Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLostInFound
Stranger
Tent or Box? Plus Ballast Question.
    #677052 - 07/04/13 08:20 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still in the considering phase for whether I want to do a grow or not. There are quite a few constraining variables in my situation.

I'll be doing a grow in a closet in an apartment. Security isn't an issue, where I live (ie: country), the landlord isn't allowed to show up out of the blue. There has to be prior notice. The room has an AC unit all for it's own as well, no communal venting system or the like, although there aren't any exhaust ducts or ways to pipe air outside.

The closet is quite large but I'm restricting the size to 70cm x 130cm x 110cm (LxWxH). If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to do quite a few plants depending on the method but I'm expecting 4-10 plants. Ideal situation would be about 600w HPS/MH bulbs, but the kink in this is that where I live, you can't buy ballasts easily. They cost about $300 for a 750W. The bulbs are reasonably priced, but the ballasts are super expensive and only carried by a few people. I'm not sure I can even find the ignitors to build my own. So if I went the HID route I'd probably have to buy a ballast in the US and bring it back with me. Which brings me to the ballast question I had. Are most ballasts dual frequency? 50Hz and 60Hz? (ex: this ballast seems to be multi frequency?)

The other concern I had was on design. I can't buy a grow tent, so I'd have to do a DIY one. Mylar Poly is also not common here so I'd have to do a ghetto emergency blanket style one sewed up. It'd likely be put over a metal frame. This is one option.

The other option is to build a box out of plywood/sheetrock and have the inside painted white.

While there may be no direct air exchange between apartments and there isn't people moving through the place. I do want to control the smell since I'll be sleeping in close proximity to the grow area. So I'm going to have to build my own scrubber and I still need to look around and find out if I can even find the filters to to make a DIY one.

The other question I have is which type of construction would people think would be best in this instance. Box or Tent?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: Tent or Box? Plus Ballast Question. [Re: LostInFound]
    #677058 - 07/04/13 10:43 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I think u should be able to make a pretty good one with 2x2's lumber and Mylar ....  Im sure u can find mylar if u look.

Dont use those tinfoil blankets things.... If anything flat white paint its better then those.

OfflineLostInFound
Stranger
Re: Tent or Box? Plus Ballast Question. [Re: P-O]
    #677091 - 07/04/13 09:18 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Then sheet rock it'll have to be.

I've looked for mylar film. No one sells it here, the only hits I get for it online are through Chinese resellers on Alibaba. And you have to be tons of the stuff (literally). The only thing remotely close to mylar are those emergency blankets like I talked about. I might be able to find B/W poly, though I need to look around, but I'm not crossing my fingers. Not many people grow here so this kind of material is uncommon.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: Tent or Box? Plus Ballast Question. [Re: LostInFound]
    #678671 - 07/19/13 06:26 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Your going to need fresh air exchange where your growing with hid lighting or you'll convection heat your room. Plan on ducting hot air out and cold air in or you'll be doomed for failure by a few issues.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds