Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Alabama, USA
My First Growing Expirament.
    #127359 - 10/01/08 08:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

hello all,
some of you all may recognize me from the shroomery.

a few weeks back i had 60(+ or -) seeds from a decent bag of mids, i then took them and placed them outside into the worm beds.

worm bed, you may ask, what is this? a few years ago me and my grandfather raised earth worms to sell. well, the worms are no live in these beds, but they're soil does. it is extremely rich soil. ages peat moss along side cow manure mixed in and fertalizer.

i placed all the seeds randomly in one of the old beds, and within literally four days i had at least three plants an inch tall. as the days would pass, i'd go to water a bit, and they were everywhere! some of them were almost 5 inches long.

since them, we've moved them into an inside location. They're 21 plants, each has it's own cup.

I built a very cheap but as a i see it easily workable.

it's a cardboard box, average depth of a shoebox, only bigger.

I turned the box to where i could line the inside with aluminum foil, and have it on the light bulb as a chandelier hanging over the plants.

i also have two 60 watt lizard lamp bulbs and a night lamp bulbs to use in the lighting.

But note, we can also allow sun through the windows of the house during day hours.

Now, to all my questions...

1. does my set up thus far seem decent to grow these plants inside?

2. Males plants, they are potent, just not as potent as it's womanly counterpart?

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Handcrafted Wooden Pipes
- Money

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Maysrome]
    #127362 - 10/01/08 08:37 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Incandescent bulbs are pretty much useless for growing pot, as are lizard lamps. Go to home depot and buy some CFL's (compact florescent). They produce a much better spectrum and much less heat than the incandescent you have in there.
Also, watch out with aluminum foil, the crinkles can cause magnification and hot spots which can burn your plants leaves.
Speaking of hot, cardboard and heat are a big no-no, a fire would ruin your day, not to mention that the humidity and water from your plants will invite mold to grow in the cardboard and eventually rot your babies. If you want a cheap container that might work a bit better, get two nice big rubbermaid tubs, spray paint the inside flat white and stack them on top of each other. This is still not the best option but it is cheap and will work.

Sorry to throw so much criticism at you, I hope some of my suggestions work out. Good luck and happy growing!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #127363 - 10/01/08 08:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome to the Growery, man. :bigweed:

All right, I'm going to tell you this right now - you're just not equipped right now to have a successful grow with these plants. Most notably, you don't have the right kind of light that they are going to need to live. Lizard lamp bulbs are more for providing heat than anything, as far as I know, and it doesn't sound like the other stuff you're using will work either. There are two things you need to look for when it comes to light - the right spectrum of light, and the right intensity. Indirect sun-light for a few hours a day is not going to help either. For comparsion: Most indoor growers start seedlings underneath specifically chosen fluorescent lighting that is running 24 hours a day, just a few inches above the seedlings, in order to provide them enough of the right kind of light that they need. Failing to do this will result in the seedling stretching very tall, as it looks for the light it needs to live.

There's just no way this will work, and, I should also mention that, usually, cardboard should not be anywhere near a light bulb, as it is a potential fire hazard. Also, the shiny side of aluminum foil works very poorly as a light reflector - a flat, white surface is much better.

If you're looking to do an indoor grow without needing to invest too much money, the best way is to use CFL bulbs. I don't have much time right now as its chow time, but I can help you figure out what kind of bulbs you will need to be able to choose a few of your best looking seedlings and get them going on a better start if you're interested.

Also, male plants, for all practical purposes, don't offer anything in the way of tokage is concerned. Unless you'll be breeding with them, male plants aren't going to serve you any good, unless you want to experiment on them before you kill them. :evil:

--------------------

Offlinekrypto2000

Loc: Slightly off the Ground
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Sirius]
    #127437 - 10/01/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well I don't really have much more to add, but just wanted to welcome a familiar face. I just joined here from the shroomery a few days ago for the same purpose. Good luck with your grow man.

OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: krypto2000]
    #127465 - 10/01/08 02:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

alright guys, thanks for all the feedback. i'm not taking any offense at all the things i'm doing wrong. it was simply an experiment, since i'm a first time grower, and i'm thankful that i'm getting some good advice before it's too late.

Quote:

Go to home depot and buy some CFL's (compact florescent). They produce a much better spectrum and much less heat than the incandescent you have in there.

how much do these bulbs cost, and how many will i need at this point? also, do i need a specific light fixture or will an 60 watt one work?

Quote:

If you want a cheap container that might work a bit better, get two nice big rubbermaid tubs, spray paint the inside flat white and stack them on top of each other. This is still not the best option but it is cheap and will work.

could you describe this a bit better as to how to build it and use it properly? it sounds interesting.

Quote:

If you're looking to do an indoor grow without needing to invest too much money, the best way is to use CFL bulbs. I don't have much time right now as its chow time, but I can help you figure out what kind of bulbs you will need to be able to choose a few of your best looking seedlings and get them going on a better start if you're interested.

i would appreciate that, PM me if you'd like.

Quote:

Also, male plants, for all practical purposes, don't offer anything in the way of tokage is concerned. Unless you'll be breeding with them, male plants aren't going to serve you any good, unless you want to experiment on them before you kill them. :evil:

so then it is true that male plants have no THC? hmm, i've always herd mixed opinions. thanks.

Quote:

I just joined here from the shroomery a few days ago for the same purpose. Good luck with your grow man.

indeed so. it sucks that you can't use the same login and keep all your stats from each board to board, since they're ran by the same folks obviously.

makes me feel like a newb all again... :blush:

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Money

OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #127486 - 10/01/08 02:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i was looking at some grow journals in the other fourms and realized that my mother is trying to convert my entire house to the CFL bulbs the same size as the ones in their pictures.

is it white and around the same size as a regular 60 wat bulb, only made of spirals or glass? if so, damn, i've got plenty.

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Money

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #127502 - 10/01/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Maysrome said:
how much do these bulbs cost, and how many will i need at this point? also, do i need a specific light fixture or will an 60 watt one work?

I'm not exactly sure of the cost of the specific ones you will need, but usually CFL's can be around $10 to $30. CFL bulbs will fit in any standard light socket. Now, the first thing you'll need to make sure of is that the bulb you are getting is producing the right spectrum (or color) of light. During the vegetative state, plants primarily need blue light, and during the flowering state, they need more red light. The bulbs should list their color temperature. For the vegetative state, you'll need something near 6500k. For flowering, which you won't need to worry about purchasing now, you need something near 2700k. Also, the 6500k bulbs are often described as "daylight", and the 2700k bulbs as "soft white". Later, when you are ready to start the flowering cycle, you can simply unscrew the 6500k bulbs and replace them with the 2700k bulbs.

Secondly, you will need to know the intensity of the bulbs. In order to properly judge this, you'll need an idea of how much floorspace your grow will be taking up. The higher the wattage of a lamp, the more intensity it has. Also, CFL bulbs will have listed on the package how many lumens the bulb produces, and this is the number you will need to be concerned with. Typically, any CFL bulb underneath 20 watts is not going to produce enough lumens to be effective with your grow. One thing you will have to be careful on when looking at the wattages of different bulbs is that CFL bulbs are marketed as replacements for the inefficient incandescent bulbs, and they will usually be marked with the incandescent wattage that the CFL is replacing as well.

Anyways, to figure out how many bulbs you will need, the general rule of thumb is to make sure you have at least 2000 lumens per square foot of floor space. Of course, the more light you provide the plants, the more quickly they will mature and the more yield you will get in the end. The best goal to start out with is at least one bulb per square foot of floorspace. Also, the bulbs will need to be as close to the plants as they can as long as there isn't too much heat to hurt the plants, a good goal is to try about three inches away.

Here is a link to a grow log by Hefe, who is using CFL bulbs from beginning to end. There is also another log going by Chapter 4 that you should check out. As you will learn in Hefe's grow log, the downfall of CFL bulbs is that the light doesn't penetrate too far away from the bulb, which means it is necessary to grow shorter plants. Hefe planned for this by only keeping his plants in the vegetative state for three weeks, instead of closer to six weeks as one usually would, and it is working quite well.

That's pretty much what you'll need to know right now as far as lighting is concerned. Of course, that is just the beginning, and there's a lot more you're going to need to learn, but hopefully this gets things moving in the right direction. The next topic of concern is what you're using for growing medium, but I've got to jet for now. :grin:

By the way, how old are these seedlings, how tall are they, and how many sets of leaves do they have?

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #127506 - 10/01/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

but usually CFL's can be around $10 to $30

It's $2-5 for 15W CFL over here.

OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #127513 - 10/01/08 02:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

thanks a million for all the above.

Quote:

By the way, how old are these seedlings, how tall are they, and how many sets of leaves do they have?

most are almost a week and a two or three days old, and a few of them are getting to around four or five inches tall. they all only have four leaves as of now.

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Money

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Annom]
    #127533 - 10/01/08 03:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Quote:

but usually CFL's can be around $10 to $30

It's $2-5 for 15W CFL over here.

It is probably the same in the States from what I remember when I was there, but I was speaking more of the 20 to 50 watt CFL bulbs. If you're using 15watt bulbs for a full grow, which I think would be about 1200 lumens on average, you'd need to be using more than one per square foot to hit the baseline. Its not a bad idea to use more bulbs to improve the distribution light across all surfaces, but adding more bulbs won't increase the intensity of the light, and since that is the real shortcoming for CFL bulbs, it'd really pay off to go with higher intensity bulbs, and then start adding more of them within the same space. The nice thing about CFL's is you can stick those fuckers everywhere - on top, on the sides, in between..... :lol:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #127547 - 10/01/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Maysrome said:
most are almost a week and a two or three days old, and a few of them are getting to around four or five inches tall. they all only have four leaves as of now.

Now, is most of the height below any of the leaves? I ask because I'm assuming that these seedlings have already stretched a lot. For example, I have a seedling right now that is about a week old, and it has its cotyledons (the first set of round, smooth leaves), a larger set of leaves, and is now working on its next set of two leaves, and it is only 3cm (1.2 inches) tall. Its been directly underneath 6400 lumens of blue fluorescent light that has been on for 24/7. I mention this because you really want to get the plants off to a great start by minimizing the stretching that occurs when they are looking for light as much as you can, especially since you'll be growing with CFL's and height will already be a concern.

The best thing you could do right now is transplant the seedlings you'll be keeping into a bigger container, and bury their stems all the way up to the cotyledons. This is the way to go because then you won't have problems with long, thin stems (another reason, besides the height problem that comes with stretching, is that thicker stems are better because more water can be pulled through them, meaning your plants will be able to mature faster and yield more), and, as an added bonus, the stem that you buried will grow lots of roots (more roots means faster maturation and more yield as well :grin:). I'd suggest replacing your bulbs with the best CFL bulbs you have around the house right now (look to see if they have the color temperature listed on them, but even if it is the 2700k one and not the 6500k one, it's still better than what you have now), get the seedlings just a couple inches away, and leave the light on all the time.

Plants don't need added nutrients for the first week or two, and then, depending on the type of soil you have (assuming you are growing in soil and not a soil-less mixture) you'll have a while before they need more. Of course, that all depends on the quality of the soil you have. Stuff like MG is pretty much not preferable for growing, although those who know what they are doing can get away with it well. Finding a great soil is one of the best things you can do for your situation, because it will make everything a lot easier for you. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #127553 - 10/01/08 03:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i must say that unfortunately yes, most of the height is below the leaves. they're tall and thin as of now. they were first started out doors and they grew like that even with full sun.

they have the two round ones, and they have two of the jagged ones.

i'm going to check out those bulbs now.

i know my terminology is very noobish, but, despite my semi decent drug knowledge, i do not know shit about growing and the technicalities involved.

i'm a learner, lolz.

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Money

OfflineGROWEED
Crack Smokin' Hoe-bags
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: []v[] i C H I G A []\[]
    #127558 - 10/01/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I would also like to note it will be worth the knowlege gained to raise these with any CFC's you can find if you need to for your buget. Grow a few by any means you have.
BE SAFE WITH ELECTRICITY!
If you are not comfortable taking apart and rewiring a bunch of random thrift store lamps you should read up as much info on safe ways to splice wiring as you can. Also use the correct tape black or duck :grin:. Last thing you want is firefighters watering your plants :super:

Give them a box with a means of reflecting light. Mount Lights add fans get the plants blowing in the breeze as much as you can. In other words, Get as much air into the say the bottom of the box as is coming out the vents in say the top back of the box.

Last and not least http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/

Hope I helped :headbang3:

GROWEED!

--------------------
Post is for ornamental use only.
10 centimeters = 3.93700787 inches

Edited by GROWEED (10/01/08 04:00 PM)

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #127579 - 10/01/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, definitely better to go with the 50W CFL's. Those are more expensive.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Annom]
    #127795 - 10/01/08 10:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The grow space I was talking about is just two rubbermaids of the same type, about 2'x1'x2' stacked directly on top of each other. If you are a member at the shroomery, think double tubs but bigger... Paint the inside flat white, drill an 80mm hole in the top for a computer fan and a couple smaller holes near the bottom for passive intake. Then drill some smaller holes in the ceiling to support your lamps and voila, a 15$ growing chamber.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineMaysrome
Simply Amaysing.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #127835 - 10/01/08 11:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, dr. penguin, i may experiment with this one.

--------------------
Shroomery PM Trading
Looking For:
- Salvia Plant Cuttings
- Root Barks
- Vaporizers
- Glass Pieces
For Trade:
- Money

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #127891 - 10/02/08 06:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Give it a try, just make sure to post some pics :thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlinekrypto2000

Loc: Slightly off the Ground
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #127895 - 10/02/08 06:22 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

About how much can you grow in there penguin?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Growing Expirament. [Re: krypto2000]
    #128108 - 10/02/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Depends... If you know what you're doing, have good genetics, and are diligent about low stress training to achieve a flat/even canopy, upwards of .5 g/watt can be expected. Its really about how much you know and how many watts you put into the box. I grow in a cab with only 3 sq. feet of floor space and pulled 4oz off one plant.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate