Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Size of Pots for Sea Of Green
    #10133 - 04/23/08 03:37 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

All right, my friend is hoping to start growing soon. He'll be getting a 400 watt HPS (with a Son Agro bulb) and he's interested in going with a sea of green growing technique. The floor space will be 4 feet by 4 feet. He'll be growing strains that are mostly indica (Pakistan Valey, Blueberry, and such).

I've read that when one is flowering with such a setup, one should look to have one plant per square foot. Is this a good rule of thumb, or has anyone fit more plants in the same space with success?

Anyways, I'm interested in knowing what size pots he should aim for. I've read that, with sea of green, it is better to find taller, skinnier pots. My friend gets water by the two liter bottle, and they are very tall and skinnier. If these could be used, it'd be great, since they are already coming in and getting tossed out (that hippie ideal about reusing :smirk:).

I've seen Magash's pictures of solo cup plants. :lol: Essentially, I have the impression from some reading that the size of the pot only changes how frequently one would have to tend to watering, nutrients, etc. Is this true, and would these bottles work, or is it necessary to have a certain size pot dependent upon how big the plant will get?

Thanks for the help. :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: Sirius]
    #10137 - 04/23/08 04:00 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Root mass is directly proportionate to yield so use the biggest pots you can fit in. Also, square pots give a vast increase in the amount of root space compared to similar sized round pots.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: Hanky]
    #10142 - 04/23/08 05:00 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds good. What size do you or someone you know use personally? Also, a video I watched recently stated that one should never reuse the same soil due to toxins. I don't quite understand this, especially seeing Annom's grow log which maintains permanent soil. What was their basis in saying as much, and is it actually necessary? Tossing out five gallons of soil per plant every time sounds expensive. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#10146 - 04/23/08 05:08 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have been using 20 liter plastic buckets but I'm switching to milk crates lined with panda film since we worked out that they'll hold well over 30 liters or ten gallons of media. They're also square which maximizes use of available floor space.

I've never grown weed in soil so I can't comment on the stuff.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #10151 - 04/23/08 05:19 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Well, my friend will be using coir/perlite so could you comment on that? :hehehe:

5 gallon pots sound like the best way to go for now then. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #10167 - 04/23/08 05:42 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Also, a video I watched recently stated that one should never reuse the same soil due to toxins. I don't quite understand this, especially seeing Annom's grow log which maintains permanent soil.

I really don't know if the following is true, but I read that the plant's waste products(toxins?) are deposited in the top layer of the soil. That's why we remove/renew the top 1/8 of our soil. We also add worms and micro-organisms to keep the soil healthy. I really don't know if any of this works and to what extend it helps.

I think the "never use the same soil twice" is a marketing trick. We are now in our 7th grow while only renewing the top 1/8 of the earth every grow. Yield has not decreased so it sure is possible to grow more than once in the same soil.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#10168 - 04/23/08 05:43 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

You'd get a way with 3 gallon pots as you'd be flowering a sog when they are still quite small and root growth seems to slow considerably during flower (they grow roots heavily during veg). So they might not have the veg time for filling 5g buckets with roots and you'd just be wasting space.

Coco can be used over and over and I have done so in the past using a 1/4 inch wire screen to sieve the roots out of the coco perlite. It must be flushed very well after screening to wash out built up salts from unused nutes that have precipitated out of solution. When I say flushed heavily I mean running 100+ liters/30+ gallons of water through each 5 gallons of recycled media, you can do that with a 5 gallon bucket with a heap of half inch holes drilled in the bottom, any smaller than a half inch will clog.

I made a whole pictorial for cleaning coco and gave it to ythan and trendal a year ago. Ask them where it went if you want to view it.

--------------------

Invisiblemaggotz

#10184 - 04/23/08 06:46 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

under perfect conditions, what kind of yield can one expect from an sog setup like this? i'm guessing he'll be having 4 plants or is that 1 plant per foot2 bullshit? i actually thought they needed more space but i've only grown outdoors so far and they can get fairly large if you let them.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: maggotz]
    #10185 - 04/23/08 06:49 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Have a look at Magash's sogs in cups at the shroomery, he flowered clones in little cups as soon as they were rooted and must have had three or for of them per foot.

You can expect a gram per watt off a sog with out too much difficulty.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #10229 - 04/23/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If you're growing SOG, IMO, i'd use one gallon pots. In a 4x4 area you can fit about 20 one gallon pots/bags. Using a 1k watt light you can theoretically yield close to two lbs.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: coda]
    #10260 - 04/23/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Coir and perlite would be considered a soiless mix.
It only provides an anchor for plant and doesnt provide any organic nutrients, peat moss and verm would also be considered a soiless mix.
Soils have pieces of organic compounds that breakdown and supply the plant with nutrients.

I will use organic products like fish emulsion fertilizer indoors but prefer to keep the soil outside.

If your going 4x4 with a 400 your gonna wanna keep the plants fairly short to maximixe your light.
Sea of Green will be perfect for this.I would use a 6 inch square pot, that will give you 4 per square foot.If you use pots that are taller than average and you'll increase root space.good luck.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: erb]
    #10340 - 04/23/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think my friend settled on five gallon square pots for the initial grow, as they will go through six weeks of vegetative growth or whenever they show signs of reaching sexual maturity, so they can grow all the roots they need. He'll be taking clones and then implement the sea of green, putting the clones under the HPS as soon as they root. One gallon pots should be fine, then? These bottles I'm talking about are perfect, and he'll attach two together to get a really tall, skinny one gallon pot.

Does that sound like it'll work? :smile: Aim for about four plants per square foot?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #10346 - 04/23/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Im assuming you'll be keeping those moms in a 5 gal pot? Should be ok, dunno about your bottle idea. It can work but make sure the bottle is opaque though, you don't want lights hitting your roots.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: coda]
    #10349 - 04/23/08 11:43 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, they'll stay in their big ass pots, until they are smoked. :hehehe:

The bottles are clear but he could make them opaque. It'd be no problem to just get some good pots but these bottles are really slender and tall, which I read would be perfect for a sog. I'll take a picture later. :lol:

--------------------

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

#10609 - 04/23/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It's ok if your starting out, but square pots will give you the maximum amount of root space.
Oddly, most department stores don't carry square pots.

OfflineEvan
Medical Marvel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: erb]
    #10610 - 04/23/08 02:36 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I don't see how having square pots gives you more root space either way its the same volume. You'll have more space on the ground, that is if you keep your pots touching each other. Anybody explain why square would give you more root space?

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

Re: Size of Pots for Sea Of Green [Re: Evan]
    #10622 - 04/23/08 03:03 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

there is no wasted space between the pots if you have them touching.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder