Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetophernotsocool
Friend of Earth
Male

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
usefull banana fem tek
    #232785 - 05/27/09 08:36 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i haven't tested this myself so don't take it as fact, but a few friends of mine claimed its confirmation..

..gasses emitted from a ripening banana peel added to your germination process will increase chance of feminizing in your seeds.

--------------------
"and take me disappearing, through the smoke rings of my mind,
down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
the haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
far from the twisted reach, of crazy sorrow.
yes the dance, beneath the diamond sky, with one hand waving free,
silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
with all memory and fate, driven deep beneath the waves,
let me forget about today, until tomorrow."~bob dylan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: tophernotsocool]
    #232790 - 05/27/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i have never heard of anything like that

--------------------
Riots are the voices of the unheard.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: Yungpunk]
    #232801 - 05/27/09 10:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yungpunk said:
i have never heard of anything like that

yeah....i wonder what gasses are emitted from a ripening banana peel?....if its co2 then it could help with growth but idk about helping it become a fem?.....probably nowhere near what dry ice or a tank and regulator could do....unless you had like 50 - 100 naner peels?....idk im curious......i do know that fermentation of organic materials creates carbon dioxide / decomposition of organic matter such as compost will create carbon dioxide.....but as far as just tossing ripening banana peels in your garden would help turn it a fem??? i want more info explaining what kind of gasses come from a ripe banana peel that help turn a cannabis plant a feemale????? sounds too good to be true? just like the myth that smokin banana peels will ge you stoned?

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #232849 - 05/27/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like an old wives tale to me.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: Yrat]
    #232866 - 05/27/09 01:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

email sent to mythbusters!

--------------------

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #232869 - 05/27/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yungpunk said:
email sent to mythbusters!

:lol:really?

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#232872 - 05/27/09 01:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

lol but we should!

--------------------

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#232873 - 05/27/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

a myth that too many rotting banana peels rotting in one place can kill you due to to much carbon dioxide?

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #232887 - 05/27/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yungpunk said:
a myth that too many rotting banana peels rotting in one place can kill you due to to much carbon dioxide?

:rofl:i wonder how they would test that myth??? with a rat or sumthin?

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#232900 - 05/27/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

idk im sure they have a way.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #233092 - 05/27/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is actually widely circulated information... the gas that they emit as they decay is ethylene which is found in products like sensi soak to increase the incidence of females.
The procedure is to wrap cut up banana peels in paper towels (you want the gas they emit not the moisture which will rot the seeds) and put them in a plastic bag with the seeds you want to be fem.
Every couple days remove the peels and put new ones in. After about 10 days germ the seeds.
I've never seen proof that this works, but it is a well known procedure. 
If you want to try it, let us all know how it works.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: 81renaissance]
    #233118 - 05/27/09 07:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ethylene is commonly used to ripen fruit for produce, but i've never heard of it affecting the outcome of a plant's sex by treating the seed.  i strongly believe sex is determined by genetics more than anything else.

however, if anyone is willing to try this, please do so in a scientific manner.  split your seeds, say 10 and 10.  treat one batch with your banana peels or ripe apples, another great source of ethylene, germ them, and see if there is a significant difference in the female to male ratios.  of course, random chance should always be taken into account, and such an experiment should be repeated multiple times so that any observed difference is indeed significant.

good old chi-squared...

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#233134 - 05/27/09 07:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

can you force sex a plant by going from 24/7 light to 12/12 at a early age? if so ill test this out

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #233141 - 05/27/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
This is actually widely circulated information... the gas that they emit as they decay is ethylene which is found in products like sensi soak to increase the incidence of females.
The procedure is to wrap cut up banana peels in paper towels (you want the gas they emit not the moisture which will rot the seeds) and put them in a plastic bag with the seeds you want to be fem.
Every couple days remove the peels and put new ones in. After about 10 days germ the seeds.
I've never seen proof that this works, but it is a well known procedure. 
If you want to try it, let us all know how it works.

Quote:

Yrat said:
ethylene is commonly used to ripen fruit for produce, but i've never heard of it affecting the outcome of a plant's sex by treating the seed.  i strongly believe sex is determined by genetics more than anything else.

however, if anyone is willing to try this, please do so in a scientific manner.  split your seeds, say 10 and 10.  treat one batch with your banana peels or ripe apples, another great source of ethylene, germ them, and see if there is a significant difference in the female to male ratios.  of course, random chance should always be taken into account, and such an experiment should be repeated multiple times so that any observed difference is indeed significant.

good old chi-squared...

:strokebeard:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#233330 - 05/28/09 05:14 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yungpunk said:
can you force sex a plant by going from 24/7 light to 12/12 at a early age? if so ill test this out

you can start flowering a plant as soon as it reaches sexual maturity (when the nodes begin to alternate) but then you will have a smaller harvest.  of course, if someone just has a bunch of bagseeds to try this experiment on, it wouldn't really matter.

a better way to go would be to take clones off the mothers (and would-be fathers), make sure to keep track of who came from who, and force the clones to flower once established.  this way you can know the sex of the vegging plants before you switch them over.  this is obviously much more work though, and would require a bit more space.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #233335 - 05/28/09 07:14 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ethylene is used to make feminized seeds. Maybe thats how this got started :shrug:

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: ethnoguy]
    #233347 - 05/28/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i've only ever heard of gibberellic acid being used to feminize seeds... well actually, to force a female plant to develop "male" flowers for pollination in order to produce purely female seeds.  you can see where genetics comes into play here.

don't get me wrong, the recent talk of ethylene for feminization is definitely interesting.  i just don't see how it's possible to use a plant hormone to change the sex of a seed that is already programmed to be male through its genes.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #233385 - 05/28/09 10:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There are a few products on the market. From what I read gibberellic acid is the most unsafe. Actually in the HT in my avatar there is an article about seeds by Jorge Cervantes. He spends a couple of paragraphs explaining it. If I had a scanner I would post it.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: ethnoguy]
    #233734 - 05/28/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
There are a few products on the market. From what I read gibberellic acid is the most unsafe. Actually in the HT in my avatar there is an article about seeds by Jorge Cervantes. He spends a couple of paragraphs explaining it. If I had a scanner I would post it.

EG

Why don't you just re-type it? Just smoke a bowl and get busy!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: usefull banana fem tek [Re: Inverted]
    #233739 - 05/28/09 09:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

ethnoguy said:

EG

Why don't you just re-type it? Just smoke a bowl and get busy!

yeah i did that the other day/ this post from high times------>Toking & Transplants

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale