Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMislead
 User Gallery

small stem
    #107271 - 08/10/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

the stem on my plant isn't getting any bigger even though the top is growing, i'm worried that it will fall over soon any idea's would help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: small stem (moved) [Re: Mislead]
    #107272 - 08/10/08 05:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This thread was moved from Soil Cultivation.

Reason:
Moving this to the main cultivation forum as the topic has nothing to do with soil.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: small stem [Re: Mislead]
    #107304 - 08/10/08 05:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

How old is the plant? As long as the plant is in a healthy environment, I'm sure the stem will thicken as the top develops more. You could have a problem, however, if the problem is a seedling that was not given enough light of the right spectrum. If the plant needed to really stretch to look for light, a thin, long stem will be a problem. How old is the plant, though?

--------------------

OfflineMislead
 User Gallery

Re: small stem [Re: Sirius]
    #107308 - 08/10/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

3 to 4 days but i'm not going to get 6500k bulbs for about a week do you think i can keep it standing up for that long? i've got an hps, and some cfl that are not very high kelvin. i put it outside today hoping it would thinkin up a bit, and have brought it in now to sit under the inside lights. i've had like 15 bag seed this is the only one that sprouted

OfflineMislead
 User Gallery

#107313 - 08/10/08 06:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've got it under a 18/6 light cycle do you think it might help if i just give it 24 hr light and move it outside during the day?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #107337 - 08/10/08 06:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

as for vegging times...

I don't know if it's accurate but I hear 20/4 yields optimal (100%) 24hours is 80% yield and 18/6 is something like 85 or 90% yield

I saw it in a post of collective data on icmag.

It seemed scientific enough for me

Hanky had an idea of running 24hour veg then 14/0 for flower, the idea being hopefully the long vegging days will allow for a shorter night cycle during flower resulting in higher yields.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #107355 - 08/10/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mislead said:
3 to 4 days but i'm not going to get 6500k bulbs for about a week do you think i can keep it standing up for that long? i've got an hps, and some cfl that are not very high kelvin. i put it outside today hoping it would thinkin up a bit, and have brought it in now to sit under the inside lights. i've had like 15 bag seed this is the only one that sprouted

Putting it outside is probably the best thing to do for now, even if for just a few hours, since that will be the best source of the spectrum of light it is looking for. It is really hard to say if it could wait that long, just because its really hard for me to know just how thin it is, but as long as it is getting a decent amount of light to live, it should be fine for now. What you can do to help later, is when you transplant it, bury the majority of that long stem underneath the soil. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: small stem [Re: captain.koons]
    #107359 - 08/10/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
Hanky had an idea of running 24hour veg then 14/0 for flower

What is 14/0? I'm pretty sure the two numbers have to add up to 24. :wink:

I've heard the thing about the different times that you mentioned as well. I haven't seen a lot of people actually use 20/4 though, but it was interesting enough. Mislead, I'd recommend 24 hours of light for it, especially while it is a seedling. All that seedling knows is that it is looking for light, and if you're already having problems with it stretching to get light, giving it hours of darkness is only going to make it stretch more.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #107377 - 08/10/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

14/10* ass.

I want to compare 20/4 and 18/6

I'm pretty sure 24/0 isn't best.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #107414 - 08/10/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
I'm pretty sure 24/0 isn't best.

Why would you think that?

--------------------

OfflineChronicbs

#107444 - 08/10/08 09:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

18/6 is healthier than 24/0 from what I've read and what I've seen first hand for a vegging plant.  At very least there is no difference between the two and you can save money running your lights less.  I'm pretty sure the plant does something during the night cycle that it apparently needs to do.  I don't think running 18/6 increases growth really, I think it's just supposed to decrease plant stress and save money.

Offlineb0b gnarley
 User Gallery
    #107589 - 08/11/08 01:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Turn an oscillating fan on it, it will strengthen the stem and the roots. :thumbup:

OfflineChronicbs

Re: small stem [Re: b0b gnarley]
    #107606 - 08/11/08 01:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

b0b gnarley said:
Turn an oscillating fan on it, it will strengthen the stem and the roots. :thumbup:

Oops forgot about the OP.  Thats excellent advice there for strengthening the stem from gnarley. :thumbup:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #107633 - 08/11/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chronicbs said:
18/6 is healthier than 24/0 from what I've read and what I've seen first hand for a vegging plant.  At very least there is no difference between the two and you can save money running your lights less.

There hasn't actually been any demonstrated reason why 18/6 would be more healthy than 24/0. The idea that, at the very least, there is no difference between the two is not true, because, while you might save money from running your lights less, you will have more stretching occurring, since they are no longer receiving light and they want to receive that light, and stretching is usually not desirable at all (the shorter distance between internodes, the better). Turning off the lights during the vegetative state is only going to increase the amount of time it takes for the plants to mature. I've never actually seen anyone suggest what it is exactly that the plant needs to do during the night cycle. Less light, less energy, less growth, more stretching. It doesn't stress the plants out to be underneath 24/0, provided that everything else they need is provided for.

Ed Rosenthal:

Quote:

Marijuana plantes photosynthesize as long as they receive light as well as water, air, nutrients and suitable temperature. Photosynthesis is the process in which plants use the energy from light (primarily in the blue and red spectrums) to combine carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air and water (H2O) to make sugar while releasing oxygen to the air.

Plants use sugars continuously to fuel metabolic processes (living) as well as for tissue building. The plant combines nitrogen (N) with the sugar to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. They are the substance of plant tissue. When the light is off, the plant's metabolic processes, respiration and growth, continue.

The plant can photosynthesize continuously so it produces the most energy and growth when the light is on, continuously. Continuous light does not stress the plant, which reacts somewhat mechanistically to it.

Plants under an 18-6 light-dark regimen are producing sugar only three quarters of the time. They are thus growing at only 75% of their potential. Leaving the light on continuously will result in bigger plants, faster, which leads to higher yields.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #107637 - 08/11/08 05:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

interesting.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineMislead
 User Gallery

#107661 - 08/11/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I had a fan in the Closet with it and an opening to try and vent the hot air; I was unable to bring the temperature down the a good grow level and i believe that the small plant could just not stand the heat, as it did completely fall over this morning. i was able to bring the temp down from 94 to 90. This is why i started with bag seeds no point in wasting 10 dollar seeds when i can get free seeds and kill them while i get everything right (a lesson i have learned threw growing mushrooms- keep failing till everything is right).

If anyone has any tips or good idea's for bring temps down or how i can get a plant started till it can survive the higher temps please let me know.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #108208 - 08/12/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

18/6 is healthier than 24/0 from what I've read and what I've seen first hand for a vegging plant.

that's not true at all, in fact your plants will grow 33.3% faster under a 24/0 cycle.  There is no need for a dark period in veg.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom