Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjd202
Stranger
Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots?
    #744096 - 08/15/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

the pots i'm looking at are 1 2 3 5 7 10 15 20 25 gallon are my choices.

now i'm going germinate my seeds get them nice size then move into the pots.

what size should i get i'm going to buy like 10 pots. should i get like 10 gallon pots? or 15 or 25. how big you think i'm gonna need for growing under a 400 watt.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: djd202]
    #744099 - 08/16/14 12:12 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

5 to 7 gallon should work fine.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #744111 - 08/16/14 04:52 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I like the 5 gallon, any larger and you might waste a lot of soil unless you want HUGE plants. Remember one thing, you can always put less soil in a larger pot, but you can't put more soil in a smaller one. 

I'd imagine you're probably going to find out that your gonna want to do about 9, so they square up in a 3x3 pattern and get ~even light. Your 10th off to the side won't do any harm but its going to be a single plant on the outside basically. It'll be a good experiment to see how the extra does if you have the space, but I'd go with 9 slightly larger plants.

Pot size really depends on how you want to grow. You have to figure on the general rule,  basically one ounce of bud per gallon pot size and/or one foot tall per gallon is about what your aiming for. I'd start with 5 gallon pots with about 4 gallons of soil (right, not going hydro or anything like that?) and see how that works. Then try 5 the next time and see if its any different/worth it. Three is a little bit too small and will probably leaving you wish you had a bit more room. I think 7 is getting a bit too large, but it would let you experiment with say 4 large plants instead of 9 smaller ones. That is something you need to feel out with the plant, if it likes to be topped for example it might be better off short and wide.

Are they all the same strain? are you going to keep a mother plant at all?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: phychotron]
    #744137 - 08/16/14 04:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Are you tyring to fit 10 at the same time under 400 watts? You could always figure out the dimensions and simulate what these pots will look like in the space you plan to put them.

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #744148 - 08/16/14 05:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

yes there all going to be the same strain, and yes i want to keep a mother plant.

10 plants under the light not sure if i should or shouldn't gonna buy like like 5 or 10 see how many i can afford.

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #744155 - 08/16/14 06:13 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Is this just for veg or for start to finish? Cuz if its your only light, personally, under a 400w i would go with somewhat small plants and more of them (SOG).

you could also grow some huge bitches and SCROG them...but then you waste veg time.

i assume you mean regular black round nursery pots, and if so i suggest you look into square pots with heavy drainage like the Active Aqua containers from hydrofarm or any other brand.

the squares come in various sizes but ive seen a guy do awesome stuff in 7 inch squares...but he eventually moved up to 9 inches and it was a lil better.

You could also try fabric containers like smart pots. The extra drainage compared to regular nursery pots will help you out.

if you do decide to use standard pots ive seen 3 foot plants in a 3 gal container in coco/perlite, under a 440w t5...they looked good for mothers but if you plan on flowering them keep in mind theyre gonna stretch and overgrown plants under a 400w will suffer from not enough penetration.

thats why id advise multiple small ones to keep the canopy short..

--------------------

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #744177 - 08/17/14 12:00 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

if you are going to do 10 plants with only one 400 watt light then u will have to go with small pots. cause 5 gallon size pots will be to big and you wont be able to fit all them girls under that one light .. and deffently wont be enough light for flowring. i use two 1000 for 12 plants and i would have like to use another 1000 but just dont have the space in the tent to set up another light mostly due to the fact that i dont think the frame can handle holding 3 lights and two carbon filters

if anything if u can afford it.. go with at least 2000 wats... or go 4 600 watt lights and get better light coverage and u will be pushing 2400 watts.. and the more light coverage the better and quality growth u will have and also u will get more bud too. and u wont get nasty stretch out stick girls from to much lack of lighting

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: Mrshroom]
    #744234 - 08/17/14 05:48 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

guess i can afford one more light maybe a 600 watt so i can fit at least 7 plants under the two lights. might go veg 2 strains of seeds.

kinda in a bind since my tent didn't come with an instructions. there suppose to be sending it. might have to get a tent elesware and get a small one at that.

just 4 gallon black pots from amazon if you wanna pm where to find better ones do. drill holes in them so i get drainage. need an easy to use ph meter now that i think of it suggestions.

Edited by djd202 (08/17/14 05:49 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #744249 - 08/17/14 06:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

if you get a ph adjust kit from General Hydroponics you get a bottle of +, a bottle of - and liquid test drops. those work well at first, and you'll need some pH adjust probably anyway. Best way to start without spending too much money on equipment. If your in soil its not as important to adjust the pH as it is with hydro.

how big is your tent?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #744253 - 08/17/14 06:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DPDHXE?pc_redir=1407238646&robot_redir=1

Look for those in single quantities.

dont worry about a pH meter if youre doin soil. For a first grow there are more important things than meters.

you still havent said if your 400w is just for veg or start to finish

400w alone is for personal...
400w veg and 1000hps flower is getting into enough to supply others.

depends what your ultimate goal is

--------------------

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #744447 - 08/19/14 05:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

the tent is big 8 feet by 7 feet. can i fit an extra light?

find those pots in singles?

i think its veg since i'm going try autoflowering seeds.

Offlinewebster10

#744450 - 08/19/14 05:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Dude for indoor go for photo strains honestly. Autoflowers have come a long way but they're mostly for outdoor gardening out of season. IMO they just can't live up to photosensitive strains indoors.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #744483 - 08/20/14 12:35 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

djd202 said:
the tent is big 8 feet by 7 feet. can i fit an extra light?

find those pots in singles?

i think its veg since i'm going try autoflowering seeds.

Be sure to plant the auto's in the pot you plan to harvest in. Start in small pots and then transplant to bigger ones cuts down on the harvest yield in a huge way with auto's.

Are you saying the tent is 8x7 with only one light. A 600 watt is good for 3x3ft space. A 1000 is good for a 4x4. If you had a tent that was 8x8 that would be the perfect size for 4 1000watt bulbs. This was done with two of them in a 4x8 space

Even if you use 1 1000watt bulb the vast majority of your tent will be empty.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: Magash]
    #744596 - 08/20/14 08:22 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

ok i will grow females instead of autos. but i might just grow autos or both. or something. just trying to grow autos cause its interesting.
i have a pmm meter bought it because i thought tds/ppm and ph were the same thing but now i need a ph meter cause there apparently not the same.apparently you have to calibrate the meter to get accurate readings seems confusing.

i seriously might just order 100 aqua pots i don't see why not. can't really think of much eles i need  surge protector, medium, ph tester, and seeds of course.

germinating the seeds i hope goes well when i get there and 50 watt blue light thing the kit came with. this is where failed last time so i hope this kit is a failsafe on starting plants. get me some v sucker branches and make some clones i assume.

using the AccelaROOT 50-Cell cubes there premoistened when i bought them they have been sitting around for a while will they be good to remoist when i have to use it?

Edited by djd202 (08/20/14 08:23 PM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Growing some plants first gro buying some Pots? [Re: webster10]
    #744608 - 08/20/14 09:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Dude for indoor go for photo strains honestly. Autoflowers have come a long way but they're mostly for outdoor gardening out of season. IMO they just can't live up to photosensitive strains indoors.

Cheers to that. Besides what Webster said, the only other benefits I know of are that you can rely on autoflowering strains to fit into small grow areas and be stealthy, you can have a perpetual harvest without a separate veg area, they also allow you to grow small plants as decoration around the house. I've personally decided "auto flowering" strains are inferior in almost every way for indoor growing. technically all strains auto flower once in 12/12.

Hey did you figure out which kind of planters you were getting, djd202? I need some new planters and am curious what other people are using or considering. I was thinking about trying plastic gro bags, in addition to something else. They are like 20 cents to a dollar each. I like that you can roll them down to change the size a little. Gro bags might suck though

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
    #744813 - 08/22/14 08:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

oh the planters yeah thats a difficult thing. i mean 20 cents to a dollar each you can't go wrong. i'm really not sure i'm going to get some black cylinder black plastic pots i found on amazon i'm not going to get fancy just yet wanna see if i have skill in this.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#744836 - 08/22/14 09:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I kind of like the idea of these

though at 10$ each for 3gal that's kind of expensive for my budget. I actually kind of like fabric planters, but they are hardly a cheap alternative to plastic. It just occurred to me to buy similar fabric bulk and make my own...

Offlinedjd202
Stranger
    #746136 - 09/02/14 10:34 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

i went to walmart bought a bunch 2 one 1 gallon pots. gonna grow some babies. those bags are big get some big plants off one of those.

my grow is coming along great just waiting for the seeds got the blue lap ph meter that you don't have to calibrate.

growing 10 blueberry bliss seeds. and ones trans siberiean seed and prolly some other free seeds.

had no trouble hanging up the lights and booster fans etc.

gonna great :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies