Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesandles
What method to use? Soil or hydro or?
    #134371 - 10/19/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What method should I use!?!? Soil with organic nutes? Hydro? I don't know what to do. I just want to grow the tastiest stuff possible and get about 2 oz per plant.

I was going to be using 600 hps for flowering. Also how many plants is good under a 600?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: sandles]
    #134376 - 10/19/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If taste is your biggest concern I would go organic soil, most pot snobs say its the best... That said I have done both and if the hydro is done properly, I can't taste the difference.

As for your lighting, it's not about number of plants, it's about the size. If you want lots of small single cola plants then try a high plant count sea-of-green, or you can go with 1-2 plants and grow trees.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinesandles
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #134413 - 10/19/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well whatever size would give about 2oz of fine nugz per plant, how many of those can fit under a 600?

Is there a expected avg weight per 600 light?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: sandles]
    #134426 - 10/19/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well there is defintly no 'expected' weight, but a good goal to shoot for is (.5g/watts) = 300g.

A 600w light will cover up to a 5' x 5' area so I would give each plant about 1.52 - 22 feet or about 8-13 medium sized plants.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#134781 - 10/20/08 04:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Bah you kids and your expectations of weight! Back in MY day, we were happy to get ditch weed and we LIKED it that way!  :hippie:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #134808 - 10/20/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
well there is defintly no 'expected' weight, but a good goal to shoot for is (.5g/watts) = 300g.

A 600w light will cover up to a 5' x 5' area so I would give each plant about 1.52 - 22 feet or about 8-13 medium sized plants.

I think the general equation is more like 50w per square foot, a 600w bulb with 25 sq ft would be less than half that.
I'd say that a 4 x 3 area would be a lot more beneficial as far as getting the best yields...sure you could grow in a 5x5, but your plants won't reach their full potential.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #134824 - 10/20/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have never really liked the 50w per square foot rule. It works for when you have multiple lights uniformly distributed throughout a room but for a single light it just isn't practical. A point source (single lamp) doesn't shine down proportionally on every square foot of the growing area, some spots get more light than others. If you use a lamp the correct way (tall plants on the outside, short plants in the middle), you can get quite a bit of use from a 600w lamp.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #134953 - 10/20/08 10:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm gonna have to disagree a little on this one. I'm with Dr on the light not being even but firmly believe in the 50watt thing. I don't believe the bulb can be pushed passed the 50 per sq foot limit with decent results. With a 600watt bulb after you get outside the 3x3 sq foot area the lumen's drop extremely low. I wish I could count how many times I went outside the limit and the stuff on the outside of the grow area always turned into bubble hash material.
Now if you wanna rotate your plants around every few days you may be able to make it work out but lets face the facts most of us just won't do that.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: Magash]
    #135001 - 10/20/08 11:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"The light from a point light source spreads out uniformly in all directions. The intensity at a given distance r from the light will be equal to the power output of the light divided by the surface area of the sphere through which the light has spread. Since the area of a sphere varies as the square of its radius r, the intensity will vary as 1/r"

Basically, light is emitted in a circle; having a perfectly flat canopy only takes advantage of a line bisecting the circle at two points giving us a limited square footage when dealing with a plane surface. But a concave canopy does not suffer from this limitation and therefore can have a much greater square footage without loss of intensity.

Heres a diagram I whipped up:

While I totally agree that for the average person who isn't interested in moving their plants around, 50w per square foot is a great rule of thumb, but it is not absolute which is what I meant in my first post.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #135525 - 10/22/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
But a concave canopy does not suffer from this limitation and therefore can have a much greater square footage without loss of intensity.

Heres a diagram I whipped up:

That's what I try to do in my narrow grow room:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What method to use? Soil or hydro or? [Re: Annom]
    #135526 - 10/22/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Exactly. If I grabbed your measurements correctly, you have about 35w per square foot, but growing in a concave shape like that, you pull off some impressive yields.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies