Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Texas
*** First Time Bagseed Grow - (*** NOVICE)
    #857250 - 06/11/22 08:33 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I'm completely new to this, but I love all that is organic and growing. had hella seed to start germinating. then got a seed starter kit from amazon. just got some basic potting soil and plant food. I do plan to buy an indoor greenhouse and lamp soon. but now my focus is to get these sprouts going.

going to upload pics at a later point, been a while (13 years since I was last on here still trying to figure everything out.

Edited by Queeninferno (06/13/22 11:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Getting a Seedy bag of Swagg ain't so bad anymore [Re: Queeninferno]
    #857257 - 06/12/22 09:41 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

If you're growing indoors you'll want a tent rather than a greenhouse.  Size the tent according to the light you choose, keeping in mind that you'll want around 15w/sqft for veg, and 30w/sqft for flowering with modern LED.

Also, avoid buying soil from amazon, walmart, etc.  You can get better soil at a hydro or feed store, and you can make a better soil if you can source peat, high quality compost, and perlite or pumice, as well as some dolomite lime and an all purpose organic amendment such as espoma tomato tone.  All pretty easy to find where I'm from.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

Re: Getting a Seedy bag of Swagg ain't so bad anymore [Re: yoosername]
    #857258 - 06/12/22 12:32 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

awesome sounds good to me, the plan is to grow them in the garage. Or at least get them started in the garage. I have little ones and cats running around so I'd rather have it completely out of the way.

but I've got a long way to go before that point

so small tent and LED lamp instead of a green house. gotcha !

so I have six seedlings,  planted in starters in regular potting soil in the garage with the light on . should I put the plastic cover back on the tray? i trying to get the to sprouts

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857259 - 06/12/22 01:18 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't use a dome unless your humidity is super low or they keep drying out too fast.  I only use domes for cloning, which is a skill I recommend you pick up at some point.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857261 - 06/12/22 02:56 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Hmm, I see. ok then. I gotta a lot to learn .good thing I have an open mind.

so my short-term goal is to at least get 3 of those 6 seedling sprouts to a height of 3 in

then later in the week ill be able to get stuff to make a more suitable growing environment,

but I plan to just keep germinating seeds and blooming sprouts and work on getting a healthy nursery going, then from there as the plants age and grow I'll just use my resources here to guide me

my end goal isn't to obtain smokeable flowers but if that ends up happening then what eves lol

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857263 - 06/12/22 03:11 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

should I leave the light on in the garage? , I don't have any  other light source atm

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857267 - 06/12/22 07:08 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Ideally you could throw a 15 watt LED lamp over them for now.  If the seedlings don't get enough light, they will stretch and get super leggy to the point where they'll fall over.  Leaving the garage light on would probably be enough light to keep them in veg, but not enough for healthy growth.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857269 - 06/12/22 09:01 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

oh, I see, ill just have to be patient till I can get the appropriate lighting, and set up. 

ill just germinate as many seeds as possible, given the fact that I got to be prepared for trial and error. 

yep, that is the most accessible thing I can do. it'll build a good foundation

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857270 - 06/12/22 11:28 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

If you have seeds to spare, maybe try setting some outside, in pots or directly in the ground.  I had a bunch of GMO clones that were close to 3' tall, so I threw them outside in pots and in the ground.  Some of the leaves got bleached, but they'll survive.

With seedlings, they are typically able to adapt to the sunlight right away, so I even get "volunteer" cannabis plants popping up in my garden beds from pollen chucks of previous years.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857271 - 06/13/22 07:00 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

oh man, that's so cool, yes I need to build my seed reserve up.

the funniest thing happen bout an hour ago. so I had six seedlings in the starter tray, right.  well, I decided to take the tray and put it on the patio so it can get some sun before it gets too hot. I fucking tip the tray to the side too far cause I was still a little sleepy I guess... anyway I tipped too far to one side and all the dirt and seedling fell out of four of the starter cells ... lmao!!!!

I was able to secure two seedlings properly in the soil. so just like that, I went from 6 to 2 lol

I'm sure once I get my grow set up and lamp I don't have to worry about carrying flimsy plastic trays in and out of the house.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857273 - 06/13/22 09:23 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

yeah, I'm going to completely have to start over, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm very new to this, and I do have some funds to get a decent lamp and tent, I also realized the soil I have is ugly from being moist and hot from being out in the heat.

so here's what's on my list

15 w grow lamp ,small grow tent, plain ol' soil (not big box store).

Fertilizer?

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857274 - 06/13/22 10:08 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

That sucks, but it happens.  I just had a honeyberry cutting get blown off the window ceil, didn't notice it until it had almost dried out.

These days you can get seeds for free if you know where to ask, people will hand them out for testing purposes or to help make themselves known as a "breeder".       

A small grow tent such as a 2x2 would require around 60 watts of LED for veg, a 15 watt bulb is like the bare minimum for starting seeds and making clones.

Also, when shopping for lights, be sure to go by the actual wattage, not the equivalent rating.

The soil and fertilizer you use will depend on how much effort you want to put into it.  For organics, it could be as simple as picking up a bag of fox farm ocean forest, or as complicated as making the peat compost aeration blend I mentioned earlier, and feeing it with KNF plant ferments.

Another option is to buy the highest quality earthworm castings you can find locally, and mix it in a hole with your native soil.  If your soil isn't very good, adding some dry amendments such as kelp meal, crab meal, alfalfa meal, or a multi-meal blend such as the espoma garden or tomato tone to the soil can help.  The latter can be top dressed as well, should you run into deficiencies during your grow.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857275 - 06/13/22 10:48 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

wow, there's so much info to take in, well I have a few days to take time to do my research before making a purchase.

Now that I think about it, My end goal isn't to get it to flower, so do  I really need a tent?

I saw something about soaking your seeds for 24 hours before planting,

also, I'm ditching the paper towel method ...

The next round will be seed straight into soil

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857276 - 06/13/22 11:06 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

If all you're doing is vegging, the tent isn't completely necessary.  You could even DIY one out of a cardboard box.  Cannabis will grow under many imperfect conditions, you only really need to dial in the environment if you are going for quality or yield.  That said, it will grow faster if you dial everything in.

I try not to exceed a 12 hour soak, but between 12 and 24 hours is usually fine.

And yes, straight into soil is as easy as it gets.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857278 - 06/13/22 11:49 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

To be honest I"m just trying to set reasonable goals.

I would love to produce my own budd, that'll be a great accomplishment!

But for now just going to take baby steps.

I have some biodegradable 4-inch peat planters. I think the only thing I would need to invest in is a good grow lamp. I can just put the plants on a table out of the way in the garage and put the lamp over the table.

my garage is pretty humid and warm, very warm especially now with this triple-digit heat.
I'm just really straying away from growing anything outdoor until this heat simmers down. (Sept-Oct(hopefully)

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857280 - 06/13/22 03:21 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I dislike those peat planters, they never seem to work as intended.

Something to keep in mind is that plants will add humidity to the air, and lights will add heat.  With a few small plants in a large garage, it might not be a huge issue, but be aware that growing can cause mold issues if not properly ventilated.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857281 - 06/13/22 05:51 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

ok, cool thanks for letting me know,  there is a fan in there we use for circulation.

but now I'll keep that in mind when I set things up. now it's just a matter of time.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857318 - 06/16/22 09:31 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

So I ditched the paper towel method.

going to be starting seeds in rounds of ten

I did have like 8 seedlings started so I distributed them in little 2-inch starter pots with clean soil. I threw a couple into the garden bed in front of the  house(those weren't sprouted)

going to have a grow lamp in the next 24 hours. I have 6 starter cells ready, sitting in the garden bed so they can get some sunlight, but I'm going to move those into a designated area in the garage under the lamp to be left alone to grow.

there's a sweet spot on the side of my house that I know the plants will do great, it gets 4 hours of direct sunlight in the morning so it's not so hot. so I'm going to throw some seeds down over there as well.

my growth journey has kinda halted in a way. I need to build up seeds. and get my grow area in my garage secured. that way I  can plant seeds, put them under the light and just let them grow.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#857325 - 06/16/22 06:17 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Best way to get a shit ton of seeds on the cheap is to make your own.  A bunch of regular seeds in solos or 1 gallons in a tent running 12/12 maybe two weeks after sprout.  Cull the ones with intersex traits, the runts, and any plant that looks at you funny.  After growing out the plants, you can keep the seeds from the best ones, and use those moving forward.

By the way, I wouldn't move plants from outside back indoors, this is just asking for pest problems.  Aphids, thrips, spider mites, broad mites, etc. 

Sometimes you can get away with it, but you're still playing with fire.  Integrated pest management becomes more important the more plants you have indoors.

OfflineQueeninferno
Queen of the Fire
Female User Gallery

#857343 - 06/19/22 10:50 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

all right so update.

I have my plants set up on  a folding chair and the lamp I got has a clip that I just attach to the chair. i have it off in the corner out of the way. 

at least twice a day I spritz the soil to keep it moist.

so I have 3 outta 8 cells sprouted. and its honestly a relief to see some green poking out of that  dark brown soil.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom