Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleKenInVic
Tuk U 4:20/24/7/365
Male User Gallery

Loc: 3rd Rock from the Sun Flag
Tent Temps
    #827659 - 07/26/17 09:46 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Doing dry runs on my lighting before I commence anything else even related to trying to get something to grow.  The tent is 3 x 3 x 5.25, roughly 45 cubic feet.  The light in question is a 400W MH running at 75%.  4" inline fan is exhausting air encumbered only by a passive filter on the air intake of the tent.  Winged reflector, not air-cooled.  The fan is on the same timer as the lights and is running full bore.

My current test has been my veg cycle (18/6) and I am getting a max of 31C (88F) and a min of 25C (77).  Is the max an issue for vegging?  I have 2' x 7 tube bank of T5HO lights I could use but assumed I would get better light from the MH.  The tubes are 24W each for a total of 168W but can hang right on top things almost.  The MH lamp is currently about 2' above where I have the temp monitor positioned.

Going forward I would use HPS on a 12/12 for flowering but have not yet tested tent temps, assuming they will be similar.  I am also assuming I have different temp requirements for flowering so the same question may not be in play.

It's summer right now and this is in a garage integral to the house, heating optional (currently off).  Ambient temp in the garage is in the low to mid 20s (60 to 75) usually this time of year.

Thanks for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Tent Temps [Re: KenInVic]
    #827660 - 07/26/17 10:46 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

If I was you I would start by removing the filter on the intake and seeing if that made any difference if so use a screen. Your temperature probe or unit should not be in direct light if so put a shade over it and recheck.

If that does not fix it A stand alone heating cooling and most importantly dehumidifying unit will be needed to control the temperature of the room the tent is in.

Dehumidifying is important without it you might get mold or powdery mildew but MOST importantly is the fact that low humidity during flowering increases THC in the flowers. FYI you won't see humidity peak until about four weeks into flowering.

Two questions what is the cfm rating on your four inch fan and what temperatures does the room that the tent is in reach with the light on vs off.

I hope you are not venting air from outside directly into your tent because a cold night or a hot day will damage if not kill your plants never mind the constant changes in humidity reducing the yield and potency. Best of luck dude.

InvisibleKenInVic
Male User Gallery

Re: Tent Temps [Re: Rider420]
    #827661 - 07/26/17 11:08 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Intake air is from the same space the tent is in.  The fan is 165 CFM.  Ambient temp in the room is in the low to mid 20s (60 to 75), as stated earlier.

I'll try shading the temp probe as you suggested and then move to removing the intake filter for a test if shading doesn't cure it.  Though I suspect if removing the filter is the cure it is not going to get any better when the carbon can goes on for flowering, lol.

InvisibleKenInVic
Male User Gallery

#827673 - 07/27/17 12:25 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Shaded the temp monitor and removed the passive filter on the intake.  No change.

Not all bad as it gave me some time to ponder things.  I pictured the air flow in my tent and determined I had the lamp reflector oriented wrong for one.  The long edges were 90 degrees to the conceived air flow and were causing air to flow over top of the reflector and not around the lamp.  Is it now oriented so the edges are parallel to the airflow and initial indications are this has some effect.  I have also positioned the intake duct's output so flow from it to the fan intake would pass through the more central part of the tent.
Hi temp so far is 29C/85F.

It is about a half hour away from turning off for the night so this isn't a full run.  I'll do that tomorrow and see if the high figure is holding.  Heat of the day will be the real test.

If this doesn't pan out I may do my germ and veg run under T5HO while I look at the feasibility of a proper cool tube reflector of some sort.  I'm shying away from moving to a 6" fan unless absolutely necessary as there is the cost in acquisition, operating cost, noise factor and what the  tent configuration will accommodate.  I have some 2700K T5s as well that I could do a partial substitution in the bank of 6400K lights I have and attempt using them through flowering as well while I sort out my little mess.

InvisibleKenInVic
Male User Gallery

#827768 - 08/02/17 10:43 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Update: There is no economical way to deal with temps right now.  Min ambient temp in the main room is 25C and does nothing but climb as the tent gets toasty in the low 30s.

Evidently I am not alone.  When talking to my equipment source I was advised many people in my area just shut it down for the summer as far as indoor grows go.  I thought of outdoor but there's no way to secure it from thieves or vandals.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #827769 - 08/02/17 11:12 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Some people run their lights at night when its a little cooler.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleKenInVic
Male User Gallery

Re: Tent Temps [Re: phychotron]
    #827779 - 08/02/17 09:59 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Did you not read this, lol.  The lowest the room gets at any time in 24 hours is 25C. That's with no lights and no additional heating.  I'm using a thermometer that remembers min/max and that was the coolest the room has been in a week.  Once the lights go on the temp in the tent goes into the 30s in very short order and stays there.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order