Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
CMH Questions, what is this all about?
    #813963 - 05/23/16 05:56 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Hi All,

Apparently I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years, and only just now found out about Ceramic Metal Halide lights. :shrug:

So what gives with these things? It sounds like they have a much more complete spectrum than MH/HPS lights, that comes very close to mimicking sunlight. They also seem to be significantly (10-20%) more efficient than their MH/HPS counterparts. The bulbs are relatively affordable, from what I've read they age better than MH/HPS, can be driven by cheap magnetic HPS ballasts, and throw less heat out than HPS bulbs of similar wattage.

The only problem that I've read about so far is that they don't come in higher wattage, and can't be driven by digital ballasts (restricted to magnetic ballasts, which are noisy and potentially inefficient).

I've done a few quick searches on actual comparisons with HPS, real-world testimonials among the marijuana community...and there just doesn't seem to be much there. Its also been claimed that a 1000W CMH bulb/ballast would be coming out any day now...for the last 10 years.

:notsureif:

What am I missing? Does it not live up to its efficiency gains? Does the difference in spectrum result in no tangible difference in plant/bud quantity/quality? Do the bulbs not last as long, or is it really that much more annoying to work with magnetic ballasts? (I've never worked with magnetic ballasts, so I honestly wouldn't know)

I'm asking because I'm contemplating a return to growing, and would like to research all of my options thoroughly before I start purchasing equipment. Any help with this knowledge vacuum would be greatly appreciated!

:peace: agmotes165 :peace:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: CMH Questions, what is this all about? [Re: Data]
    #813990 - 05/23/16 11:36 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

If you want quality and efficiency but still  hid go double ended hps, cant miss,

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: CMH Questions, what is this all about? [Re: ashfiken]
    #814015 - 05/24/16 06:53 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply ashfiken :thumbup:

I've looked a bit into double-ended hps lights too, and I'm not necessarily limiting myself to HID only (my first grow was LED).

I'm just looking for information/experience on CMH where there seems to be a lack of general information on them.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CMH Questions, what is this all about? [Re: Data]
    #814017 - 05/24/16 08:17 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

No personal experience here.
But I've seen many threads over the last 8/9 years about them.
And at the end of the day, they didn't live up to the hype.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom