Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. Awesome

Closet grow recommendations? (UPDATE WITH PICS)
    #184096 - 01/18/09 04:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i am planning a closet grow for between 3-6 plants for personal use. the dimensions of the closet are pretty small..  22"x31" and 92" high.  i plan on running HID lighting and have found a sealed reflector that will allow me to vent all the heat from the bulb directly to my attic. i plan on lining the entire closet with aluminized mylar. and i will have a fan mounted to the wall to keep the air moving. i do have experience growing, but in much larger spaces.  so i am looking for some advice on the following topics:

bulb wattage:  i was thinking 400W would be more than adequate, but i am wondering if 400W is overkill in such a small space.. maybe 250W would be more than sufficient?  or would it even still be beneficial to go to 600W if i can sufficiently deal with the heat?

Heat:  i will be ducting air directly over the bulb through the canopy, will heat become an issue still?  should i create a fresh air supply through the floor, or draw air directly from within the closet?

smell:  if im venting directly to the attic, (and assuming that i am drawing air directly form the closet and not a fresh air source) will i need a carbon filter?  im doubting that even 6 small plants(should i chose to grow even that many) will create enough odor to alert neighbors and passers bye, but naturally i need to be certain.

im also contemplating an aeroponic/hydroponic system, since i have some rubbermaid totes that fit nearly perfectly in the closet. and could easily build one.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by Dr. Awesome (03/11/09 01:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLucas
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: Dr. Awesome]
    #184118 - 01/18/09 05:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Check out Stealthhydroponics.com, very cheap systems. I myself went with the Dual Spectrum Bubbleponics™ Complete Kit. Also check out Attitude Seed Bank, if they have Lowlife's White Russian you should get some. Autoflowering and feminized, but the best thing is that they only grow to 18" perfect for closets i'd say.

--------------------
It's called 'Moonajuana', shiz will fluff you up!

OfflineAKSE

#184224 - 01/18/09 02:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

bulb wattage:  i was thinking 400W would be more than adequate, but i am wondering if 400W is overkill in such a small space.. maybe 250W would be more than sufficient?  or would it even still be beneficial to go to 600W if i can sufficiently deal with the heat?

In that small of an area, IMO a 250w should be plenty, especially for a small personal grow.  If you could somehow deal with the heat build up in that small space, you could possibly
go with a 400w, but 600w is out of the question.  Also, by HID I am assuming you are going to use HPS.

Heat:  i will be ducting air directly over the bulb through the canopy, will heat become an issue still?  should i create a fresh air supply through the floor, or draw air directly from within the closet?

If you have a draft/breeze on the bulb it will be fine.  As far as heat build up in the room, If you have venting out you don't really need to go through the trouble on making a floor-intake.  However if you do something like use the 400w, you may have to do this just to safely use the light.

smell:  if im venting directly to the attic, (and assuming that i am drawing air directly form the closet and not a fresh air source) will i need a carbon filter?  im doubting that even 6 small plants(should i chose to grow even that many) will create enough odor to alert neighbors and passers bye, but naturally i need to be certain.

Doesn't sound like it should be a problem.  If anything, it will be your attic or house that is odorous.  And if need be, just get a filter.  solved.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Well the hydroponic idea is totally up to you, It will be a bit more maintenance than soil, but outcome could potentially be better.  Either way, I'de stick with the 250w.

Good luck!:sun:

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: AKSE]
    #184418 - 01/18/09 09:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the reason i was thinking going with a 400W is just in case somewhere down the road i decide to move the grow into a larger space, such as a spare room, where a 250W simply wouldn't be enough.  another question, can you safely hook up a 250W bulb to a 400W ballast without blowing anything up :eek:?  also, i intend to by a digital ballast that is designed for both HPS and MH bulbs.

like i said i will be drawing air through a sealed reflector and venting directly to the attic so as i understand the majority of the heat from the bulb will never even make it into the rest of the closet. 

im quite confident that this system will be able to dissipate the heat from a 400W bulb

thanks for the feedback tho guys!!  any more would certainly be appreciated.

is there anything else important that im not taking into consideration?

also could any tell me what kind of harvests i could expect from 6 plants done up SOG style?  im not a complete noob like i said earlier i do have some grow experience, and im starting to really think i will be going with some sort of home made hydroponics unit of some type.  so what kind of results could i expect on average assuming everything goes well using a 400W MH for veg, and 400W HPS for flowering?

OfflineAKSE

#184439 - 01/18/09 10:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you have a lot of money to blow on this project, then go ahead and get a MH.  However, a HPS will do a fine job in veg and flowering.:thumbup:

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: AKSE]
    #184440 - 01/18/09 10:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i dont think money will be an issue :laugh:

it's only 1 more bulb anyway

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #185691 - 01/20/09 09:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Your plan sounds great!

As for the variables, I would say definitely get both a 400w light and an carbon scrubber. You have plenty of space to dissipate the heat with a hood so you may as well get the most light possible.

As for the smell, I have a small cab with just 2 plants at a time; they give off quite a bit of smell, enough so that without a scrubber the entire house smells.

Make sure to have an intake near the bottom of your closet space.

Definitely try out hydro, you will love the results.

Keep us updated on your progress! :thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #185695 - 01/20/09 09:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

if everything is being exhausted into the attic, and there is otherwise no access to the attic, will the smell become an issue? im more concerned about a neighbor or passer by getting a whiff.  im still thinking a scrubber is a sound investment.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #185730 - 01/20/09 10:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Your plan sounds great!

As for the smell, I have a small cab with just 2 plants at a time; they give off quite a bit of smell, enough so that without a scrubber the entire house smells.

Ugh!!  That statement scares me.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #186070 - 01/21/09 07:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good plants reek. If you vent into the attic, most likely the neighbors wouldn't smell it but why take the chance? A cheap carbon scrubber will pay for itself with peace of mind alone.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineirradiated
a day late and a dollar short

#186072 - 01/21/09 08:20 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what do you think of that carbon filter material? like the furnace filter kind?

i'm using this stuff right now but venting directly outside, so i'm not really sure how well it's working. I can't smell it outside but my face isn't next to the vent either and its freezing cold temperatures so i'm sure that helps remove the smell pretty quick.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Closet grow recommendations? [Re: irradiated]
    #186105 - 01/21/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've never seen that type of filter. Is it activated carbon/charcoal? Is it made to reduce odor or something like that? I would be worried it wasn't the correct kind of material but if it was, you have quite a handy product imo.

Now you've got me thinking, I could use that to make an inline carbon scrubber; a goal of mine for quite a while.

:thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineirradiated

#186108 - 01/21/09 10:11 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The one I have is activated carbon, but they make similar ones with charcoal. Right now I have it pinned over the bathroom exhaust fan. I should go outside and do a smell test later on.

I also used it with a DIY can filter - wrapped this stuff around and duct taped it in place.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #186141 - 01/21/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, good find! Where did you pick that up? How much? Furnace section?

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlineirradiated

#186177 - 01/21/09 01:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yea i picked it up at home depot, furnace section. I think it was about $20 for a plastic bag that contained 3 fairly large pieces.

OfflineDr. Awesome

#200020 - 02/25/09 04:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well, after much research, i finally found all of the major equipment i will need for this project, and finally ordered it today, so in about 2 weeks it will feel like Christmas :laugh:

Lumatek 400 watt digital ballast, with both MH and HPS bulbs

silverstar 6" air-cooled reflector

roll of mylar for the walls inside.

ppm meter, since it is very crucial :wink:

as well as my nutrients for the hydro unit.  i went with Advanced Nutrients

since i am custom building my hydroponic unit i am curious as to what style of hydroponics everyone tends to favor, if the results are pretty much comparable regardless of what style.

so far my plan is to build the unit out of a black rubbermaid tote, with 6-8 3.5" net baskets, and 2x360 degree micro sprinklers inside for irrigation.  a 265gph water pump i think should be sufficient to power 2 of those mini sprinklers.

if i end up building teh hydro unit as planned, should i have the sprinklers on a timer?  or running constantly?

any thoughts? suggestions?

OfflineDr. Awesome

#200253 - 02/26/09 02:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

anyone???

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #200255 - 02/26/09 02:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The equipment list sounds great. As far as the hydro system, I prefer recirculating DWC buckets. I tried multiple plants in a single tub and its a pain in the ass if any of those seedlings turn out to be males because the root systems are inexorably tangled; you have to damage the roots to get him out. With recirculating DWC you can get away with a much smaller pump as well, for my four bucket system I use a tiny 60gph submersible.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineDr. Awesome

#200258 - 02/26/09 02:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'm actually going to be working from clones, so that shouldn't be a problem.  since im trying to pack as many plants into a reasonably small space, i don't think it makes sense for me to go with individual buckets for each plant.  i have a spare room that i could use for my grow, but then security becomes a much higher risk.

i also have to give props to you for your home made carbon filter there Dr. Penguin, i'll be building one of those myself.  how much carbon does it take to fill yours up?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #200264 - 02/26/09 03:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like the tub will work great then. Maybe ditch the misters, but im a fan of very simple DWC systems; less parts, less leaks/clogging.

Thanks. It was pretty easy to build, maybe an hour total. It took about a gallon and a quarter to fill mine, but don't do what I did and buy 1 gallon and have to go back to fill the last bit. If you have time to wait for an order, I would get a five gallon bucket of the stuff from e-bay or someplace like that because it will drastically reduce the price. I paid more at the fish store for my carbon than for 5 gallon of it on e-bay. You will have to replace the carbon every other grow anyway so you may as well buy a lot of it.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates