Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Small Buds
    #244196 - 06/29/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Whats up everyone. I was hoping you all could help me out with a problem I've run in to. My plant has seemed to have stayed the same size since a few weeks after flowering. I know that it wont get taller, but I know the buds should be filling out more than they have. Now the pistils are beginning to turn orange which I know means it's starting to decrease in potency. What did I do to make my plant like this? Is there maybe something I can do to thicken them up a little before I am forced to pick it? I would like the buds to be as potent as possible of course  :gethigh:.. Thanks for your help  :rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
Re: Small Buds [Re: FrakersFarm]
    #244200 - 06/29/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Usually it is due to the lights, or nutrients. What kind of set up are you using, and how long have they been in flower? If they're changing to amber by +75% than cut 'em.:ganja:

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Small Buds [Re: jwes420]
    #244221 - 06/29/09 04:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say they're about 4 weeks into flowering.. I failed to write that down lol.. I use 4 compact fluorescents of 32 watts. I have a feeling it's the lighting. :confused: What do you think?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #244231 - 06/29/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Lights or the root system.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Small Buds [Re: mhbound]
    #244235 - 06/29/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So there's probably nothing I can do to help it now huh?

Offlinethebigbud
Stranger
    #244287 - 06/29/09 06:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

how far away from the plants were the CFL's? CFL's cannot maintain a healthy plant larger than 20 inches in height.

This is what one of my Books say.

A large plant grown under CFL's may have many small fluffy buds, most weighing less that .5 gram. A smaller plant can produce buds that weigh 1-15 grams.  A smaller plant, 20 inches or less, can utilize the limited lumens of a CFL better than a large plant because the light is shining over a smaller area.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Small Buds [Re: thebigbud]
    #244299 - 06/29/09 06:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hm....What are you plants in? What size pots? And how were they started...What I mean is did you start them in a small cup and then transplant to a larger pot etc etc? If you did list some details.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

#244304 - 06/29/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I have this one in a 5 gallon bucket, and the others in 4 gallon pots. Yes I started the plant in a small pot, larger than a cup though. I transplanted it once after that, and then once again when flowering began. The plant was rootbound, so I thought that needed to be done. This was when I planted it in the 5 gallon bucket. New potting soil and everything of course. From there the buds starting doing well and the plant seemed perfect. I think it may also have a nutrient disorder, the leaves have small brown spots on them. But it's only a few leaves and hasn't worried me much because it just began showing.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #244316 - 06/29/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FrakersFarm said:
I transplanted it once after that, and then once again when flowering began.

there's the problem right there, you transplanted it while flowering. Which i am sure shocked the hell out of her, being root bound!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Edited by SpaceMonkey (06/29/09 07:29 PM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Small Buds [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #244384 - 06/29/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

My guess is you may have damaged some roots(not to mention the plants being root bound but at that stage I don't think it was a huge problem) and then immediately putting them to flower.

But the main thing I have a feeling is transplanting in the middle of flowering caused it. I've never done it so I don't know exactly what the symptoms are but I would imagine the same as interrupting the flowers light cycle...Small buds.

Once you initiate flowering you don't want to touch them again. Do anything you need to do before you start flowering and once you make your final adjustments whether it be nutrients, transplanting, or whatever it is I always give the plants at least 1 week to adjust. I normally give them 2-3 weeks on a final transplant for the root system to adjust.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244489 - 06/29/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:

Once you initiate flowering you don't want to touch them again. Do anything you need to do before you start flowering and once you make your final adjustments whether it be nutrients, transplanting, or whatever it is I always give the plants at least 1 week to adjust. I normally give them 2-3 weeks on a final transplant for the root system to adjust.

--------------------

OfflineSativaSam
Male

#244540 - 06/30/09 07:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

not only that, cfl's will never pack on the weight like hps's do, also did u drop nitrogen, during flowering andimcrease the p and k amounts? and yes transplant into ur flowering mixture of soil before u start flowering! sing cfl, cause the nodes to stretch out, and each node is a bud site, cause what bud does appear to be stretched out along the lenghty plant...

--------------------
In every seed, there is a bag of weed!:wink:

P.S. if you don't own a copy of Marijuana Horticulture, the indoor/outdoor medical growers bible, you need to get a copy!

Edited by SativaSam (06/30/09 07:59 AM)

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Small Buds [Re: SativaSam]
    #244605 - 06/30/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks again everyone for all of your replies.. I'm pretty sure all of what has been mentioned has played roll in it. I did drop the nitrogen and fertilized it once with some bloom booster, haven't done it since though. So I need to grow a smaller plant, and transplant before flowering.. How should I have gone about the root-bound plant in my situation? Is there a better option than the one I chose(planting while flowering), when dealing with root-bound plants?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244610 - 06/30/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

deal with it before its rootbound.
Always do whats gotta be done before the flowering starts
no need for a smaller plant, just bigger pots.
5 gallon buckets work great for pots and have plenty of room.

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#244632 - 06/30/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The pistils turning orange/brown is a sign of the bud maturing. Although 4 weeks sounds pretty quick for this to be the case. Which would surprise me if you're using lower power/lumen cfl's as opposed to HPS or similar. Lower light usually means slower growth and maturing.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Edited by Buddy (06/30/09 02:13 PM)

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Small Buds [Re: Buddy]
    #244640 - 06/30/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Lol ok.. So just don't let it get rootbound.. Sounds easy enough.. And it is not necessary to grow plants around 20 inches like bigbud said, because of my lighting? I could be off on the amount of weeks in flowering guys, like I said I failed to write it down.  It could possibly be five? Do the pistils begin to change color at week 5? or 6? or even after that? Also, if I were to grow a plant in a smaller space, and keep the plant small, would this be more efficient with my lighting?

Edited by FrakersFarm (06/30/09 02:31 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
When to Harvest + Pistils vs. Trichomes [Re: FrakersFarm]
    #244653 - 06/30/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FrakersFarm said:

Now the pistils are beginning to turn orange which I know means it's starting to decrease in potency.

People seem to have you pretty well covered here, but I wanted to just chime in real quick to set something straight that may have been a little confusing (or maybe not, in which case, please forgive my bantering! :tongue:).

The pistils on a marijuana plant can often "ripen" brown or red or orange well before the bud has reached its optimal maturity.  Pistil color and shape is highly variable based on both the strain and environmental conditions for your plant, and cannot be relied on as a method to determine when to harvest, especially as a plant can often pump out a new round of fresh pistils mid-way through the flowering process.

What should be relied on as an indicator of maturity, are the trichomes (or resin glands).  They are much smaller than the pistils and reflect light to make your bud appear shiny or dank.  Sometimes referred to as crystals.  These small resinous glands will begin their journey for the most part clear, and as the flowers mature, the resin glands will begin to cloud over and ultimately turn amber in color.

You may need a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to adequately access the condition of your resin glands, as they are quite small.  Generally speaking, a good time to harvest is anytime between the point that a good portion of your resin glands have started to cloud over or are beginning to turn amber.  The rule of thumb is that the earlier your harvest (before the amber stage sets in), the more psychedelic-cerebral THC you'll have in your end product; versus waiting for more amber glands, which results in more of the THC being converted into various more sedative cannabinoid compounds.

Here's a graphic example that I pulled from Google Images:

Lastly, I noticed that you mentioned you had only fed your plants once during flowering.  Plants should be fed throughout flowering, though you may wish to stop the feeding about two weeks prior to harvest, so that the plant can have time to metabolize the last batch of nutrients which will allow the end product to have a better taste.  If you are only three weeks into flowering, don't stress.  Give your babies another dose of nutes (of the NPK variety, make sure there is more P than N or K - flowering makes plants hungry for phosphorous), and add some more light if you can!

Then all you have to do is be patient and see what you get. :ganja:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Small Buds [Re: geokills]
    #244657 - 06/30/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nice. Suppose if you're getting high yields you could trim off a few branches earlier and a few later to have a mix so you could pick what kind of high you feel like, then mix if you want both. Thanks Geokills, that's a truely helpful chart.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

OfflineFrakersFarm
Stranger

Re: Small Buds [Re: Buddy]
    #244707 - 06/30/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Righteous.. Thanks for that chart bro, Now I need to go get a magnifying glass. Everyone's responses have been greatly fucking appreciated!  :bow2:

Should I be able to get a good view with this jewelers loupe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/30x-Jewelers-FOLDING-EYE-LOUPE-Gemstone-Magnifying-New_W0QQitemZ200356805186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea6323a42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1326|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I tried using a magnifying glass I had, it definitely wasn't strong enough for me to get a view like that.. Although, those pictures were probably taken with hand held microscopes. Still I wasn't able to tell whether they were clear or cloudy.

Edited by FrakersFarm (06/30/09 05:58 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #245207 - 07/02/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

A 30x jeweler's loupe is good. :thumbup:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies