Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Transformer overheating?
    #292771 - 10/06/09 02:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hi Everyone,

I'm spency, this is my first post here and I'm quite new to marijuana cultivation.

My friend swim asked me to post here on his behalf. Swim recently purchased a GIB Lighting PRO V - T 400Watt with an HPS bulb.

After he finished wiring up the transformer, swim decided to plug it in to give it a quick test run. Swim failed to realize he had wired it wrong. Swim slowly inserted the plug into a wall socket, and half way in the circuit breaker went off, and the lights in the house turned off and swim quickly pulled the plug out. So it was never plugged in all the way; however, it made it far enough to activate the breaker. Swim then noticed he wired the transformer wrong and was terrified he had destroyed it.

So Swim rewired it and tried plugging it in again and noticed that it still worked. A great relief for Swim.

However, recently swim has noticed the transformer becomes extremely hot very quickly. In fact, within 2-3 hours it is too hot to touch. However, the transformer is equipped with a thermal fuse and therefore in theory it is "impossible" for it to overheat. Swim questions this however, because of how hot it actually becomes.

So finally, Swim was wondering if anyone else here uses a similar or perhaps even the same exact setup and whether or not the extreme heat generated by the transformer is actually normal. Or is it possible the transformer actually suffered severe damage because of Swims careless mistake earlier, and as a result overheats?

Swim would also like to mention the light is extremely bright; even indirect exposure messes up your eyes, but it's suppose to be that bright no?

Pro-V-T 400 watt transformer: http://www.gib-lighting.de/pro-v-t.64.html
Growth Spectre HPS 400 watt: http://www.gib-lighting.de/growth-spectre.73.html

Thanks in advance,
Spency

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Transformer overheating? [Re: TomCollins]
    #292792 - 10/06/09 07:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah they get pretty hot.

lol.....Yeah there suppose to be that bright. Try a 1000watter if ya really want bright. :flyhigh:

and welcome to the site

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag