimate knowledge of ANY strain with which he is working as a breeding project.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What separates a good breeder to a magnificent breeder? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #298936 - 10/17/09 02:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What make for a good breeder. Well I could blow a bunch of smoke up your skirt or get right to it.

What it boils down to is this and this is the biggest problem with breeders out now.

ONE WHO IS WILLING TO DO THE WORK AND NOT BE JUST A POLLEN CHUCKER.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What separates a good breeder to a magnificent breeder? [Re: Magash]
    #298993 - 10/17/09 09:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:lol: I feel like that first statement was directed at me.

A pollen chucker is neither a good nor a "magnificent" breeder. The question was what differentiates those two.
Hence the explanation I gave.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #299155 - 10/17/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

by pollen chucker do you mean just putting a male and a female plant together just to produce the seeds and collecting pollen to produce seed with just any female?  With the absence of any selection or the knowledge that ren articulated above?  hmm, not sure that's worded the best but it's what i got now.

if that's what you mean then i wouldn't even consider that person a breeder, let alone a good one.  That seems like just simple seed production.  IDK maybe that can technically be classified as breeding. 

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #299158 - 10/17/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nah, not directed at you at all. The breeders know what has to be done to make a good strain and most start out with good intentions but along the way it is just easier and just as much profit slapping some pollen on another plant and pretending it's the best strain around.

In fact your post was right on the money. That is the exact work I'm talking about breeders or so-called breeders don't do. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order