Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLofetospoon9
Stranger
Hydroton flower table problems
    #827713 - 07/29/17 01:20 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I took cuttings from soil mothers, rooted them in a verm/perlite mix for about 2 and a half weeks, then transplanted to 2.5 liter pots i think, about half filled with hydroton in a flood table. I put them under 12/12 hps when i transplated. That was about 3 weeks ago. I started feeding them 500ppm clonex about a week and a half ago. Ive been watering by hand waiting for roots to show before i start the pump. They perked up a little since ive been feeding them. However, im only seeing brown, smelly roots.

I ph my water to 6 of course, and my temps and humidity levels are in good ranges. I water them overhead about 3 times every 24 hours.
Any advice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: Lofetospoon9]
    #827714 - 07/29/17 01:50 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You rockin any microbes?  It's good to keep the res inoculated.  You could try watering with AACT or bottled microbes and see if you notice a difference.

OfflineLofetospoon9
Stranger
Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: yoosername]
    #827715 - 07/29/17 02:29 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I have not. From what i thought i was supposed to be running a sterile system, idk much about working with ben. Bacteria and such in a system like this. And what is AACT?

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: Lofetospoon9]
    #827716 - 07/29/17 03:00 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Actively Aerated Compost Tea, basically worm poo and molasses in a bucket with a pump/air stone.  Breeds bennies on the cheap.  The system isn't really "sterile" if exposed to open air, it may start out sanitary, but eventually things are going to grow.  The idea is to establish a balance of beneficials that can prevent contaminants like root rot from getting a foothold.  Certain microbes can also process nutrients into more usable forms for plants (like Mammoth P.) so it's nice to have some diversity.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: yoosername]
    #827730 - 07/30/17 08:54 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I only used hydroton two times, it is a shitty substrate to say the least lots of dead roots and very little bud. I use rockwool or stonewool slabs and cubes they work much better at keeping the roots happy and better yet buds huge. You can also use coco fiber slabs as well.
In my experience Hydroton is useful in my fruiting chambers to keep my shrooms hydrated but is useless for growing plants.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: Rider420]
    #827731 - 07/30/17 09:40 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

This is with plain old lava rock from Home Depot. I've done exactly the same with hydroton which is what is currently being used.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: Magash]
    #827732 - 07/30/17 10:54 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Looks like you have got lava working well kudos.  Lots of plants about a hundred? Hard to get a license for those many plants and recreational growers in Canada will only be allowed only four plants.

Personally due to the five plant medical limit I have to deal with I find growing five trees using scog on two slabs of rockwool produces far more then five trees with DWC, Hydroton or sunshine mix using scog, but if you can run those numbers of plants you have shown that lava rock is more cost effective and just as good.

Just wondering have you tired rockwool cubes next to your lava clay just for shits and giggles?

Edited by Rider420 (07/30/17 11:06 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydroton flower table problems [Re: Rider420] * 1
    #827733 - 07/30/17 11:28 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Hey I'm not knocking anything you said rockwool is where I started way back in the 80s. My first system used slabs and they had great results.

From what you're saying you a little more like this

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #827734 - 07/30/17 02:03 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:homerdrool: holy crap Mag...

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#827739 - 07/31/17 08:33 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Hey I'm not knocking anything you said rockwool is where I started way back in the 80s. My first system used slabs and they had great results.

From what you're saying you a little more like this

Like I said kudos for getting laval rocks rocking.

And YES that plant is trained in the same screen of green that I use, but I use a non recovery drip system rather then a recirculating system.

Funny thing is a lot people in Canada think four plants that are only a meter tall are not enough for personal use but when you grow them like that you can get over two pounds from just four plants under 800 to 1000 watts in less then three months. Since I only grow for myself two cycles is more then I need.

Best of luck buddy have a great day.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate