Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestroph
Blooming soil
    #78825 - 07/10/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I am still a noob at this, so forgive my ignorance. I have grown about 4 or 5 times and I still have not had a female. Anyway, my plants (Free Tibet from Soma Seeds and Afghan x Haze) are 5 weeks old and about 1.5 to 2 feet tall. I just began the 12/12 (2) days ago (C'mon, females!). They need to be re-potted. Is there a special kind of soil I should get for flowering or will MGMC work...maybe with some additives?  I am currently using seed starter soil mixed with some horse poo from my myco days (Just something I whipped up and it seems to work great). Should I use that for the re-potting? I also started using 10-54-10 N,P,K, to aid in flowering...soon to have 4 different guanos. OR....Am I too late or too early to re-pot? They are only in 4" pots. What size should I move up to? I'm sorry for so many questions. Any and all help is appreciated. One more thing: I live in a 1 horse town, so getting supplies is tough...no car or license, either. ~Stroph

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Blooming soil [Re: stroph]
    #79024 - 07/11/08 07:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Four or five times and no female? How many seeds total did you run? Which strains?

It'd definitely be a good idea to transplant them when entering into the flowering stage, because they'll stretch about two times their height, and you'll want to ensure the roots have space to grow in accordance with that (more root surface = greater yield). I don't know exactly what the volume of the pots you have right now are, but isn't it only like a half gallon? Usually you'll want your plants' final destination to be around three to five gallons, but if they are entering flowering now, I don't know how much further they'll develop to know if there is time to fill a pot that size, but I'd just suggest generally that you find three gallon pots for them.

I think the problem with transplanting into something like MGMC right after the flip into 12/12 is that, from what I've read (a coco man myself :wink:), they can be pretty heavy on the nutrients already added to the soil, and this is nearly the time that you'd want to be cutting nitrogen out of the picture (the plants won't have much need for it once the stretching, that begins after the light switch, has stopped). If you were going to use it, it would be better, I think, to mix it in with a soil-less medium, like perlite. I wouldn't know specifically what ratio to mix it in, so hopefully someone who does will post, but since you're going into flowering now and the nutrients they cram in that soil might be too much, I'd think that it'd make up at least less than 40% of the mix.

A better alternative might be to drop the soil out altogether, going with a soil-less medium and simply using more nutrients, especially if finding a better alternative for soil is more difficult. On that note, given your situation, I'd suggest purchasing your supplies off the net. Probably will find better prices, or at least break even when shipping is included and spare the inconvenience/bypass the inability to go physically find the stuff yourself. :grin:

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but soil isn't my forte. :hehehe:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Blooming soil [Re: Sirius]
    #79040 - 07/11/08 08:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

At this stage in their life it would be a tricky move to go from soil to soiless.  The root mass will be too big and it will suffer heavy shock most likely.  You should reserve that for smaller plants or cuttings, but then again, you should just start out soiless if that's how you want to go.

Rule of thumb for pot size is this, for every foot you want your plant to end up at, use one gallon of soil.  So for instance, if you want to grow 5 ft tall plants, you should be using at least a 5 gallon container.  If you flipped your plants at 1.5-2 ft i would error on the side of too big.  At minimum i would use a 3 gallon pot, but if i were you, i'd look into 5 gallon containers as your plants are going to get biiiiig.  Transplant as soon as you can, you don't want to wait too long for that.

Don't bother with the guanos now, your plants only need N for first two weeks of flowering, then it's best to let them use up the N they have built up for the rest of the cycle.  If you want to feed them some N, you can make a guano tea, or you can just buy a bottle of N heavy nutes. 

With your current nutes i would suggest feeding at most 1/4 strength until you're sure your plants can take it.  That's a really heavy bloom formula, it would be really easy to over fert with it.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinestroph
Re: Blooming soil [Re: coda]
    #79081 - 07/11/08 10:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sirius: The first few times I grew, I just used some seed from some stoney weed. The last couple times, I've used the free tibet and afghan x haze. My space is limited so I only grow 2-4 plants. That's why I have bad success with getting fems. I was also worried about using MGMC for the same reasons...too many nutes. Coda: You must be reading the same stuff I am. When I made my bloom solution, I only made it 1/4 strength...like you said. The guano I plan on using is Indonesian Bat Guano which has an N,P,K, of 0-13-0. I will also be adding DynaGro Protekt which has an N,P,K, of 0-0-3. I'm toying with the notion of using small traces of mg, ca, and fe. Do you think all of these nutes would be overkill? ~Stroph

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #79115 - 07/11/08 11:09 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
At this stage in their life it would be a tricky move to go from soil to soiless.  The root mass will be too big and it will suffer heavy shock most likely.

How would the roots suffer heavy shock as a result of transplanting into a soil-less mixture like that, and how would the size of the root mass have an effect on the matter?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #79144 - 07/11/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

because you can't just transplant into a soilless mixture, you have to wash off all of the soil.  Doing so will damage the roots.  It's not a death sentence, but, it's not easy on the plants either.  Like i said, it's possible with smaller plants, but when you're trying to wash off a gallons worth of soil and then transplant that into a new medium, the shock may be too much for the plant to handle.

He can try it if he wants, i just wouldn't suggest it.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #79303 - 07/11/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
because you can't just transplant into a soilless mixture, you have to wash off all of the soil.

Why would it be necessary to wash all the soil off the roots though? You couldn't, for example, transplant a one gallon container of soil into a three gallon container with coco? I just don't understand why the roots wouldn't be able to continuing growing into the new medium. The only problem would be with watering/feeding the plants, which i guess could become difficult.... I think, though, that if it was a half gallon pot of soil going into three/five gallon full of soil-less or a mix that had far less soil, one could simply concentrate watering more around the edges for awhile...

Either way, it certainly wouldn't be something I'd do. :lol: Maybe using more of the MG soil wouldn't be too bad of an idea, as long as no more nitrogen was added. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #79432 - 07/11/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The whole point of soiless growing is using a mixture that's devoid of all nutes.  By placing a block of soil you essentially defeat the purpose of planting in a soiless mixture.  Not to mention you wont have the added bonus of a Ph balanced mixture, and im sure the water drainage would be a bit different as well.

If you want to grow soiless, start it out that way, if you want to switch from soil to soiless your window of opportunity is when the plant is very small.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #79446 - 07/11/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
The whole point of soiless growing is using a mixture that's devoid of all nutes.  By placing a block of soil you essentially defeat the purpose of planting in a soiless mixture.  Not to mention you wont have the added bonus of a Ph balanced mixture, and im sure the water drainage would be a bit different as well.

Yes, but in this situation, his access to better soil is limited, and using that soil might present problems with too much nitrogen. The whole point of transplanting into a soil-less medium in this case is to counter-act the fact that the soil he is using is the opposite of being devoid of all nutrients. Clearly it isn't perfect, for the reasons you mention, but in this case, it might be better than using more MG, since he'll be able to give it a better formula of nutrients for flowering. Ultimately I don't really know though. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #83936 - 07/15/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you both very much for your debate. It was very informative. That being said, I don't have to worry about soil any more. Guess what? That's right...2 more males. What the hell is going on?! Can anybody point me to a reliable site for some good genetics, please? Obviously discreet and stealthy. One more thing: Is it possible to save some pollen from both of these plants to be used to fertilize a future (hopefully) female bud? How long does pollen live and how would I store it? Thanks again. ~Stroph

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #83973 - 07/15/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Don't know how long you can store it for, but you can definitely store it.

Sorry man, there is no site anyone can give you that will guarantee you females from seed.  It's the luck of the draw every time.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #83982 - 07/15/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The best thing you can do is simply start more seeds in expectation of this. I'd suggest planting twice as many than the female plants you are planning on growing, but considering your luck, why not make it three. :smirk:

Tell us more about the conditions they are being grown in. Temperatures, what you have for air exchange, pot size, anything pertinent at all. There's a wide debate on to which extent sex is determined by genetics and to which extent it is determined by the environment, and running by us the nature of your setup can at least help us make sure you're providing optimal conditions, just in case it is, to some degree, determined by environment.

If you collect and store your pollen right, it should be viable for months to even a couple years. Moisture makes pollen sterile, so make sure you keep it bone dry. Make an envelope of wax paper, throw some rice in there, or some other kind of desiccant, and put it in the freezer. Make sure its completely dry though!

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #84004 - 07/15/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I will get to the growing environment later...I'm typing on a phone. But I had the same luck outside, in a field. I don't want a site that will guarantee a female...that would be a scam. I don't want feminized seeds, either...I don't want a hermie. I just want a trusted site that some have used with a great delivery rate, i.e. no custom seizures. Suggestions? ~Stroph

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #84172 - 07/15/08 02:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

check out the seebank thread which is pinned in the main cult forum.

I can recommend drchronic.

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #84648 - 07/15/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. Here's a question: I just read that (aside from genetics and other rigamaroll) hermies can also be produced by introducing light during the dark period...I don't know for how long. Now, does that only go for females or can you turn a male into a hermie by doing the same thing? Why throw away a male when you could get some (seedy) bud? What do you think? ~Stroph

Offlinestroph
    #85108 - 07/16/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I took your advice and placed an order with dr chronic. I've never used a seedbank, so I found the cheapest strain "Sweet Purple" $16. I've always wanted a purple strain anyway. hopefully i will get at least 1 female. anyone ever tried this strain? ~Stroph

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #85152 - 07/16/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Why throw away a male when you could get some (seedy) bud? What do you think?

It doesn't work that way :wink: 

Quote:

anyone ever tried this strain?

never tried it, but paradise is a good company to order from for beginners because their genetics are cheap.  This way if you do fuck up, or if they turn out to be all male, you won't have wasted a hundred dollars or so on seeds.  I'm sure it will be just fine.

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #85254 - 07/16/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What's the average delivery time? does it come from paradise or dr chronic?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #85400 - 07/16/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it comes from dr chronic, he buys the seeds wholesale from breeders and retails them on his site.  Don't know where you live, but expect a 2 week delivery time most likely.  Takes a bit to get overseas if you're in the states.

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #85705 - 07/16/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cool deal. Thank you very much for your help.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck