Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinearaucaria
Male

Loc: Oregon
CMH x HPS + 30% blue
    #16849 - 05/02/08 12:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

so i'm about to get an hid light at last. this will be my first. i'm positive about the 400W. my plan was to go ahead with the HPS Agromax with 30% blue spectrum. then i found out about ceramic metal halide which sounds great but doesn't work with a digital ballast. the spectrum of the CMH is much better than the hps. if i go with hps i would get a digital ballast.

does anyone have any comments, pros/cons?

--------------------
Kids are always honest
Cause they don't think their ever gonna die

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CMH x HPS + 30% blue [Re: araucaria]
    #16880 - 05/02/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'd suggest going with the HPS over the MH. Have you looked into 600 watts instead of 400? I don't think the cost would be that much more, and 600 watts is more efficient than the 400 will be, not to mention the extra wattage. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: CMH x HPS + 30% blue [Re: Sirius]
    #17207 - 05/02/08 11:43 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i'm leaning towards the hps. either 400w or 600w is almost the same price. the reason i'd go with 400w is space. i have about 4 square feet footprint, wouldnt 600w be too much?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #17210 - 05/02/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

araucaria said:
i'm leaning towards the hps. either 400w or 600w is almost the same price. the reason i'd go with 400w is space. i have about 4 square feet footprint, wouldnt 600w be too much?

Im wondering if its possible to have "too much" im thinking now its the more the denser. but i dunno.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinearaucaria
Male

Re: CMH x HPS + 30% blue [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #17304 - 05/02/08 02:19 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

how efficient is an air cooled reflector with an exhaust with intake from the grow room and how efficient is an air cooled reflector with an exhaust with intake from outside the room (ducting on both sides of reflector)?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #17453 - 05/02/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

araucaria said:

I don't think it would be too much unless heating is an issue, but you ask about that in your next post. Its almost the same price for 600 watts and, if I remember Jorge correctly, it is actually more energy-efficient than the 400 watt HPS.
:bongload:

Quote:

araucaria said:
how efficient is an air cooled reflector with an exhaust with intake from the grow room and how efficient is an air cooled reflector with an exhaust with intake from outside the room (ducting on both sides of reflector)?

I can't quite make sense of what you're asking here. :hehehe:

What is the cubic dimension of your area?

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#18070 - 05/03/08 01:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i have about 33"x20"x 60" . what i meant was is a cooltube reflector a lot more efficient if it has it's own intake from outside the grow room opposed to if it is pulling air from inside te grow room. how close can the light be from the canopy?

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #18083 - 05/03/08 03:26 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

My friend doesn't have direct experience with this yet, but I think it would make more sense to take air from the grow room since you want continuous air exchange in the room (and probably a carbon filter to get rid of the smell if you have security concerns), unless you are planning on running two separate ventilation systems. I don't think taking air from the grow room would be any less efficient because the important thing is all of the heat is getting pulled from the tube and out of the room anyways. :shrug:

The light could be as close to the canopy as possible provided the plants aren't getting too hot. A good thermometer or your hand would tell you that. A hydro site I look at said this with their cool tube reflector: "Most lamps should be mounted at least 65cm above plant canopy to reduce chance of scorching." and also that it'll take 90% of the heat away from the plants. :wink:

What kind of fans are you looking at? :strokebeard:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#18220 - 05/03/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i went to a couple hydro shops yesterday and asked around. they say it's best for the cooltube to have it's own intake, making it more efficient than pulling air from the grow room. so i am planning on having a fan for the room ventilation and scrubber and a separate fan for the cooltube.

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #18413 - 05/03/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Nothing wrong with having two ventilation systems in place I guess but I can't help but wonder if they were just trying to sell you another fan. :lol: I don't really know much about this though but it would seem that the air is getting pulled out from the light either way and I don't understand how which area you pull the air from makes it more or less efficient. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#18439 - 05/03/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

well. i got some flanges yesterday. 3 x 4" for the ventilation/carbon filter and 2 x 6" for the euro reflector.

the people at the hydro store are pretty honest and never tried to push anything. actually i'll be getting the fans from home depot, they're cheaper.

pics of the setup should be coming soon in a fresh new growlog

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineGROWEED
Crack Smokin' Hoe-bags
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: []v[] i C H I G A []\[]
    #18700 - 05/04/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with the Grow Shops when they say separate intake.

Think about all that extra humidity that will be running over the light if you didn't have a separate air intake.

I have also read that over different periods in the plants life the RH should be at different levels. It would make it tricky to control that if a fan was always running and removing the air from your grow chamber.

Smoke One,
Groweed

--------------------
Post is for ornamental use only.
10 centimeters = 3.93700787 inches

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CMH x HPS + 30% blue [Re: GROWEED]
    #19151 - 05/04/08 02:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I thought it was typical to always have a fan running for necessary air exchange. I don't know enough about humidity running over the light though, what would the problem with that be?

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #19152 - 05/04/08 02:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I was just joking about selling you another fan. Looking forward to the grow log! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinearaucaria
Male

#19201 - 05/04/08 02:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
I was just joking about selling you another fan. Looking forward to the grow log! :thumbup:

i know.

i'll be updating my current log with new pics today:mushroom2:

--------------------
Kids are always honest

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CMH x HPS + 30% blue [Re: GROWEED]
    #21869 - 05/07/08 05:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GROWEED said:
I agree with the Grow Shops when they say separate intake.

Think about all that extra humidity that will be running over the light if you didn't have a separate air intake.

Is there any substantiation for this? I've been reading through a lot of threads elsewhere on setting up ventilation systems and this seems to be the consensus on the best way to set this stuff up:

Apparently it is a good idea to put the carbon filter before the light because heated air hampers the filter's effectiveness in absorbing odors. I haven't found any reason why extra humidity running over the light is a worry, unless it had some effect on the bulb itself.... :shrug:

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to simply have a separate intake for the cool-tube but it probably isn't necessary.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies