Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFractal420
Stranger
First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed
    #847958 - 05/13/21 06:57 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone! I’m doing my first autoflower grow and I decided to use coco coir (with perlite) as the medium.

I know one of the big things about this is using the right amount of nutrients. I bought CaliMagic and  3 hydroponic bottles that are said to be good for cannabis. I have the Flora pack.
CocoLoco loose coir with perlite (and a bunch of additives like earthworm castings)

My question is, how does one infuse the coco with the nutrients, what to look out for, at least at the beginning, and how often do the nutes need to be introduced? I used coco cause I’m familiar with it from mush projects and it seems to be a good substrate

I saw this, would this be good? And should it be administered once per week?
Coco nutrient schedule

Or I hear every other watering?
Sorry, I am new to this.
I want to do indoor and coco seems to be good. Should I switch to a diff medium or maybe Start seedlings in regular soil? There’s so much info, a lot to take in.

The tent too but I’m trying to really understand how coco is used and how often to add nutes, how much, and how often to water.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Fractal420 (05/13/21 09:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #847959 - 05/14/21 02:36 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I am still in the process of learning coco myself, but I would not have added anything other than perlite to the coco.  Worm castings and dry amendments are for organic growing.  While I have heard of hybrid systems working well, I believe you are better off picking one route or the other.

To get the best results with coco, you need to feed multiple times per day.  The exception being seedlings or transplants, which need to be watered less.  But once the pots have filled out, feed multiple times per day with nutrient solution each time.

I've heard seedlings can be tricky in coco, which is why some people start their seedlings in solo cups of soil, then transplant to coco once they are grown.

Otherwise, you'd normally start with 3-400ppm of nutrients after the first week or so in a peat pellet and then work your way up to full strength.

If you are looking for more info on coco growing, I'd recommend checking out Coco For Cannabis.  There are also some threads on ICmag under their coco section that have been helpful to me.

OfflineFractal420
Stranger
Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: yoosername]
    #847964 - 05/14/21 05:57 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I’ve been reading that! Is there any easier, indoor friendly method?

And things like worm castings came with my Coco Loco mix. I think it’s designed for cannabis?

So yeah I’m gonna start with soil. If you have any you recommend, please lemme know. I already got the seeds and the clock is running on when to germ them (they’re expensive autoflowers and only covered for 60 days)

And yes I’m also getting a tent ready. Lights. The whole nine. Just the thing that confuses me most is prep and feeding and nutrients

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: Fractal420]
    #847966 - 05/14/21 07:54 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say drain to waste coco is one of the easiest methods of growing there is.  You just set up the environment and follow numbers on a stick.  That said, I have yet to plant a single plant in coco, so we'll see how it goes :rofl:.

Organics can be quite simple to run, but usually that is due to the complexity of the soil mix.  If you're running beds and reusing soil you will also need to test and re-amend the mix periodically.  Still, a well dialed in soilless peat or coco and compost based mix can be as easy as watering and periodically topdressing ewc and amendments.  You can even set up automated watering, which would make the grow super easy to maintain.

Bagged mixes will vary in availability depending on where you live.  We have several here in Michigan.  One I've been using is Morgan composting's smokin' tomatoes mix.  Many start with fox farm ocean forest, but I have heard that it has higher heavy metal concentrations than others.

If you are buying soil online, KIS Organics would be a good place to go.  They also have a great podcast, which I recommend listening to if any of the topics interest you.

Before you buy lights read up on them first.  There are many good options these days but there is also a lot of junk.  Migro or LEDgardener would be worth checking out.

InvisibleKenInVic
Tuk U 4:20/24/7/365
Male User Gallery

Loc: 3rd Rock from the Sun Flag
Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: yoosername] * 1
    #847969 - 05/14/21 03:37 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I grow in coco just by itself.  I start germinated seeds in one of the woven coco or compostible pots about 6" x 3".  I don't prep the coco at this stage other than to wet it down prior to accepting the newly sprouted seed.

I let the seed develop on its own nutrients for the first week or two.  Usually until I see a second set of compound leaves beginning.  At this point I give it a half feed of the recommended CAliMAgic.  I am watching for roots extruding from the pot while this is happening.  I use root extrusion as my signal to transfer to it's forever home, usually a 5 gallon pot filled with just coco, temporary pot and all.  The coco, in this case is prepped by giving it a full recommended dose of CAliMAgic but no other nutrients.  This provides a friendly yet not hot environment for the roots to start moving out into.

At this point my regular feeding cycle starts.  I feed only when the top 1/2" to 1" of coco is dry.  Depending on how heavily the plant is feeding this can go from every 4 to five days to every 3 days in a hurry.  All feedings are until ~10% run off.  With 5 gallon pots this means about a gallon/four litres per feeding.

Lights are initially 16/8 going to 12/12 along with the nutrient regimen change once I choose to initiate flowering.

I use Remo brand nutrients.  4 part for vegging, 6 part for flowering.  Lights are 400W MH and HPS for vegging and flowering respectively.

Google is your friend.  There's a lot of good material, just be careful of bro science.

Edited by KenInVic (05/14/21 03:44 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Stranger
Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: KenInVic]
    #847975 - 05/15/21 12:07 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Google is your friend.  There's a lot of good material, just be careful of bro science.

Haha for sure.

I’m thinking for this first time I made just get some good potting soil and set up a tent. I keep hearing bat guano is harmful yet it’s in like every cannabis soil mix. I keep seeing recommending for FoxFarms. That’s the same company as Coco Loco but I dunno whether to stick with that or just do a simple soil project, with fertilizer instead of all this liquid

Just SO MUCH conflicting info on there. Shroomery cleared up how to get to advanced myco so I figure this forum should help just as much

Offlinephycus
Stranger

Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: Fractal420]
    #848420 - 06/24/21 07:52 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

just came over from the shroomery after YEARS of... well honestly just putting it off. you might be talking about the same community in a sense, but its apple to oranges in terms of teks etc. there is much less required to get going in cannabis versus learning agar, different contams, differet mediums and my GOD i remember how everything used to be a monotub on the shroomery and good guys like RogerRabbit were still around. not knocking any other mods by any means, Magash and Data of all. this is just not as involved unless you get into genetics and fuckin making resins and tinctures and all of the other applications of cannabis. that being said, there IS a place for your myco skills in herbology lol. get some oysters going for co2.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Re: First grow! Coco coir. Advice needed [Re: phycus]
    #848435 - 06/25/21 02:21 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

phycus said:
just came over from the shroomery after YEARS of... well honestly just putting it off. you might be talking about the same community in a sense, but its apple to oranges in terms of teks etc. there is much less required to get going in cannabis versus learning agar, different contams, differet mediums and my GOD i remember how everything used to be a monotub on the shroomery and good guys like RogerRabbit were still around. not knocking any other mods by any means, Magash and Data of all. this is just not as involved unless you get into genetics and fuckin making resins and tinctures and all of the other applications of cannabis. that being said, there IS a place for your myco skills in herbology lol. get some oysters going for co2.

I think growing cannabis and mushrooms are pretty similar in a way.  With growing, like mycology, you can go as deep as you want into it.  Some people never graduate from the pf tek, some growers never stray from premixed soil outdoors.  But other people go the extra distance and continue learning as they grow, moving on to better methods and more advanced techniques.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am still new to coco growing, but so far it is going well.  I would be happy with 1 lb per light, but I know it's possible to yield four times as much from the same space, so I've been reading up on crop steering techniques in the hopes that I will one day be able to implement them into my grow.  But that is a ways away for now.

You can do more than just grow oysters for co2 with your mycology skills.  You can also use your flow hood for micropropagation, or tissue culture!  You can use this to store genetics, clone autoflowers, or even cleanse a plant of latent viroids!  But this is, of course, more advanced stuff than the vast majority of growers will ever attempt.  :pipesmoke2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder