Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlargIAmDead

First Grow - Browning of Leaves
    #110856 - 08/18/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So this is my first grow from some swag bag seed. I've got a setup inside of an old sub woofer box with books to elevate the plants to near the lights with a fan blowing in the bottom to circulate air. I have two computer fans (one in the rear and one in the front pulling air out). Getting an inline fan here in a few days to replace these two pitiful excuses. My problems are many and varied.

Noob Mistake list:
1) The box gets too hot when I have all four lights in so I had to remove the big red ones for now and I'm just running on the smaller whites. Both are 24 watts for a total of 48 W now. The temp was up to 98 degrees near the lights but I've got it down to 84.

2) Instead of starting the seeds in small pots and going to my final pots (32 oz gatoraide bottles) I just put them right off in the gatoraide bottles which in a combination with the heat and fan continuously blowing on them dried out the top soil pretty quick and I think forced much of the plant energy to developing roots to get to water that was at the bottom of the bottles.

I used Scotts brand top soil because someone commented that it was basically ph neutral. My soil composition is 2 cups scotts, 1 cup perlite, 1 cup vermiculite with LECA pebbles on the bottom for drainage. The ph of my water is around 7.5 so got some ph down today and the ph of my nutrient solution is between 6.5 and 7. Using testing strips (I know that I should get a meter but I can't justify it at this time).

Now the problem, my plant's leaves are yellowing and browning and eventually dying. I've had a plant lose most of it's two main leaves to die back. I've given them a single dose of half strength nutrient to hopefully give them some vigor but I haven't noticed any changes.

Sorry bout being sideways. Just turn your head :frown:.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehightimes
Male

Loc: aussie land
Re: First Grow - Browning of Leaves [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #110905 - 08/18/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
I used Scotts brand top soil because someone commented that it was basically ph neutral. My soil composition is 2 cups scotts, 1 cup perlite, 1 cup vermiculite with LECA pebbles on the bottom for drainage. The ph of my water is around 7.5 so got some ph down today and the ph of my nutrient solution is between 6.5 and 7. Using testing strips (I know that I should get a meter but I can't justify it at this time).

Now the problem, my plant's leaves are yellowing and browning and eventually dying. I've had a plant lose most of it's two main leaves to die back. I've given them a single dose of half strength nutrient to hopefully give them some vigor but I haven't noticed any changes.

stop! giving them nutrients at that age!ph adjusted water is all you need for now, also i think you ph is a little high try around 5.8-6.0...flush them with some ph adjusted water  :tongue2:

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: First Grow - Browning of Leaves [Re: hightimes]
    #110924 - 08/18/08 02:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

They started to die before the nutrients. That's why I was trying them. But I went ahead and watered them thoroughly to get rid of excess nutrients. Will check the temp here again in a bit. But they already have roots down to the bottom of the gatoraide bottle O.O

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies