Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

Loc: Michigan
Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=)
    #248722 - 07/12/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

When transplanting your cutting, seedling after it has rooted well to the pod it is paced in, try adding a cut up banana to the soil mixture then place your plant on top and cover with dirt. I find that this method coupled with the use of a little blood meal on the top of the soil, and then proceed to water works wonderfully.

Take 1-2 bananas depending on the size and leave peel on.
Slice as if you are going to put in cereal. Leave peel on.
This way you have circles with the peel around, place in a sandwich baggie and mush with your hands.
Place mush evenly where the plant will be sitting.
Place fill dirt to cover plant.
Sprinkle a little blood meal on surface and water.
Add blood meal every two weeks.

This will create a lush green plant that twinkles in your eyes.

--------------------
It seldom turns out the way
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right

~ Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimpgl

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: WinterRose]
    #249025 - 07/13/09 11:35 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i have my doubts as whether this would be beneficial in an indoor setting

--------------------

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: impgl]
    #249614 - 07/15/09 06:39 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have found that this works indoors as well with a few different plants. Tomatoes love this method too.

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: WinterRose]
    #249628 - 07/15/09 08:33 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm always hesitant to actually add uncomposted food products into soil indoors. I've heard of people adding a slab of tuna or salmon instead of fertilizing, but during the composting and decomposition process your grow room literally starts to smell like a landfill.

--------------------

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #249733 - 07/15/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I'm always hesitant to actually add uncomposted food products into soil indoors. I've heard of people adding a slab of tuna or salmon instead of fertilizing, but during the composting and decomposition process your grow room literally starts to smell like a landfill.

See that is the beauty, you only use one per plant, and believe it or not, the banana in the soil, under the plant doesn't smell like crap. I would never use fish outside or inside, outside all the creatures around my house would come looking for a snack=)If you are worried about the smell, only use the peel=) The actual fruit would have that stinky odor.

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #250190 - 07/16/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

most edible mushrooms have a higher potassium content per unit mass than bananas...and decompose much more readily...just a thought  :shrug:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offlineimpgl

#250560 - 07/17/09 03:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

WinterRose said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

See that is the beauty, you only use one per plant, and believe it or not, the banana in the soil, under the plant doesn't smell like crap. I would never use fish outside or inside, outside all the creatures around my house would come looking for a snack=)If you are worried about the smell, only use the peel=) The actual fruit would have that stinky odor.

a fast growing plant like marijuana (3 months with 1 month veg and 2 months flower, just an average) wouldnt be able to take advantage of a fresh fish or banana planted at the bottom of 3 gallon pot.

--------------------

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

#250576 - 07/17/09 07:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

impgl said:
Quote:

WinterRose said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

a fast growing plant like marijuana (3 months with 1 month veg and 2 months flower, just an average) wouldn't be able to take advantage of a fresh fish or banana planted at the bottom of 3 gallon pot.

I never stick my plants at the very bottom of the bag. I fill 1/3 with dirt, then the banana, then the plant, and then the fill dirt. I also let my plant veg until it is a magnificent bush. I give them 2-3 months to veg. U do not have to approve of my method, it's mine, and I have tested it for seven generations. It works for me, for different varieties.  :chillpill:

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#250582 - 07/17/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thats cool that it works so well...I might have to try a side by side comparison of some clones on my next grow...and thats awesome bc I hate bananas anyway so its a good way to get back at them for being disgusting  :dumblol:

peace
agmotes165

--------------------

Offlineimpgl

#251137 - 07/18/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i wasnt talking shit, im just trying to wrap my noodle around the fork of the situation

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #251409 - 07/19/09 02:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I have trouble with the science behind this...I'd like to see a side by side for proof. 
I don't want to seem like a naysayer here, but there is a reason most organic material is composted prior to use, and I just would hate to see this kind of misinformation be accepted without proof.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: 81renaissance]
    #251777 - 07/20/09 07:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Look at my pics:)
It is not a miracle, just an a little boast =)\
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just like to share what I know, and learn extra tid bits for myself.

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #251779 - 07/20/09 07:31 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think what they're saying in this case is that it's not actually a matter of opinion, but that banana peels actually won't have time to break down in the soil. Your plants look wonderful, but the bananas might have nothing to do with it

--------------------

Offlineshakalaka
Stranger

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #253273 - 07/23/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

agreed. The plant can only take in nutrients once it has fully broken down...it may release a slight amount of nutrient as it breaks down after a while..but i believe there are much more efficient and cost effective ways of providing extra potassium to the plants. Also...how do u know for a fact that it works?
like harry said....ur plants look awesome...u are doin a lot of things right!...but this may not be THE reason ur plants are doin so well. If my understanding of the science behind why i think it wont work well is flawed...then there still is the fact that its not a very efficient or cost effective way to provide pottasium to the plants(unless ur using just the peels). Why not try a side by side comparison? keep all the factors the same....im remaining open minded...u could be onto something!

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: shakalaka]
    #253299 - 07/23/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well...idk about with sterile soil...but i know that solid banana meat (not the peel) in the presence of yeasts and bacteria will fully decompose to a brown liquid in less than 5 days...so i would imagine that mashed banana meat would decompose much faster...so i could see where this would potentially work...since it sounds to me that the availability of decomposed banana meat would start to become noticeable around 1-2 days after transplanting...and would increase to a maximum in 5-7 days...thus making this tek possible...

i may try this on my next grow in a few months with 2 clones of the same mother...rooted under the same conditions...and transplanted to the same soil...and do a side-to-side comparison. I believe there may be potential in this.

Peace
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

Re: Using bananas and their peels for an extra boast of potassium=) [Re: Data]
    #254057 - 07/24/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I just try to stick with neutral natural alternatives. Most fruits break down at a rather fast pace.

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #261543 - 08/08/09 01:49 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a good way to get root rot or other root issues with composted foods. :shrug:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineWinterRose
I wanna talk to Sampson!

#261562 - 08/08/09 07:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KeefTokesAlot said:
I'll try it on 1 of my plants and see how it goes, should I wait for it to decompose a little bit when it mushed up in the bag or just spread it fresh?

I just cut it up, squish it in a sandwich baggie, and squish it up with the dirt. That way you force it to break down. =)

--------------------
it does in the song
Once in a while
you get shown the light
if you look at it right

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom