Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Centre
Male
First grow, log of my 15 friends developement.
    #196540 - 02/16/09 05:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I started a grow about 3 weeks ago, I planted 23 seeds, 20 came up quickly, and I culled the 5 worst ones. I have 15 left, in different sized pots.
One plant I put in a small pot just so that I can grow it to like a foot or a foot and a half, and put it into flowering, so that I can have a little bit of smoke till the harvest of the rest. I'll put it into flowering by growing it in my room, with just a little light through the day, and complete darkness for 12 hours. I'd like to go to sleep with a marijuana plant right next to me. Even if I only get like 5-10g off it, I won't mind.
The rest I'll try and get as big as possible, hoping to get 2 ounces average per plant. My two biggest I am aiming to get a half pound from (combined, a quarter pounder each.), and the rest I would like to get at least 50g from per plant.

I am growing outdoors, in pots, in my back yard, they will be getting at least 12-13 hours direct sunlight, (at the moment I am keeping them out of direct sunlight from 11:30 till 14:00-14:30, it is pretty hot these days.)
I live in a very moderate climate, the second most moderate in the world (Mossel Bay, next to Hawaii, and we all know about the good weed coming from the Hawaiian outdoor growers.) and I am growing a combination of some local sativa's, and a single Super Skunk plant.

I am growing a Swazi/Durban Poison/combination of the two. (Seed from a very good bagseed grow, that turned hermaphrodite, and even though it was filled with seed, it was VERY good weed, so without seed, and with MUCH better soil (I helped grow it, and I saw the soil it was planted in, it was SHIT.), not to mention the plant was grown in winter, I am SURE I am going to get some really good weed off it.
The other strain I am growing is a mixture of this, and White Widow/Jack Herrer. (Seed from a local grower, grew originally from bagseed from Holland (how he found a seed in amsterdam weed is beyond me, I think he bought an ounce and found one seed, probably pollinated by air, from a seed production nearby.), and it was also very good, I mean VERY good, and it was also grown in winter.
The final one was a seed I got from some good Super Skunk I smoked with a friend, when he gave me a bud to look at, I saw a seed and took it out, and then planted it when I got home.

I do not know which is which, but I will know when they get bigger and when I smoke them.

Here is my first pics:

My mutant fan leaf. (It also started with 3 first "real" leaves, and the first leaves where split.)

This I suspect is the Super Sunk, it looks like it has more Indica in it than the rest, can someone confirm this?

There you have it, my little pot garden after 3 weeks.

Oh, yea, here is my soil mix:
A mix of a very good soil that can be a little too water retentive, and not as good soil that is dryer. On my best plants, which I transplanted earlier, I only have the better, more water retentive soil, and the last 2-3 inches are filled up with the mix.

Now, I used chicken shit pellets as mix, I didn't really check percentages much, but I know there is quite a bit of it in, but over time the nutrients will be flushed out (I have put in a little much, but nothing serious.), if I use a little more water than normal, but wait longer in between for my soil to dry out, gradually flushing 20% of nutes over 2-3 weeks.
At the bottom of the pot, about where the roots will be just before it hits flowering, I mixed in some bonemeal, and there is no chicken shit there, so that my P levels are maxed out during flowering, for nice tight buds.

With every watering, I add seagrow, a very, VERY good fish emulsion that cannot burn, at all. (Once while giving some to my plants in the garden some of it, the cap burst off and the whole lot went over a single rosemary plant, the rosemary didn't burn, but it is 7ft tall now.)
I just pour a little bit in my water (like a million times more than they say, but if anything, it will help my plant, as it cannot burn.) before I water my plants. I will continue to give my plants seagrow for the whole growth season, mainly for the micro nutes. My friend grew a 7ft sativa that is pretty tight and through topping has 4 main colas that have twice the amount of bud than an average potted sativa's cola and 6 side colas that are about the size of an average plants main cola. (Note this is outdoor so you will find plants MUCH bigger, but he had to top the plant quite a few times as otherwise it will pop over the wall (which it is about to do, let's just hope it doesn't grow at all in length but a lot in width.) he has it next to and then the neighbours will see his huge plant.)
JUST by using seagrow in his SHIT garden soil. (The soil here is so bad, I wouldn't even call it soil, I call it shit sand, and is pretty alkaline, as we live right next to the ocean.)
But he does have a pretty big green thumb, and it is his first summer grow, both his other (REALLY GOOD.) grows where in winter.

I got my seeds from him btw, and all I know is, even though the plant it came from was a hermi, the weed was SICK and pretty potent as far as South African weed goes, it didn't have much yeild though, as a gram probably had like 10 seeds. I am guessing it to either be Swazi, Durban Poison, or PPP. (The only South African strains I know about, and I know it came from a sick South African bud, infact, I smoked some of the bud the original seed came in.)

--------------------
Current Grow, backyard outdoor.

Backyard Grow

It is just you out there, there is nothing to fear, as it is all just you. Displeasure and fear is an illusion, love is the only truth...

Edited by The_Centre (02/17/09 05:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, log of my 15 friends developement. [Re: The_Centre]
    #196585 - 02/16/09 10:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Very nice! I can't wait to see these girls when they are all grown up. Not to mention that seeing nice sunny pictures like that makes me forget the frigid tundra that is my homeland currently.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, log of my 15 friends developement. [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #196737 - 02/16/09 09:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Lookin Sharp!  Keep up the good work.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Re: First grow, log of my 15 friends developement. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #196847 - 02/17/09 04:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So they look like they are in good condition?
They have been going through a rough time lately with some heavy rainfall while I am unable to help them, and the soil is still a little too strong for them, so the tips are burning slightly, but I am not flushing as I know in a while they will get bigger and will need more nutes.

I will REALLY need to get me a PH meter, I think my PH is off a bit.

Is Chicken shit naturally slightly acidic or alkaline? As I can then know what problems are caused by.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

It is just you out there, there is nothing to fear, as it is all just you. Displeasure and fear is an illusion, love is the only truth...

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
. [Re: The_Centre]
    #199274 - 02/23/09 04:14 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I fixed my pH (my water was a 8.2!!!) and flushed one of my plants that was burning (not a full flush, I used the same amount of water as the size of the container) with some lemon juice added to the water to make the pH 6.2, today. I just looked at my old photo's, my plants have DOUBLED in size in a week. I'll post photo's the moment my camera is finished charging.

I also killed one plant that wasn't really growing much, and pretty much suffering, I then smoked it, and guess what, I GOT STONED!!! It was a weird body buzz, but I ACTUALLY GOT STONED! Something tells me these guys are going to be POTENT! My friend and I might have made a REALLY potent strain!!! I am sure there wasn't even a gram of materiel on that plant, probably like 0.5g of leaf, AND I ACTUALLY GOT STONED. I actually only smoked it for the sake of putting some flavour in my tobacco, and at first I thought I was getting a headrush, but then 15 mins later I realized that a headrush doesn't last that long, and for the next hour I had a nice buzz.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Edited by The_Centre (02/23/09 05:59 AM)

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Re: . [Re: The_Centre]
    #202790 - 03/04/09 01:04 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

My plants are getting really big now, my internet cap was finished and I couldn't get on until recently.

It's been a month and a half now, and most of my plants are a foot high. One is 1ft but really dense, another is a bit more than a foot but not as dense.

My biggest one has sexed 2 days ago, there is still a lot of growth, and I am guessing it going into full flowering in 2-3 weeks, by which time, at the current growth rate, it should be 2ft high, and by observing this particular strain in a winter grow of my friends (I got the seeds from him.) it should double in flowering period.

I also moved the grow area to a safer location because my dog ate some of the snail pellets and almost died. I saved the poor thing a lot of grief by feeding it a gram of weed, and she calmed down in a while and within 4 hours she was fine.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: . [Re: The_Centre]
    #202860 - 03/04/09 10:52 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Bad news about your dog, I'm glad she made it. Great news about the plants though! I can't wait to see how their coming along.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #203768 - 03/07/09 08:40 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Looks promising! Post some pics when you can!

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Re: First grow, log of my 15 friends developement. [Re: Annom]
    #204664 - 03/11/09 10:38 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Finally, I can post pics!

Anyway, one of my plants (tallest one, but very lanky, not very dense at all.) stems broke 4 nodes down (sucks.) it snapped off completely, and I tried to get it to grow back by to no avail, well, my plant has a nice topping now, probably only lose 15g, and since I'll probably have 100g+ (Quite possibly 500g+, and if all end up to be female (most likely, it's seeds from a hermi, so it is probably feminized.) and gives an average of two oz a plant and I lose 3 of my plants, then I will have 600g in total of bud, if I get that much I will give 100g of bud to my friend who supplied me with ALL the smoke I've EVER smoked, 90% of the time for free. (He grows, but now he can't anymore as he moved and there isn't sufficient sunlight in the only secure area to grow, and he won't get anything good, he just took the 4 5-6fters he has, that is almost finished flowering, and put them in a nice spot, it is shady, and only gets an hour or two of direct sunlight, but they are already close to harvest, (one will be harvested at the end of this month, and be cured and perfect on 4/20.) so he is just finishing them. Now, he gave me his seed collection recently (after first giving me 20 seeds of a strong sativa that's high is THE best I've ever felt, and that was from a seed LADEN hermaphrodite. It didn't take that much to get nicely stoned, so, if I grow mine seedless, I can just SMILE at thinking what I will have in store for me.

The plant I got the seeds from and shockingly some of the nicest smoke I've had (exept for the fact that it took hours to clean.) was my friends brothers plant. Now, that plant was SICKLY, it was planted just before winter and grew through the winter, moved it twice, it was stressed out, it flowered as the periods got LONGER, and basically was treated like shit. Now, in a gram of bud, 70% of it's weight was seeds. But, after cleaning it, and smoking a bowl of it, I SOARED, it was an amazing high, no body load at ALL. It was potent enough that 2 bong rips (I have big lungs btw, so make that 3 bong rips.) would get me quite high. I won't be surprized, if the bud I get from these babies are going to be the best smoke of my life, with the exeption of my friends 6ft white widow with 4 main cola's that is to be harvested in a few weeks.

He now gave me his seed collection (HUNDREDS of seeds.)

Now I have:
White Widow (Hundreds of seeds.)
Jack Herrer (A couple of seeds.)
White Widow x Jack Herrer (Own strain, haven't grow any of it, neither me nor him.)
White Widow x SICK southern african sativa. (Quite a big possibility it is PPP, another is Durban Poison, or Swazi, or just a mix of all of the above, or maby even some of the lost genetics they used to grow in the transkei 10 years back, before it got flooded with swazi and crime so there is only shit coming from there, now weed is 3 times as expensive (still cheapest in the world, I pay R100 ($10) for 20g-an ounce (we take a baggie, and we stuff it with weed, we don't weigh our stuff, ever.) and like $1-$2 a gram for high end stuff, and $5 a gram for REALLY good DANK. $10 a gram for hash. It used to cost $5 for a ounce of dank.
Jack Herrer x same south african strain. (TONS of seeds.)
Swazi
And a ton of unnamed seeds.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Edited by The_Centre (03/11/09 11:11 AM)

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #204665 - 03/11/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Now, for the pics: My plants are 6 weeks old. (Just looked at a grow journal I was going to keep, but forgot about, the first seedling came up less than 6 weeks ago.)

This is from inside, right next to my computer, where I study, listen to music, and type this:
Basically for 12+ hours of the day, I am a few feet from my plants, and it's secure too, as I got a place I can hide it in less than a minute. (there is a door leading to the garage, and RIGHT at that door, is a trailer with a closing top. In the case of a search, or visitors that are working on my computer or something, I can just grab my plants and put them in the trailer, close it, and lock it.

This is my best plant, it is the tallest, densest, with the biggest leaves:

Is this preflowers?

11 finger leaf:

The plant with the stem that broke off.

From the other side of the wall, the pool area where my plants used to be when they where small.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Edited by The_Centre (03/11/09 11:27 AM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #204685 - 03/11/09 01:23 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Those plants are looking great! I love the pic looking down the leaf blade, so cool. The one with the 'preflowers' looks more like stipules to me but I really can't tell from that picture. The easiest way to determine sex early is to look at preflower primordia formation, males usually have multiple little pieces of tissue that looks like a cluster of balls and will start to grow outwards born on little stalks (think banana), females generally have only one ball of tissue and it will be slightly oblong (think American football). (Be careful though, sometimes males will only form one flower/ball at the branch nodes and it will look like a female but the distinct oblong shape is missing.)

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #204693 - 03/11/09 02:14 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

What are stiptules again?

It is not those two hair things, it grows next to it, sorry, it is REALLY small, like, REALLY small, so it is hard to get a good shot of it, I don't have a macro lens...

Here is a sentence in my native language for interests sake, if you know Dutch, you should be able to translate.

Ek hou baie van hierdie hemp.

I said, "I really like this T-shirt." A "hemp" in afrikaans is a T-shirt, as all T-shirts used to be made from hemp, so the name stuck. Now that I think of it, almost EVERYTHING was made out of hemp. Infact, henry ford's first model-T was made out of hemp plastic, which was 10 times stronger than steel on impact, and it ran on hemp oil.

Ek = I
Hou = Like
Baie = a lot
van = Not applicable in this translation.
Hierdie: this
Hemp: T-shirt.

I love saying things like "Ek hou baie van hierdie hemp." While people think I am talking about a t-shirt, I am talking about how high I am.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Edited by The_Centre (03/17/09 01:23 PM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #204694 - 03/11/09 02:23 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Stipules are the 'two hair things' that grow from the nodes at the base of the petiole (leaf stem). If it is anything other than the stipules it is most likely preflowers.

I do not know dutch so I can't comment on the sentence, but it is a language I know I will have to learn in the foreseeable future so thanks for the reminder.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #204747 - 03/11/09 03:53 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Then, it's a preflower.

Hoping to see hairs soon.

BTW, once it is in pre-flowering, will it go into flowering soon or will it stay in vegging for another while. Basically, what I am asking is, is preflowers caused by sexual maturity (age) or photoperiod?

--------------------

Backyard Grow

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #204753 - 03/11/09 06:07 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Preflowers appear around the beginning of sexual maturity. If you go back through your pictures though you will notice the alternating branch nodes. That to me is a clear indication of maturity in my plants.

If you are asking whether or not they will flower on their own, that is a question of photoperiod. Plants that have been vegging for a year, like my bonsai mothers, will have preflowers on them but they will not flower without the required hours of darkness (generally 12).

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #204907 - 03/12/09 01:07 AM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I was wondering why they where doing that...
I thought it was just a mutation (Some of my plants had alternating nodes as seedlings and in the new branches.).

Now, I see there are nodes with TINY little leaves on my branches, will these also branch out? If they will, then I just hope they stay in veggng till they do.

Since my plants are only about a month and a half old, and the biggest one is 44cm. (17.5 inches.), how big would you expect them to get with another 3 weeks to a month of vegging. (Hoping the photoperiod stays long...)

--------------------

Backyard Grow

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #205276 - 03/13/09 05:14 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Another question then. Why is it, that my plants, who have preflowers for more than a week, aren't flowering, while my friends plants, are almost ready for harvest. (We are harvesting in like 2-3 weeks.) It started flowering way before it was 12/12. Does certain strains require a slightly different photoperiod? (He also has a plant that doesn't even have pre-flowers, and is 5ft tall and super bushy.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #205291 - 03/13/09 08:12 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Yup, different strains have different photoperiod requirements.

Quote:

An excerpt from: Breeding Tips by DJ Short

Inducing Sativa

After many years of first-hand experience breeding herb indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Here's a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less, and good luck!

Angle of Light

Angle of light simply refers to the physical angle of light source the plant is dependent upon for growth. Perhaps the greatest difference between indoor and outdoor environments has to do with the angle of light received by the plant. This is also one of the greatest seasonal differences between the Sativa and Indica producing regions.

Outdoors, the main light source is the Sun, with minor influence coming from nearby reflective surfaces. As a plant grows taller and broader outdoors, that angle of light from the sun changes very little in relationship to the growing plant.

Seasonal changes in angle of light increase the further away from the equator one gets. At the equator there is the least amount of seasonal change in angle of light, only about 20°, whereas at the 45th parallel that change is as great as 45°. At the 45th latitude, the Summer Sun is high in the sky while during early Spring and late Fall the sunlight comes from much lower in the sky. The farther one goes from the equator, the greater the difference in seasonal changes regarding angle of light.

Indoors, the lights typically range from a few inches to several feet from the plant. As the plant grows taller, its physical relationship to the bulb's angle of light changes considerably. Most indoor grow rooms have relatively low ceilings, therefore, raising the bulbs may maintain a similar angle of light early on, but eventually the angle changes. The same differences may be noted among plants directly below the bulb and the plants off to the side of the room farther away from the bulb.

Circular light shuttles tend to emulate the arctic summer and create a confusing signal completely unknown to the equatorial Sativa. Straight-track overhead light shuttles are more conducive to inducing the Sativa phenotype.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
Re: First grow, log of my 15 friends developement. [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #205353 - 03/13/09 05:40 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Oh, that is very interesting.

I was thinking about that, when my friend told me his 6ft plant was white widow, I thought he got the seeds mixed up, but now the fact that it was the first one to go into flowering and also white widow being the most indica we are growing, that makes me think that it really IS white widow. It sure looks full of trichs enough to be widow, not to mention it is quite bushy.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

OfflineThe_Centre
Male
    #205448 - 03/14/09 01:10 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Damn, Wow, you won't believe what just happened. I happened to get a helper for me in my garden, and since I almost NEVER get helpers for my garden, I didn't really think of the possibility that one will find my grow. I put him to work when he got here, and then went to sleep. 2 hours later a wake up and scream "MY PLANTS!!!".
He would DEFINATELY go around there as a lot of things he needs is there.
As quickly and descretely as I could, I tried to get them over the wall to the swimming pool area, and with 15 plants that was no mean task, as I coudn't get them over the wall, and the only way to get them around is to walk through the garage (I lost the key to the door.) and do do that I would be in plain sight of anyone who happens to walk by, so I first had to put them between some plants, and then look around to see if the coast is clear, and then run. As I was doing it, he popped around right where my plants are and asked if I had a lighter. THANK GOD he didn't have enough time to register what plants it was, and just got a quick glimpse (he isn't very smart, but he is loyal so I like the guy.), my heart dropped to the ground as he was looking around the corner.

Damn that was close...

(For all I know he doesn't even know what it looks like, but I'd rather be safe than in jail.

--------------------

Backyard Grow

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds