Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

is there a way
    #123981 - 09/19/08 11:43 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I can collect pollen from the male plant and pollinate a female with out pollenizing the rest of the females?

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesaltatory
Re: is there a way [Re: THEBats]
    #124008 - 09/19/08 12:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

certainly. one of the easiest ways would be to collect the pollen in a bag around the male's branch, close that bag and put it into a bigger bag. place the bigger bag around the stem/flower of the female then open the smaller bag containing the pollen. make sure you seal up the big bag so no pollen leaks out onto other branches/females. leave the big bag in place for a few days and then carefully remove it and spray water to inactivate the excess pollen. this should allow you to pollinate a single female bud without affecting other females in the same space.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is there a way [Re: saltatory]
    #124063 - 09/19/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also, collecting pollen and then using a paint brush to apply the pollen to the selected female branch allows you to selectively pollenate.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinesaltatory
Re: is there a way [Re: 81renaissance]
    #124068 - 09/19/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

do you use a bag with your paintbrush method too? i guess i might be overestimating the spread of pollen, but it seems a little risky to "paint" in open air.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: is there a way [Re: saltatory]
    #124070 - 09/19/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The bag isn't necessary, but some other precautions are...here's a link, not very in depth, but gives the basics.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: is there a way [Re: 81renaissance]
    #124075 - 09/19/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

do I have to separate them or can I just cut all but on pollen sack off then collect the pollen from that one?

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #124087 - 09/19/08 10:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Separate the plants by some method.  I actually found a better explanation of the process here, but as you can see, its still important to isolate the male(s) from the females if you are doing a selective pollination. 
Don't underestimate the ability of your plants to find a way to procreate.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #124493 - 09/21/08 01:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
do I have to separate them or can I just cut all but on pollen sack off then collect the pollen from that one?

I was going to mention this, but, when working with pollen you have to be very very careful.  The stuff sticks to everything and spreads very quickly.  People collect pollen on q tips and use them to "paint" selected buds to reduce the risk of pollinating the rest of the plant.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: is there a way [Re: coda]
    #127260 - 09/30/08 11:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

One of my botany professors showed me a trick for selective pollinating one time.... Catch a honey bee or a bumble bee or any type of bee really. Proceed to put it in the freezer for about 2 hours. Take it out, remove the head and impale the thorax with a tooth pick. Use the body of the bee to rub on the male flowers to collect pollen, then rub it on the female flowers to pollinate. The bee body can hold many times more pollen than a q-tip or paint brush, and is much more resistant to air currents removing some of that pollen (without giving up the ability to rub off the pollen) and accidentally pollinating unwanted females.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds