Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShamanaut17
Number of plants+light->yield? *DELETED*
    #801008 - 12/10/15 08:00 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Shamanaut17

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: Shamanaut17] * 1
    #801140 - 12/12/15 04:55 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Those numbers are gonna change from strain to strain. By a large amount in some cases.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: Magash]
    #801196 - 12/13/15 05:14 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Magash is right because depending on the strain it will change from strain to strain.  I have had better results typically if I run less plants under a light instead of trying to "cram" a bunch of plants underneath the same light.  The less plants with bigger room for root growth means a bigger yield typically.  What strain will you be running?  I would go with 1k watt lights instead of 600w if at all possible.  Your yields will increase drastically if so.

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: ShroomingChaos]
    #801524 - 12/15/15 09:58 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomingChaos said:
I would go with 1k watt lights instead of 600w if at all possible.  Your yields will increase drastically if so.

http://hygrohybrid.com/videos/hygrohybrid-on-monster-cannabis-in-dwc-hht-day-22/

600s work just fine :blazed:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: 13buds]
    #801801 - 12/18/15 07:36 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah 600s work fine and I don't have an issue with them, however the 1k watt is just a few more dollars and well worth the price in the long run.  I used to run 2 600s and switched to 2 1000s and my yield increased by several oz per run and i was able to run more plants under each light without taking away from my end weight.

Also something to keep in mind with the video you posted is that those plants are running in a DWC setup which will already increase overall yield and speed up the entire clone/veg/flower process.  If your running a DWC setup then there's nothing wrong at all with a 600w light.  When it comes to soil the 1k just puts them all to shame.  I don't know if he will be running a DWC hydro setup or soil though, since he never explained that in his post.

Edited by ShroomingChaos (12/18/15 07:41 PM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: ShroomingChaos]
    #802794 - 01/06/16 11:17 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

A 600w HPS converts electricity to lumens more effeciently than a 1000w, therefore it's yield potential per watt is higher than the 1000w. However the 1000w has a greater penetration into the canopy so you can grow taller plants with ease. This doesn't make the 1000w better than the 600w it makes it more useful when growing plants 3-4 ft + whereas the 600w would be untouchable in a sea of green setup growing 2 foot plants.

As for the OP's question. The plant count doesn't matter so much as the canopy density. Generally speaking you're going to want a fairly dense canopy. This is to say if you were to look at the canopy from directly above it would be filled in with no gaps. Generally you want to have to prune leaves to allow light to reach the bottom of the canopy.

So yes, plant counts matter but can be made up for with prolonged veg times and training to create a denser canopy with less plants. This however isn't as time nor electrically effecient as running more plants and less veg time.

It takes a little experimentation to see how big a given cultivar will get under specific conditions. Veg time, nutrients, pot size, medium, misc enviornmental factors, yada yada. Once you understand that you can say, alright this plant is suitable for 1 plant per sq ft or 16 plants per 4x4. Otherwise you're guessing, improvising, and likely culling plants.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDannyFolks
OG
Male User Gallery
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: captain.koons]
    #802848 - 01/07/16 08:11 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Captain koons i love your signature picture...jus wanted to tell u that lol

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: DannyFolks]
    #802885 - 01/08/16 03:37 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #802889 - 01/08/16 06:52 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

A 600w HPS converts electricity to lumens more effeciently than a 1000w, therefore it's yield potential per watt is higher than the 1000w

I had heard this but when I tested it out it never did pan out. I never found a difference enough that it was noticeable but my dumb ass didn't do the test till switching my entire garden to 600 watt bulbs. I was doing these at the time

I ended up going back to 1000 watt bulbs.

I believe the bulb companies claim to have got past this problem and all the bulbs lumens output is the same when placed at the right distance. (this claim is made at the canopy top cause there is no way they can be counting light penetration at different distances from the bulb).

I have not tested this claim out so they may be full of shit. Myself I never saw much of a difference to begin with.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: Magash]
    #802890 - 01/08/16 07:09 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

There's a lot of factors including the hoods you use, how even the light footprint is, how dense the canopy is, bulbs used etc. You may be right about the efficiency thing as Gavita 1150s are supposed to exceed the 600ws in this regard. I'm not really a guru in these regards I think it would boil down to the ballasts and their compatibility with a given bulb.

I'm using 1kw lights myself right now but if many things were taken into consideration I have no doubt that I'd benefit greatly /w a 600w setup using hortilux bulbs. Assuming I planned my garden to take full benefit of the lower penetration power of the 600ws. The Gavita 1150s or a hortilux 600 setup is going to be the next equipment change I do to try to raise my efficiency.

A couple things that need to be taken into consideration to maximize performance is canopy temp, even light distribution, multiple light sources overlapping each other, light movers, etc. Using a lux meter at the canopy top mid and bottom ie. 2' 1' and 0' (bottom of canopy) to have an idea of what your bulbs are delivering is important. Aint nobody got time for that though. These readings should be taken at every 6" to 1 ft.

Off to trim!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #802954 - 01/09/16 07:06 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I'm starting some green house grows and will be supplementing with the Gavita lights.  Everyone is raving about them right now.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Number of plants+light->yield? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #802964 - 01/09/16 07:57 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

You could, when I volunteered at the university greenhouse we used cheapo 1kw's on huge parabolics to get the most footprint per watt just to extend the photoperiod. It would be interesting to see if using proper lighting would have much if any effect on the overall yield in a greenhouse as you must consider the overall lumens the plants receive in the rather long growing season.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies