Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChronica

Loc: Canada
Lighting Question
    #129123 - 10/05/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, before I ask my question im just gonna say itd be nice to have a forum with questions on lighting, and things related to lighting.

Anyways heres my question.

Will stuffing as many plants as I can in an area with a small 250 watt hid decrease the yield per plant since theres more plants using light(im thinking the proper word here would be lumens but il just use light so i dont look stupid) from the light? Or does it not matter and they can grow fine as long as they are receiving light?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lighting Question [Re: Chronica]
    #129131 - 10/05/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
Well, before I ask my question im just gonna say itd be nice to have a forum with questions on lighting, and things related to lighting.

Perhaps in time, but for the most part, new forums are created when there is already existing enough traffic to justify needing its own forum. We could easily have twenty sub-forums for distinct topics, but it would needlessly complicate everything. It isn't like this thread on lighting is getting buried with no responses due to threads on other topics being created. :wink:

Quote:

Will stuffing as many plants as I can in an area with a small 250 watt hid decrease the yield per plant since theres more plants using light(im thinking the proper word here would be lumens but il just use light so i dont look stupid) from the light? Or does it not matter and they can grow fine as long as they are receiving light?

It is really a question of whether or not they would be blocking each other from receiving light. If your spot was definitely overgrown, yields per plant would likely go down. Light can penetrate through leaves, for example, but the more shaded other leaves are, the less light they'll receive, so photosynthesis won't work as effectively, so the plant will be making less energy for itself to grow if it was not being shaded at all.

Lumens is a measurement of light that is put on a weighted curve that is based on the human eye's receptivity to light. It is used most commonly to measure light output, but more lumens doesn't necessarily mean more usable light for plants, as plants use different spectrums of light that are not properly represented by lumens. Either way though, its generally what is used.

--------------------

Offlinetenacioustornado

Re: Lighting Question [Re: Sirius]
    #129275 - 10/05/08 04:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes stuffing as many plants would decrease yield, but you could do a sea of green(SOG) type grow. There should be threads around here on the forums, if not there's plenty tutorials on other forums.

OfflineChronica

Loc: Canada
Re: Lighting Question [Re: tenacioustornado]
    #129369 - 10/05/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tenacioustornado said:
Yes stuffing as many plants would decrease yield, but you could do a sea of green(SOG) type grow. There should be threads around here on the forums, if not there's plenty tutorials on other forums.

Stuffing plants and sog is the same thing in this case.

Edited by Chronica (10/05/08 11:09 PM)

Offlinetenacioustornado

Re: Lighting Question [Re: Chronica]
    #129420 - 10/05/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

whoops I meant a smaller SCROG(screen of green).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies