Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower)
    #816195 - 07/01/16 01:23 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

hi,

would one 200w CFL, with 400w output and 10,000 lumen output, 6400k bulb with light-reflecting aluminum hood be enough to grow ONE REGULAR plant? (NON-autoflowering)

I have decided on medicinal strain that stays short, and is mostly (80%) indica. I was hoping that the light I am getting would be sufficient to grow this plant to maturity. The reason I don't want an HPS is because of the whole ballast thing; how I would need a separate ballast, and also I would need lots of ventilation to keep it from getting too hot. 

thanks

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.
My name is Nishith Vijay a.k.a. CannabisPatient

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: cannabispatient]
    #816197 - 07/01/16 01:50 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Why did you make another thread....

Quote:

Sloppy said:
Watts are the rate of electricity being consumed by the unit, directly related to KWH.

A 200W CFL uses .2 kilowatt hours when it's in use. Produces 10,000 lumens as per that manufacturers advert. 150W HID uses .15KWH, produces 15,000 lumens. For example, if you are running a 12/12 cycle for a 30 day month:

360 hours per light @ 18 cents per KWH from your electric provider

CFL: 360 hours x .2 KWH x $.18 = $12.96 @ 10,000 lumens

HID: 360 hours x .15 KWH x $.18 = $9.72 @ 15,000 lumens

So the HID produces 50% more lumens, while being 75% of the cost of the CFL in terms of energy. Plus the point that was just made about it creating extra heat with the internal ballast, etc.

Your 200watt CFL does not have a 400W output. That's not possible.

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: Sloppy]
    #816199 - 07/01/16 02:12 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Why did you make another thread....

because this thread is NOT about autoflowering like the other thread. This thread is about growing a NON-autoflowering plant.

Quote:

Your 200watt CFL does not have a 400W output. That's not possible.

ok, tell that to the people at 1000bulbs.com who sell these lights. They offer several CFL grow lights, one that has an output equivalent of 400w, and one that has an output equivalent of 600w.

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

#816200 - 07/01/16 02:17 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I'll write them a letter. :hehehe:

I'm just giving you basic electrical physics calculations. I'm by no means an expert, but if a 200W cfl puts out 10,000 lumens thats HALF as many lumens output as 200W HID equivalent. So, they must be pulling some gypsy magic to have that make any sense...

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery
Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: Sloppy]
    #816201 - 07/01/16 02:26 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Why do you insist that a CFL bulb cannot put out 10,000 lumens? It's a fact that some of these CFL bulbs put out that many lumens. There's no "gypsy magic" involved.

So three of these small, cheap and environmentally-friendly CFL bulbs would have a combined output of 30,000 lumens. That easily rivals what an hps or metal halide can do.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: cannabispatient] * 1
    #816220 - 07/01/16 07:03 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Photo-period or auto-flower plants love their light.
And as stated in the other thread that 200 watt cfl will grow plants.
That 400 output comparison is to a incandescent bulb not an HID bulb.
Please don't mistake the two when it comes to plants.
They wont I promise.:smile:

So yes that light will do the job.
But you will need ventilation either way.
Plants must have fresh air.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: cannabispatient] * 2
    #816222 - 07/01/16 07:11 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

So three of these small, cheap and environmentally-friendly CFL bulbs would have a combined output of 30,000 lumens. That easily rivals what an hps or metal halide can do.

Three of those would do 30000lums indeed no doubt at 600 wwatts used.
One 400 HPS can do as much as 55000 lums depending on choice of bulb.:smirk:
In case you didn't catch that at 200 watt less one could have 25000 more lums.
Not to mention two less bulbs.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

Re: growing one plant question (NOT an autoflower) [Re: Stoneth]
    #816245 - 07/02/16 05:02 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

Three of those would do 30000lums indeed no doubt at 600 wwatts used.
One 400 HPS can do as much as 55000 lums depending on choice of bulb.:smirk:
In case you didn't catch that at 200 watt less one could have 25000 more lums.
Not to mention two less bulbs.

That's all I was trying to lay out for you, OP.

I wasn't "insisting" a CFL can't put out 10,000 lumens. That's totally reasonable. But don't be under the impression you are saving energy, or nothing. You are going for the cheaper, easier alternative, which you will have to pay more for in electricity and be more on top of ventilation because of direct heat near your plants.

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #816473 - 07/05/16 02:49 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

CFL's can get some dense bud if done properly, but they're not ideal and tend to cost a lot more in the long run with bulb replacements. The do produce a considerable amount of heat that needs to be dealt with, more so than an LED but much less than HID.

When using fluorescent lighting I prefer it as supplemental light rather than a primary source. T5 fixtures are good for side lighting and can help get a much heftier harvest by getting deeper into the canopy than the primary light. You get the REALLY close to the plants with fans on them and they will fill out well. What's nice is when you have T5's you have the option of mixing the bulbs up so you can put a bunch of 2700k and a few 6500k to fill out the spectrum, or in veg you can just swap the bulbs out.

I've never used the large CFL's but those tend to be too expensive for what they are, but also not as good as a T5 since it spreads the light out very evenly. (ebay, don't buy a used T5, people just buy new fixtures to get the new bulbs then sell the old bulbs/fixture)

My HPS plants are not nearly as happy as the LED plants, they tend to need more attention to counteract the effects of the bulb on the environment(fans, exhaust, A/C, dehumidifier). The HPS heats everything it shines on and all the walls and leaf needs to be cooled, not just the air temperature.

I normally don't recommend low end LED fixtures but people with low yield requirements can benefit the most from those. $1-200 on a cheap LED might be all you need. Warning: don't just buy a cheap LED, their are some generics that work better than others which might be a glorified light-bright that won't produce anything.

If you went with an auto-flower you could just leave the plant in any room with a small fan on it with no ventilation. Just gotta make sure that room doesn't get super hot in the summer, if its humid open a window, or not since its probably just a temporary weather spike.

With a non-auto you'd also need a small tent (or light proof enclosure) and a small exhaust fan no matter what the light source is. I'd just keep the fan running 24/7 on low, crank it up on hot/humid days. I like the walls of the tent to suck inward, it seems to help the plants when under negative pressure.

On a side note, Lumens (LUX) are a measure of human eyes ability to see light. Photosynthetic Active Radiation (PAR) is what the plant sees. LED grow lights are commonly rated by PAR value since its the most accurate way to tell how much light your getting to your plants. The light from an HPS for example is 80-90% unusable by the plant (as heat/IR/light.) 

Each light source has its benefits and applications, HPS are the cheapest to get into for the light they produce ($200 for a xl hood, 1000w bulb and dim-able hps/mh electronic balast, vs $1500 for a 600w LED that compares) and the area they cover. CFL's are cheaper to get started with, especially if you have a fixture laying around already. If you buy a few extra fixtures and the 26w bulbs and some power strips and extension cords... the price starts to add up but still can get started with under $100 but you won't have nearly the flower power had you gone with 150w HPS.

LED's are a tricky subject since they are still in development. They are the way of the future and I think the ideal light source for the plant when you get a good quality fixture. They plug right in to either 110/220V, just gotta hang it. They produce less heat than both aforementioned types and project less useless light onto the plants, and in turn heat the leaf surface less. The majority of the heat is exhausted out the top of the fixture directly into the air and can be readily sucked out with ventilation. HID's excessive useless light shines on everything: the walls, equipment and worst of all the plants. That turns to heat that needs to be shed from the leaf and equipment into the air first, then exhausted. The reason why the temperature needs to be lower in an HID environment is to drive the heat off the plant faster, through temperature differential.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds