Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: phychotron]
    #824459 - 03/06/17 03:07 PM (7 years, 24 days ago)

Pretty sweet.
I'll hopefully be able to update my diy led thread in a month or so, gettin moved into a new place then to build.
Although I have purty much everything as it stands, waiting on wire and wagos to ship to meh.
I, myself are using 12- vero 29 cobs @-70w each give or take. With a  3000k cri for use in flowering.
I'm basically replacing a gavita that I don't/can't run at full power atm.
Once I get moving and unboxing and  ready to do this shit I'll post up.

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: ashfiken]
    #824461 - 03/06/17 03:25 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Yep, just tapped some holes in a straight bar.

Somewhere along the line I also figured out that its much easier to drill from the finned side of the aluminum so you are certain your lined up with a fin.. Not sure how that didn't occur to me earlier, but experience makes you wise.

Since I'm thinking about it I just ordered another 20 red diodes for it to add some flower power to it. $30 in parts.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824462 - 03/06/17 03:28 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

ashfiken said:
Pretty sweet.
I'll hopefully be able to update my diy led thread in a month or so, gettin moved into a new place then to build.
Although I have purty much everything as it stands, waiting on wire and wagos to ship to meh.
I, myself are using 12- vero 29 cobs @-70w each give or take. With a  3000k cri for use in flowering.
I'm basically replacing a gavita that I don't/can't run at full power atm.
Once I get moving and unboxing and  ready to do this shit I'll post up.

Cheers

Nice, I was considering Vero's or CXB's for a future build. This is part of that trial run period before I buy a bunch of nice stuff.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#824466 - 03/06/17 04:54 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Dood I think it's awesome you are starting tinkering first. I'd really like to see what those reds give you and how it flowers once you get em on. What nm are the Reds 660? I've seen mostly those and one other particular wavelength with a few different makers. Definitely something I've been interested in and may add to lights in the future the small diodes are so easy to run and spread that's why I like them. I've just read so much the past 6 mths I've realized for a standalone flower light in the space I have I'll need the intensity brought by these bigger cobs. Seriously interested to see the Reds in there.
LEDs have come a far way in blue also.
People building pretty fucking sweet lamps with 5000k cobs that look the temp of the high end led manufacturers with intensity tht is pretty sweet. Goddamn I'm bantering I've been nerding out on this diy led stuff hardcore for 2 months now as I planned/purchased all my thangs.. Still need frame tho
Very nice to know on the drilling from finside too! I have future builds that I'll use reg extruded heatsinks.
But this time I went with these sst133 pin finned sinks from northerngrowlights.com predrilled for my cob to mount with screws for the whole deal. So it's just one sink per cob matched perfectly to passively cool. Those fuckers are cool I looked forever at many options before settling on those... And i had to wait or stock!
But that company and robin the guy who runs it are top fucking notch.(shameless plug)
Btw look into quantum boards cool as fuck too

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

Edited by ashfiken (03/06/17 04:56 PM)

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#824467 - 03/06/17 05:01 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Btw if interested in building lights Cree is the best/most efficient to run at extremely(relative to veros) LOW currents and do a bad ass job. While the veros are meant to be tan harder and take te abuse well i.e. Giving better efficiency than Cree at higher currents.
You may however have known tht
Cool you have to confidence to just start doing your thing buying here and there.
Only way I could do it is research/study like fuck create a comprehensive build using existing models and gently modify what I needed to my specs, all the while relearning the technical side over and over to get it in my head lulz
Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824473 - 03/06/17 07:05 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

didn't know that about the drive currents, I assumed cree would be best because they are brighter from the gate, which means that over time, when the diode is degraded to 50% intensity it will still compare to a usable vero.  I'm thinking in terms of longevity of the fixture compared to the price.

I know those heat sinks, those are the one's I want.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824474 - 03/06/17 07:10 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

The red diodes I got are ebay Cree 630nm xte on 20mm star PCB's. at $22 for 20. At that price I assume they are either low bin or generic knock offs, but the PCB's alone are worth almost that, and it comes with a 3w diode. So if its a knock off oh well, its to be expected, but if its Cree then win win.

If I get cobs I'll end up probably supplementing them with some red 660 XTE. Same with the quantum boards should I go that route.

--------------------

Offlineice
Stranger
Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #824475 - 03/06/17 07:13 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

do you have any experience with any of the available, ready to go, led grow lights that are sold in stores today?
if you have, whats your opinion, compared to say a t5 veg light?
also, i saw this thing on amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/E39-Lumens-Replacement-Equivalent-Halide/dp/B01C9JYH5I/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1488848816&sr=8-20&keywords=hps+grow+light+600+watt&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A6461716011

what do you think of that thing? probably junk, right?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: ice]
    #824476 - 03/06/17 07:22 PM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Cheap LED's tend to be good at vegetative growth, but I avoid them because of durability. I like Advanced LED lights (not the knock offs from amazon) but will probably build all my own from here on out. Price wise you can get a much better light for cheaper, but no warranty.

Those corn cobs are the worst. No cooling, diodes where you don't need them, cheap small diodes. Not worth it.

--------------------

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
    #824480 - 03/07/17 05:21 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Sweet build! :smile:

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Offlineice
Stranger
    #824483 - 03/07/17 09:42 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

:thumbup:
nice build man. keep us posted. I never had much interest in the led systems, but youve peeked my curiosity with this post.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: ice]
    #824484 - 03/07/17 10:27 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

And fuck yeah gromaus is the shit been using the hell outta his diy basics videos to learn me some shit.
Check out the vero29 gen 7s they are known for their longevity at the higher currents is why they are touted  for harder run setups. And almost match Cree in brightness honestly. They are sweet, check the data sheets.
Cree is the way I'd go for those reds also. Cool man. Only other brand I've heard good things is the osram 660s

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825002 - 03/23/17 09:00 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Got the red diodes in yesterday. The thing now uses a total of 73.3 watts. It was much easier drilling the aluminum this time. I figured to do it from the finned side down, make a larger hole and use oil on the tip of the bit.

Wired the thing up properly too. Got it to where the white will always come on with the fans (new fan power driver to fit into the electrical box) and the red and blue on their own switches.

--------------------

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#825013 - 03/23/17 11:04 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Fuckin nice man!
Many props.
I really like that.
Explain the wiring why are some in series( just red( and some got black and red?

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825014 - 03/24/17 12:04 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

red wires to the red diodes, blue wire to the blue diodes and black wire to the white diodes. I uploaded the wrong photo without all the wires.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825015 - 03/24/17 02:54 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

The wattage numbers are
white : 26.1w (includes fans)
w&blue: 46.6w (20.5w blue)
w&red : 53.1w (27w red)
w&b&r : 73.3w

--------------------

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#825035 - 03/24/17 08:02 PM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Super cool. So pretty that pic with all wires .
Makes modding on and off easy to locate and dispatch what needed.
Totally dig the color code mang

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825037 - 03/24/17 08:24 PM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Thanks, it was a last minute addition. I just happened to have some wires from an old PC power supply so I was able to salvage a bit of the blue. I felt like a genius when I realized I'd be able to quickly identify which diode and wire is which. :yesnod:

Its kinda messed up because I rotated one of the bars before I put the red on and it flipped the polarity of all the diodes. Rather than remove the diodes and have to redo the thermal paste I opted for slightly longer wire. You can see it on the left with the longer black wires.

Its going to be real fun when I build a real flower light. You learn a bunch of small things with every experience and gauging by how smooth everything was putting it together I feel like I'm ready to take on a real flower light.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #825228 - 04/04/17 01:48 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Nicely done Phychotron! :yesnod:  Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first LED build. 20w, $30 [Re: geokills] * 1
    #825246 - 04/05/17 06:39 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks, She's doing pretty well so far in the unfinished growcube.

To show the difference, the small plants rooted first and were put at the bottom of the flower room to show their sex, the other stayed in veg and rooted a few days later. Its growing so fast that I can't feed it fast enough in that tiny half-filled pot of coco. The small one's BARELY got any light, but still, its nice and bushy.

And its in there with its little sister, made out of cheaper diodes. I didn't post the build on that one, but its the same diodes I'm building the side lighting out of. Both lights are at the very top so far and the plants really like it so far. It'll be interesting to see what the cube can do in flower. I'll be working on a grow log for that as soon as I get everything sorted out and in order.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order