Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoogles
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: moogles]
    #295809 - 10/12/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so he's definitely NOT selling gram bags..

Even if he consumes or gives away a lot of his bud, he's still making some cash.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #295810 - 10/12/09 09:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Magash isn't lying when he says you're not going to live your wildest dreams growing weed.

I guess if you want to go commercial say 500plants or something, you would be well on your way. However a licensed cali grower isn't going to be a millionaire any time soon.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinemoogles
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: captain.koons]
    #295812 - 10/12/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

True!

500 plants would be so beautiful to come across.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: Magash]
    #295813 - 10/12/09 09:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
As far as my growing goes there ya go dipshit over a gram a watt and there is 2000 watts there. Find me a grow with a better gram per watt ratio. 

Send me over some sweet tooth and I'll work on beating your yields.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #295881 - 10/12/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Well, regular bud at the dispensary here goes for 10 a gram. So, that's around $20,000 per harvest...

True but find me a dispensary that sells all the buds in grams. That is also the dispensary not the grower making the money,
The electricity is just one of the expenses and I'm not gonna be selling everything I have in grams and what grower does. That is why there is wholesale prices so yeah the numbers you have up are real on paper but don't happen in the real world.

And nobody is talking about the risk involved, you know the main reason most people don't even have one plant. Now if one person is willing to take the risk and another isn't the one taking the risk should be able to charge whatever the hell he wants profit threw the roof or not it's his ass on the line. The person not taking the risk should pretty much shut up. (that comment is in no way aimed at anybody)

and last if anybody would read the posts I didn't say there was no profit in it but I'm pretty sure nobody can argue it's not the same as crack or heroin which is what I said. Who is going to risk there ass if there is no profit involved and yes if your just growing for your own smoke you are profiting from it. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #298201 - 10/16/09 07:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Not to mention that the grower is quite different from the dealer/dispenser.  Non-large scale private growers typically do not sell it off in small grams etc, nor ask the gram street price.  Most growers who sell for some cash on top of personal, want to sell it to a few sources, in bulk...for the lowered risk.  It is risky enough in the USA to grow pot.  Add trafficking to it and your risk is simply insane.  If Magash grows 2000 grams a crop, you are sure he does not sell it off 1 gram at a time...2000 transactions!  Ya right...who has the time or would take the risk or knows that many gram buying teenagers (Last time I bought anything less than Oz was 20 years ago...when I was 18).  A private grower simply will not be able to run the operation required to "get rich".  This $400 investment in - $5000 back out profit...is completely false.

Some weed/price facts about my area (Toronto, Canada):

1) In 1989 price per gram was $12-$15, per quarter $65-$75, per ounce $200, sometimes a bit higher during dry seasons.  Hash was more popular and easier to find as Home Grown and Hydroponics were not in full swing so I believe a lot of weed was imported back then and hash is easier to smuggle than weed.  Hash was similar price to weed.

2) In 2009 price per gram was $12-$15, per quarter $65-$75, per ounce $200, sometimes a bit higher during dry seasons.  Hash is less popular and weed is everywhere...good weed, not like a lot of the early 90s shit we had.  Most weed now is grown in Canada via grow ops and BC crops.  Hash is about twice as expensive as weed.

The one thing that changed however was the value of the dollar in respect to inflation and buying power.  Minimum wage went from $6 to $10 per hour for example over 20 years.  Given what you can buy for $$$ now compared to 1989, weed is likely worth half what it was.

My point being, the economic principles and forces still apply to weed, it is not price controlled by growers etc, it is the nature of all things, price will fall as supply out paces demand and there comes a point always where if a price begins to get really low, then growers/business will no longer produce that product as the price being too low makes it not worth doing.

The majority of pot smokers are incapable, either because of location or experience/knowledge/apptitude, of growing even private stock worth smoking, so the idea of everyone growing their own supply...not realistic honestly.  Kinda like saying we should all grow our own food, raise livestock and stop letting big corps make "profit" by selling us food.

Weed is not overpriced.  Legalize it and let the big pharma of USA handle sales of it...you will still grow your own because paying $300 an ounce or more will make you sick, but that is what they will charge...more than its worth by miles.  Look at just about ANY drug sold legally in the USA compared to its real cost or the cost in any other first world country.  There are drugs in the USA you pay $200 for 25 pills, but in Canada, you pay $9 for the same prescription...because supply and demand are not part of the big pharma drug pricing in the US at all.  Hope this makes sense.  Mantra needs to be: please, please do NOT legalize pot, we can't handle the price increase!

I am a big proponent however of legalizing personal growing and smoking and even as much would LOVE to see it handled like wine making, where farms get to become like vineyards etc...but it would not play out like that.

A private grower with a good setup, working this "business" like a full time job/small business will be able to make a decent yearly wage similar to a lot of other small business ventures as well as enjoying the luxury of not spending money on personal weed.

Also, in Canada, selling off home grown weed (if it is good), you basically can get about $5 per gram when selling in Oz or more, in fact, $100 per Oz would be the going price for it without becoming a dealer/dispenser as you would not be selling to a huge variety of people because of safety factors.  So typically you are selling to resellers, who need to make their margin as well.

I feel that a decent operation, in the hands of an experienced expert and seeing crop of 2000 grams, likely after smoking personal, expenses and such, you are seeing no more than $4 per gram yield and so, $8000 "profit" per crop.  Again, that size of operation is risky and requires full time dedication like working a job.

I ramble because I am high.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: Azyle00]
    #298259 - 10/16/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Every time I look at this thread I'm like "well if you have so much send some to me". Then I realize you have nothing. Its sad :sad:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: Triptonic]
    #299066 - 10/17/09 12:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm so at most 20,000 per harvest...Idk how long it takes to turn over a harvest...but I'm sure it cant be more than 5 times a year? (Feel free to correct me magash)

So if it is 5 times a year...that 100,000 a year...and that's before subtracting costs of electricity and materials and equipment costs bla bla bla.

Sounds like a nice job that pays a living, a good living (props magash, you're my hero) But its no crack cocaine heroine druglord living the high life in my 20,000 sqft mansion in with all my Ferraris out back and bitches with big titties splashing around in my dollar sign shaped pool.

Bottom line, grow is fun and is awesome for personals, and if you have the place to do it and put as much effort as you would at a good paying job then you can make money at it. But you cant expect to become a drug lord by growing pot.

And that's why the growery exists, because its not all about making money, it's about the love of growing as a hobby and the mutual love of the herb itself.

peace and love brothers and sisters :gethigh:
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: Data]
    #299152 - 10/17/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Idk how long it takes to turn over a harvest...but I'm sure it cant be more than 5 times a year?

Actually I harvest every month. (more then one garden)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #299173 - 10/17/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hell yea  :whoo:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offline114425
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: high yield help!!! [Re: Data]
    #299223 - 10/17/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I get what dude means when he says he thinks prices at these medi shops can be a little ridiculous. At the same time realistically dude your not going to change the standard that people worldwide have accepted as the appropriate price to compensate the grower for time, effort, risk, expenses. I had the exact same idea when i first started growing, but by the time i reached harvest and looked back at my expenses it didnt make sense to let my hard work go for nothing. What you can do, like i did, is make these awesome hook ups available to your friends and close circle. my friend who beat up a child molester with me gets his quads for 75 where as a random chump gets it at 100. I personally believe that the overpricing can get ridiculous, i never go above $20-g,$50-1/8,$100-1/4,$300-oz,$1100-qp

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: 114425]
    #299315 - 10/17/09 04:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I thought the conventional wisdom was that the dispensaries sold at such inflated prices to prevent resale in the blackmarket.  That certainly makes a lot of sense.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline114425
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: high yield help!!! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #299530 - 10/18/09 01:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So real medical patients should have to pay more because they dont want fake patients to be dealers? I dont think that makes much sense. When people plan on growing with the intent of providing to medi shops they should accept a slight decrease in profit in return for the satisfaction that they helped medical patients. Im not saying medi shops should have crazy marked down prices, but again i think 50 is fair for an 8th. they are suppose to be non-profit organizations correct?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: 114425]
    #299564 - 10/18/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt they are set up as 501c(3) organizations.  But could be wrong.  I'm not trying to justify anything.  I think they should have the lowest prices possible, but look at our prescription markets.  It costs a pharm company hundreds of millions if not billions and years to develop a drug.  So they charge astronomical prices while their patent is valid.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #299565 - 10/18/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Dispensaries have to buy weed at black market prices or else growers will just sell on the black market. If you're a grower and a dispensary will give you 2000 a lb. for your product, but you can get 3500 on the street, where do you think that product is gonna get sold?
Then in order to continue to function, the dispensaries have to make some profit on their product, so they mark up what they buy.
In theory, the markup should just cover their operating costs, but obviously that's not always the case.
The solution of course is the legalization of marijuana so that there is no black market...this would control costs to the consumer.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinemoogles
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: 81renaissance]
    #299685 - 10/18/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Dispensaries have to buy weed at black market prices or else growers will just sell on the black market. If you're a grower and a dispensary will give you 2000 a lb. for your product, but you can get 3500 on the street, where do you think that product is gonna get sold?
Then in order to continue to function, the dispensaries have to make some profit on their product, so they mark up what they buy.
In theory, the markup should just cover their operating costs, but obviously that's not always the case.
The solution of course is the legalization of marijuana so that there is no black market...this would control costs to the consumer.

Pretty much.

Right now it's pretty standard 15 a gram for the goods.

Offlinepsilonaut2000
Stranger

#301055 - 10/20/09 09:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

by profit margin I mean the original producer! Not the total dollars earned of 50 people that it took to get heroin from Afgan to the us. Ask any soldier in Afgan if they seen any rich papaver somniferum ( opium ) farmers lately!!! The square foot to us $ ratio on poppies to pot are you kidding me? Find me a grower in the us selling weed for food cuz there family is starving and desperate? Every grower i ever met drives a nice car and has cash? hmmmmm I wonder. Why are you quoting this :It takes about $100 us dollars to make a kilo of coke. Even less for ready made opium is paid to the farmers that grow that. (ABC news)and then dissing this:The 5000 dollar a pound garbage you spew. keep reading news reports and quoting the high numbers they use. Sounds like you got your facts from ABC news?  Why dont you look up the national tolls on crack and heroin abuse compared to cannabis. So what your telling me is more people smoke crack and heroin nationally than pot!!!!!! WOW......Anyways no one can agree so who cares, there is money in both.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: high yield help!!! [Re: psilonaut2000]
    #301220 - 10/21/09 07:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Every grower i ever met drives a nice car and has cash?

How many growers have ya met? and a nice car and some cash isn't a rich person. Sounds like a shitload of people. I'm willing to bet there is a difference in the coke dealers nice car and the weed dealers :wink:

Quote:

So what your telling me is more people smoke crack and heroin nationally than pot!!!!!!

Nobody in this thread said that, have no idea where you got that. Weed is far more in demand but the money is spread out amongst (and this isn't a joke) millions of growers.

I'm saying if ya go out and buy a kilo of either at a wholesale price and sell it for a street price there is way more profit in it. Waaaaaaaaaay more.

Quote:

Find me a grower in the us selling weed for food cuz there family is starving and desperate?

How many you want? Most of the people here got started just for that reason.
Now I'm in Mendocino county and 67% of the people here are growers. That is 7 houses on every block. What nobody likes to say is the average grower (way more then 95%) is under 1000watts.

Put it this way. If all the growers had just 2000watts of power there would be so much bud it wouldn't be funny. There would be a pile on every street corner cause the average person won't use 2 to 4 lbs every 2 to 3 months. (By the way the average grower doesn't even get a lb per 1000watts I'm using exp grower numbers)

Now when ya start talking large scale sure there are large scale weed grows but how much can they sell for and still be large scale. Now your in the 3000 a lb range cause you have to dish out large numbers of lbs. Nobody is coming up and asking "Hey man can you sell me 20 lbs at 5000 a lb?"

Nobody is talking about the risk involved also. Now if a person is willing to take a risk that somebody else isn't they should be able to charge anything they want for doing so or the other person can just do without that product. Sounds fucked up but it is true.

and the last thing. In order to have a huge scale bud operation you have to involve lots of people now. Ever tried growing a few hundred large plants by yourself? (That isn't a smart ass comment I'm telling ya it's a pain in the ass for one person to pull off) Gonna have to be outdoor cause the average person won't have the few hundred thousand dollars to get all the equipment to do that.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #301422 - 10/21/09 06:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i have enough problem with 7 plants, let alone a few hundy.  who said that about growers driving nice cars?  Damn, now that I think about it and look back on it.  i have never met a cannabis grower (that I knew they grew and could talk to them about it.)  I need some grower friends.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinepsilonaut2000
Stranger

#301464 - 10/21/09 07:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

7 plants isnt quit a cannabis "farm" Im thinking

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order