Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Make the call - Higher Education Act (HEA) anti-drug provision or "Aid Elimination Penalty" HR 3221
    #281312 - 09/16/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Congress Voting to Deny Student Loans to People Convicted of Drug Offenses

A month ago the House Education Committee rolled back a punitive federal law that denies student loans and other education assistance to students convicted of drug offenses (many of them minor marijuana possession convictions). Congressman Mark Souder (R-IN) is offering an amendment on the House floor today or tomorrow that would restore the ban. It will be a close vote. Please take a minute to call your member of Congress and tell him or her to vote against the Souder Amendment. Literally every phone call will make a difference. The number and a short script are below. Please also take another minute to forward this email (or an alert of your own) to people who will take action.

TAKE ACTION NOW

1) MAKE THE CALL: Dial the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Ask for your Representative's office if you know his/her name. If you don’t, simply give the operator your address.

2) SPEAK YOUR MIND: When the receptionist in your Representative’s office answers the phone, politely say: “My name is ________ and I’d like my representative to vote against Representative Souder's Amendment which would deny educational opportunities to students with minor drug possession convictions even after they’ve paid their debt to society. Blocking access to higher education only causes more drug problems and hurts the economy. He plans to offer his amendment to the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act sometime today or tomorrow.

3) SPREAD THE WORD: Forward this message to everyone you know! Post it as a note on Facebook!!

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Edited by geokills (09/18/09 05:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKine

Re: Make the call [Re: mhbound]
    #281333 - 09/16/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, so this shit aint even a law yet?  Fucking D.A. Tried telling me my loan was gonna get janked for possesion of paraphinilla.  What pricks...

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Make the call [Re: Kine]
    #281335 - 09/16/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think it is kind of but nobody enforces that shit unless they are total d-bags. Its total bullshit and the guy trying to present it to the HOUSE AGAIN should be fucking hung for everyone to throw rocks at...What an asshole.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Make the call [Re: mhbound]
    #282490 - 09/18/09 01:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

don't these late amendments have to pass through the committee before being introduced and voted on by the entire house?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Make the call [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #282576 - 09/18/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not 100% certain about all the political technicals of last minute legislation...
    suffice it to say that there's plenty of shadyness that transpires within our political structure!  :wink:

The good news is that the bill being discussed here has progressed favorably, although it is still not law.

According to this release by DRCnet, "the infamous Higher Education Act (HEA) anti-drug provision, or "Aid Elimination Penalty," which bars students committing drug offenses from receiving financial aid for specified periods of time, took a step toward further dilution this week when the US House of Representatives Thursday approved H.R. 3221, the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA). In the passed bill is language that restricts the penalty to those convicted of drug sales, not mere drug possession.

"The bill will next go to a conference committee, whose job will be to produce a reconciled version of H.R. 3221 and a yet-to-be-passed Senate bill. The final version must then be reapproved by both the House and the Senate. If that final version contains the same or very similar language, it will mark the second significant reduction of the penalty, the decade-old handiwork of arch-drug warrior Rep. Mark Souder (R-IN). In 2006, the provision was scaled back to include only drug convictions that occurred while students were enrolled in college and receiving financial aid (a change supported by Souder himself)."

And from the Daily Orange, "Under the current law, passed by Congress in 1998, students convicted of either sale, or possession, of drugs are ineligible to receive federal aid until they complete a rehabilitation program and pass two surprise drug tests. The new bill, which is expected to pass in the House, would allow financial aid for students with a possession conviction, but still deny those who sold drugs."

Looks like a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

PS. I'm changing the thread title for this topic so that it is more descriptive

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineKine

Re: Make the call [Re: geokills]
    #282650 - 09/18/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

its kinda funny the bills called a "higher education" yet its no bueno to smoke the green green stuff according to it... ha.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Make the call [Re: geokills]
    #282651 - 09/18/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Make the call - Higher Education Act (HEA) anti-drug provision or "Aid Elimination Penalty" HR 3221 (moved) [Re: mhbound]
    #428179 - 06/03/10 08:41 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Growery News Service.

Reason:
Populating new Medical Marijuana & Activism forum.

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder