Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

My grows this year
    #248808 - 07/12/09 07:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've got 23 feet in length of counter space in my kitchen. More than we need. I finally recently got around to something that I've wanted to do with a corner of it.

I turned the back of the corner into a garden of sorts. Mostly a herb garden with two cayenne pepper plants and two habanero pepper plants. I already had the fixtures and aquarium/plant tubes from a former project. I also already had one of the two little fountains, light timer, humidity gauge, thermometer, and more.

Most of it I don't really need but I figured I'd use since I had it already and was not being put to use anywhere else at the moment. Pretty much the only things I had to buy were the pots which only cost $1.00 each. I also bought a few plants already started from a garden center rather than starting everything from seed. I wanted some greenery to look at immediately upon completion of the little project. Oh yeah... two door mirrors as well that I paid $6.00 each I think. So I ended up only having to pull out less than $50.00 to do this.

All in all it makes up a nice little kitchen garden. The cats love it too. They keep drinking the little fountains nearly dry and occasionally snacking a little on a leaf or two here and there. Not too bad fortunately. I had wondered if that was going to be a problem. It doesn't appear so

The little hanging basket in the corner is full of the tall style shot glasses filled with water and plant cuttings that I'm rooting for use elsewhere.

It's not thick and luscious yet. Actually, not everything is even planted yet. Also I think I may need to double my lighting. Seedlings get very leggy and overall growth of everything is running a bit slow. I can easily add in two more of the double tube fixtures like the ones I have now without even having to move the ones already in place.

My little wildflower garden has gotten a bit out of hand. Looks like it's been overtaken by weeds but those are all wild flowers of many different types. Half are to attract song birds and half are to attract humming birds.

The garden is set in two 10" and one 5" high round brick tiers. It's about 7 feet in diameter. My two boys and I threw it together in about an hour or two, including the planting one afternoon a couple of months ago. The hardest part was hauling the worm casting loaded dirt from my worm beds in the woods behind the house. I've accumulated a lot over the years and use it for all of my planting and some of our fishing needs. :grin:

I practically live in the woods with a heavily shaded yard and until this year had no nice and sunny spot for a garden. I've never planted a garden of my own before. This is my very first one. I helped my grandpa out with his as a small child and have done a fair amount of container planting but never an actual vegetable garden of my own.

Earlier this year I had some trees removed that in the past have always leaned over the house threateningly during ice storms. The guys that removed them left the stumps high and ragged which I have not dealt with yet but instead went ahead and planted among them.

I got a very late start from where I was sick and ended up hospitalized this spring. I ended up losing almost every seedling that I had started because they didn't get watered while I was in the hospital for 5 days. I also didn't feel up to taking on the prepping and planting for the first couple of weeks when I got out. So my garden didn't get started until late may and early June. Some plants added even later come to think of it. Like a couple of weeks ago. Still I think it's turning out well for my first ever garden.

In addition to the stumps I've still got a fair amount of brush to deal with that I'm saving for the fall. I'll cut up the larger pieces for fire wood to burn in my fire pits and fire place. I only cleaned up and used a little under half of the area that I had cleared. Next year this garden will be much neater and over twice as large.

There are probably hundreds of natural grape vines popping up all over the area so I will also be building a few trellis for them. The muscadine grapes here make a delicious sweet wine as well as good preserves. I've got more experience making wine and brewing beer than I do gardening. I'll probably also add in some hops to grow for the beer. It will be nice to have my own fresh hops grown from the ground that is home for me.

View from top of house. For size reference the sprinkler post in the center is 6' tall.

A squash that I'm leaving to see how big it will grow. I think it's about there. I over did the squash planting. I've harvested over 60 already and still have some growing plants that have not yet started to produce. Some were planted from seed and others bought from a small local store.

It's a good thing I have a pressure canner and two freezers. Three if I need to pull out and hook up the third one. I've been giving a fair amount of squash and peppers away as well.

Squash leaf

In addition to some I have planted in the ground I also decided to give hanging tomatoes a try. Rather than tying them up on stakes or cages, let them naturally hang and take care of themselves. Bonus - no weeds or ground pests and better drainage. They have so far outdone the ones in the ground. The soil is different too though. They are growing in the worm casting soil I mentioned earlier.

Caged tomatoes.

The better half of my pepper plants. I have bell, cayenne, hot banana, and habanero plants. Most all except the habaneros and bells have started producing a nice amount of peppers. The first fully ripe red ones this week. Most of the habaneros have started as well but are still small so far.

Cayenne's

Hot banana peppers

Jalapenos

The largest of the water melons.

Cantaloupes

Water melon vines fore and pumpkin back.

Perky pumpkin vines.

Largest pumpkin.

Oregano

Corn. Picture doesn't show it well but it is 3 rows deep.

Corn

Whats left of the radishes. The kids have been eating em up. I also have a pile of them with the tops in the fridge. Both the greenery tops and the radishes themselves sliced are good in salads.

Radish

Record keeping assistant.

Egg plant.

Interesting point. I have used no pesticide at all and this plant is a good example of among the worse pest damage I've had among all of my plants. Not bad at all. I don't know why this year has been so easy but normally pest are a lot more problematic here.

Iceberg lettuce.

Curled leaf lettuce

Jimson weed

I also have spinach and carrots and okra but no pics.

Example of the wild grape vines that grow all over the place here. This is at one edge of my back yard and forms a virtual wall of leaves now and later will have grapes as well.

I also have lots of blackberry and honeysuckle. The honeysuckle is not currently in bloom but is the light colored shinier leaved vine growing through the blackberries. This is also on the same edge of my back yard as the grapevines pictured above. I could probably pick nearly a bushel of blackberries in that one area right now.

Damn this post took longer to put together than I thought it would.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: My grows this year [Re: TripityDooDaDay]
    #248812 - 07/12/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Looks great dude.:thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Re: My grows this year [Re: Stoneth]
    #248825 - 07/12/09 07:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's a hell of a garden. But how do you have all of that, but have no Weed growing in the mix. Or did you leave those pics out. Obviously you are a passionate gardener.

Edited by Integra21 (07/13/09 12:39 AM)

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
    #248883 - 07/12/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

hell even for a first timer things look awesome already  :awesome::thumbup:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Integra21]
    #249119 - 07/13/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

There is no way I could grow weed in with any of that. Not with the way they hoover over in helicopters several times a season scrutinizing every inch of developed ground. I've been shocked in the past at some well disguised grows of friends of mine that were spotted. Those fuckers have some eyes on them for sure. Some of the surrounding areas are a good option so long as one doesn't get spotted carrying water to them etc... Miles and miles of nothing. I'm foolish for not having a few grows going right now. A few dozen :grin: Especially in this tight economy. I suppose there is still time to squeeze in some last minute plantings. Is there? Any experienced with this zone outdoor growers know the answer to that? What sort of yield per plant could be expected in the time that is left if any?

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #249153 - 07/13/09 05:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

GO FOR IT MAN

DOOOO ITTT

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#249306 - 07/14/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Pulled this morning. WTF am I going to do with all these fucking radishes? More than the kids will eat or I can likely give away quickly. Any good tips on storage? Clean, remove tops and freeze? Can?. Pickle? I still have about that many more in the field to pull in a couple of days or so and add with them.

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
    #249317 - 07/14/09 12:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TripityDooDaDay said:
Pulled this morning. WTF am I going to do with all these fucking radishes? More than the kids will eat or I can likely give away quickly. Any good tips on storage? Clean, remove tops and freeze? Can?. Pickle? I still have about that many more in the field to pull in a couple of days or so and add with them.

lol the fact you're contemplating pickling radishes because you have too many is really fucking jewish.

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

Edited by Doitagain (07/14/09 12:16 PM)

Invisiblematt
 User Gallery

#249329 - 07/14/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's a nice garden. :thumbup:

You didn't do any beans, cucumbers, or rhubarb?

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: matt]
    #249331 - 07/14/09 01:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks man. Non of us like rhubarb. Beans are too much trouble when it comes shelling time imo. Some snaps would have been nice maybe and I've been kicking my self in the ass for forgetting the cucumber already. They are something we would use a lot of. Oh well. This was my first and there is next year to look forward to.

Without looking back I don't remember mentioning and I know I didn't have any pics but I do have potatoes as well.

Invisiblematt
 User Gallery

#249333 - 07/14/09 01:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Potatoes ftw. Yeah cucumbers are essential for any garden. You'll have to get on top of that next year. And there's nothing like string beans fresh out of the garden. My grandfather used to grow them and they were delicious.

I'm not a huge fan of iceberg lettuce but I'll tell you what. I picked up a head from a local farmers stand last summer and it was so fucking good. It tasted nothing like that bullshit you get in the stores. It made a really good salad mixed with romaine and all the usual fixings.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#249334 - 07/14/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah some romaine would be nice. Don't recall seeing any such seeds where I shopped. Iceberg is the basis for most of our salads. I'm pretty much the only one who likes a lot of other greens as well or in place of. I was very late on the lettuce and wondering if too late but it has doubled in size already since that pic was taken days ago.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #249347 - 07/14/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

matt said:

You didn't do any beans, cucumbers, or rhubarb?

man strawberry rhubarb cobbler is the fucking bee's knees

and jewitagain - did i just hear you call someone jewish?

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: still beLIEve]
    #249360 - 07/14/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:

and jewitagain - did i just hear you call someone jewish?

It was "gay" instead of "jewish" before the edit for some unknown reason. :shrug:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #249374 - 07/14/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nice garden there Tripity

I agree with matt, potatoes are a must for next season

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Picklez]
    #249410 - 07/14/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You must have read something wrong. I have potatoes this year.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #249411 - 07/14/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Must have, cause I didnt see any potatoes either

Well it looks good. I wish I had the space for something like that.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Picklez]
    #249421 - 07/14/09 08:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Without looking back I don't remember mentioning and I know I didn't have any pics but I do have potatoes as well.

Thanks man. I've been enjoying it. Space is a must for me. I need miles of it to contain me. :lol:

InvisibleStormRider
Rider on the storm.
Male

Loc: Eastern US.
    #249526 - 07/15/09 12:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nice greens man. You should devote some of that effort to some dank bud somwhere. Just do it.

Invisiblematt
 User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: StormRider]
    #249638 - 07/15/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:facepalm:

InvisibleStormRider
Rider on the storm.
Male

Loc: Eastern US.
    #249764 - 07/15/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:confused:

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: My grows this year [Re: StormRider]
    #249818 - 07/15/09 10:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:happyweed:

--------------------

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#250977 - 07/18/09 01:20 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Some updated pics 10 days later.

Tomatoes

Cayenne.

Banana

Jalepeno

Corn is looking good.

Curled leaf lettuce is about twice as big.

So is the iceberg.

Potatoes that I forgot to get a pic of before.

A mystery weed that popped up among the squash. I have no idea what it could be byt it looks pretty neat. Anyone know what this is?

The wild flower garden is going crazy.

Everything seems to be looking good in spite of the late start and very dry weather. Have been eating what we can. Gave a lot away and have put a good bit up in the freezer already. Most importantly I've been enjoying watching it grow. It's nice early some mornings or late some evenings to just wander around inspecting the the plants and pulling a bag full of goods to bring up to the house. This morning when I went out a huge swarm of bees was working hard at pollenating for me. The whole garden was buzzing loudly.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#251015 - 07/18/09 09:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Today's harvest. Yes I know the tomatoes are still green. We don't care for red tomatoes in most cases but we love fried green tomatoes.

InvisibleGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

#251063 - 07/18/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

nice

--------------------
Let the faggots have it all.  Keep the shit.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: GetTheFuckOut]
    #251069 - 07/18/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

nice garden, but i was looking to see some other plants a little more tailored to the subject matter of the board. Or even more tailored to the SMOKE Lounge. lol

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: My grows this year [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #251074 - 07/18/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #251412 - 07/19/09 02:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
nice garden, but i was looking to see some other plants a little more tailored to the subject matter of the board. Or even more tailored to the SMOKE Lounge. lol

Don't be so narrowly focused. It's fun but not very healthy. Growing anything is rewarding in a way. :grin:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Coaster]
    #251414 - 07/19/09 02:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pic Coaster. Especially being that you so rarely post pics. Just yanking yer chain dude. I like your pics usually. :lol: :gethigh:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#254499 - 07/25/09 02:54 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Jimson weed taken earlier this week. It has grown twice the size since and has many more flowers all of which will become walnut sized capsules that are covered with thick but sharp spikes. Really cool plant imo. Most plants are though. :grin:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#254509 - 07/25/09 03:08 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The beginnings of my newest Salvia Divinorum roots.

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#254558 - 07/25/09 05:37 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have not been doing anything with my indoor kitchen counter garden lately. It's doing OK but could use a little work. Here is one of it's ripe but very small habanero peppers. I guess it qualifies as miniature. So does the other one on the other plant. I can't wait to taste one. The only reason I haven't yet is I hate to take the brightest colors out of my little setup. That will only leave brown, white, green, and a little yellow for color. I've got plenty for eating on my outside plants. Something about these little indoor miniature, bright colored, shiny, pungent smelling peppers though makes me really want to eat one. I'm going to give in soon.

Damn I'm high. :grin:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #264467 - 08/13/09 09:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

What is this? I've been wondering for a while now! Is it the same as one of these?  :highasfuck: I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks. Really want to know the name...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Edited by Inverted (08/13/09 09:59 AM)

Invisibleltd
 User Gallery

#264477 - 08/13/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I thought I had replied to this thread before but apparently not.

Everything looks fantastic, Tripity.

A lot of hard work there and it most definitely paid off.

Great stuff.

:cool:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: My grows this year [Re: Inverted]
    #292220 - 10/05/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry. Somehow I had missed replying to this and just stumbled upon it. May be a bit late now. Maybe not.

Yes, the plant is Jimson weed.

My gardens in all ended up producing a hell of a lot. Best that I've ever done. It's a shame that I got distracted by other things and failed to continue with the picture taking.

We have certainly enjoyed eating from the vegetable garden this year. :grin:

Kinda funny now looking back at this thread now knowing what was to come of it all. Especially while mildly tripping on some lucy with the way it magnifies thoughts and feelings etc...

Anyway... I will have a ton of seeds of the two Jimson Weed plants in a month or so if anyone is interested. I need to give them the time first though because if I'm not mistaken they have to go through a cold period before they become viable. If not then I am and have been wasting my time. lol I won't know unless I look it all up again.

What I have done in the past is put them into the refrigerator for a couple of months. When taken out the seeds have pretty much been 100% viable and sprouted easily when planted.

If you are interested in getting some of these seeds just Drop me a PM. I can send some out now if you wish to cold condition them yourself. I have at least 50 pods full.

The pods look like these.

I won't be sending out whole pods for free but a dozen or so seeds shouldn't be a problem for the asking.

Please do your research and well understand all there is to know about these plants before messing with them.

I have never consumed any portion of them in any way and doubt that I ever will though I do understand extractions can be made and used predictably.

You accept all responsibility along with the seeds if you choose to take some from me.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies