Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Humboldt nutrients
    #108838 - 08/13/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Are these commonly used nutes?
If so, and I was looking to buy just essentials for a soil grow, what would I need to look into buying?
If you're not familiar, but are an experienced grower the site is here .
Thanks in advance from the noob grower.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedave_the_stoner
Pot head
Male

Loc: Somewhere
Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: 81renaissance]
    #109285 - 08/14/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Those are more of a hydroponic type of nutrient line, they will work with soil, but it would be expensive.
And if your looking to buy just the essentials a good place to start that wont let you down would be some compost, and perlite. It's a real basic way to go but you can always add amendments to it. Or if you have it available nearby "Fox Farm" makes some real nice soil and nutrients, it's from Humboldt but they dont go throwing the name around like that other brand.

--------------------
"What me worry".-Alfred E. Newman

OfflineDJYoshaBYD
Grand-High Pooba Joo
Male

Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: dave_the_stoner]
    #109612 - 08/15/08 09:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

compost, and perlite

get a bunch of this, and mix it in with your soil according to directions.. then water it.. you want to do this before you even plant them... then you just get some good soil food from your local grow shop.. Im using Age Old food right now for our soil grow, and we are VERY impressed.. Its the first time I have ever used their stuff, and its great, so I recommend that..

after the soil is prepped, then you just feed them PHd water, and then only feed them every 2 weeks with the actual nutrients... you dont have to give food constantly in a soil grow, as that is what the soil prep is for.. the food helps replenish what the soil has lost, and also gives it other things, like essential oils and whatnot...

if you want a very easy way to do a soil grow, then just go out to a local nursery or home depot, and get a good, big bag of nice potting soil... Black forest is nice.. then just go to your grow shop and get food.. then you dont have to worry about mixing things.. too much manure and the PH will be off, and then it wont eat, then they look wack, etc etc etc..

--------------------
Joo Crop '08 - White Witch, White Widow, Some random bagseed

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #109653 - 08/15/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Those are more of a hydroponic type of nutrient line

Just because they have a specific line for hydro doesn't mean all their products are meant for hydro.  Their grow/micro/bloom line would be a nice choice for soil and it's a helluva lot cheaper the fox farm.  I don't know why you think 25$/gal is expensive, that's dirt cheap compared to a lot of other lines out there.

If you were to choose anything from that site that would be the line i would go with.  Grow for veg, bloom for flower, and an occasional dose of micro to add in the beneficial micro nutes needed during your grow.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedave_the_stoner
Pot head
Male

Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: coda]
    #109835 - 08/15/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

Those are more of a hydroponic type of nutrient line

Just because they have a specific line for hydro doesn't mean all their products are meant for hydro.  Their grow/micro/bloom line would be a nice choice for soil and it's a helluva lot cheaper the fox farm.  I don't know why you think 25$/gal is expensive, that's dirt cheap compared to a lot of other lines out there.

If you were to choose anything from that site that would be the line i would go with.  Grow for veg, bloom for flower, and an occasional dose of micro to add in the beneficial micro nutes needed during your grow.

You must have taken what I said in the wrong context. It's about the same price as any liquid fox farm nutrients I've seen anywhere. But fox farm has other nutrients (For soil in particular, Peace of mind line, happy frog line, marine cusine.) that'll last a person a very long time for cheap.

And I would have to agree when you said that if I were to choose anything from that site that would be the line I would go with too. However he stated he wants just the essentials for a soil grow, and you really dont need all that on a first time venture, I've seen plants grow beautifully with simple compost, perlite, and water with the occasional feeding of compost tea.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: dave_the_stoner]
    #109843 - 08/15/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It's about the same price as any liquid fox farm nutrients I've seen anywhere.

no, fox farm usually sells their gallon containers for 40-50 bucks.  This line is 1/2 that.  The quart size bottles are around the same price or a little cheaper, but you get 3x more with the humboldt line.

Quote:

However he stated he wants just the essentials for a soil grow, and you really dont need all that on a first time venture, I've seen plants grow beautifully with simple compost, perlite, and water with the occasional feeding of compost tea.

I don't see why these wouldn't be considered essentials for soil growing?  Veg nutes, bloom nutes, and micro nutes (which is the only thing i could consider non essential in the mix).  That's what the essentials are, high N for veg, high P and K for flower.  I don't have a problem with amending soil, but it's really easy to fuck up for a first time grower.  Nothing wrong with buying some soil, like fox farms line, and using some bottled nutrients to reduce the risk of failure.  If you don't amend your soil correctly and your plants don't get the right food, you're fucked from the start.  For someone who's looking to make it as easy as possible, bottled nutes and a solid, prepackaged, soil is a good route to go.

Personally, IMO, i would even lean more towards agroponics as being the easiest method of growing.  It can, however, be a little costly with the nutes.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedave_the_stoner
Pot head
Male

Re: Humboldt nutrients [Re: coda]
    #109850 - 08/15/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I never meant for this to get so argumentative. But have you purchased large quantities of liquid nutes that you are going to use, but not use up in a few months? I have, and all except the micro started growing green mold (Earth juice line). For a small/moderate soil grow, gallon size is impractical, you just don't need that much unless your going hydro.

As far as amendments to compost and perlite go, they really aren't necessary, but can be useful. I understand your concern of fucking up with them, but a little research would reveal the proper amounts to use. Plus I cant count the number of threads I've seen over the years of people fucking up and using the "Recommended" dosage listed on the bottle, and overloading their plants with nutes. Really there is room to fuck up any way a person decides to go. Thats why I recommended compost and perlite, it's cheap, simple, and wont burn your plants, perfect for a new grower.

Really it all comes down to 81renaissance's preference, budget, gardening skill, and setup. Hopefully we have given the potential grower some food for thought in this thread.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies