Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNodded420
Stranger
Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed?
    #798359 - 11/10/15 05:37 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

From my learnings over the years I learned that the calyx's which, unpollinated, harbor the MAJORKTY of active chemicals. I have included 2 images, one of a "near perfect calyx) and one of a bud containing a high volume of rich calyxes.
I GUESS my question is, why do you growers please, figure calyx content is not spoken MORE of and strains testing at 30+ % NOT strains like this one? When doing an image search for 'calyx' there is one of someone who saved a whole lot of em in a jar. Haha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Nodded420] * 2
    #798364 - 11/10/15 08:55 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Sure the sample in the pic is 23% but that isn't a constant as with any other strain. A lot is going to depend on the grower and a lot of other things.

As far as Calyx concentration every time somebody talks about dense buds that is exactly what is being discussed seeing as how most of the bud is made up of calyxes. The more indica the strain the higher the count of calyxes there is gonna be.

Now if a bud has a lower calyx count then it's just a fluffier or airier bud but there are still the same amount of calyxes per gram of vegetation. 

Now if you want to start to try and find potency then you want trichome count per calyx, but then you have to try and find out the percentage of thc per trichome. :wink: Some strains have less trichomes yet they are more potent then other strains with high counts because the percentage of thc in the trichomes is so much more then the other strain. :derfase:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineNodded420
Stranger
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Magash]
    #798382 - 11/10/15 02:40 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

But why then is not an indica like THIS better for people who need THC specifically?  IT'S CALYX crazy. NO BLING?I t isn't trichome rich as current understanding and academia are teaching. I have seen the rest (thick ass leaves and other parts of bud that there seems to be a gap in my understanding.

OfflineNodded420
Stranger
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Nodded420]
    #798383 - 11/10/15 02:42 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Gorgeous, don't get me wrong....
This is what I love about the herb. We are solving alot of the speculates because of university studies now allowed.

OfflineNodded420
Stranger
    #798385 - 11/10/15 02:51 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

This is UNUSUALLY UNIMPRESSIVE. On someones frozen pizza agenda but one could theoretically expect something different from a lesser looking bud. [image] http://s12.postimg.org/6z08j9uvh/20151110_155508.jpg[/image]

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #798386 - 11/10/15 02:52 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Nobody said indica or sativa was better but if that is a indica you're showing it's a sorry one cause it's foxtailing which is far more common in sativas or hybrid strains. No you want a strong indica then you need something a little more like this.

or a cross of both indica and sativa like this

It's a matter of taste mostly cause you're not going to pin down what has the most thc cause things change from grower to grower. The chances that the strongest will be either a indica or a sativa are somewhat slim cause most of the strongest strains are hybrids of sativa and indica.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #798413 - 11/10/15 10:34 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

Now if you want to start to try and find potency then you want trichome count per calyx, but then you have to try and find out the percentage of thc per trichome. :wink: Some strains have less trichomes yet they are more potent then other strains with high counts because the percentage of thc in the trichomes is so much more then the other strain. :derfase:

This doesn't seem completely accurate.  Thc and all the other cannabinoids are not just in the trichomes, if this were true, then the butter made from the leaf material left over from mashing hash would have no effect

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #798429 - 11/11/15 04:44 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Well if they are found in other parts of the plant then science hasn't found it yet. I'm not being a smart ass here it's a interesting question. What parts of the plant make THC? Everything I can find says it's only in the trichomes and it seems that the parts of the plant with the most of them are the most potent. There is really no real info out there that tells weather thc is made in other parts of the plant other then in trichomes.

and what the hell is "Mashing Hash"?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #798470 - 11/11/15 02:19 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Making, phone typo. 

There's has to be cannabinoids in the plant material itself.  Sure the greatest concentrations are in the trichomes.  But there's no way  that's the only containing part. 

Damnit, now I have to dig up some of my books.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #798488 - 11/11/15 05:48 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Well then how does making hash fit into it? Making hash is the collection of trichomes. In fact one of the key things in making has is to not have any plant material in it.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #798546 - 11/11/15 10:51 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, exactly my point.  Once you remove the trichomes you can still maker very dank butter with the plant material left over.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #799364 - 11/23/15 08:00 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Yes, exactly my point.  Once you remove the trichomes you can still maker very dank butter with the plant material left over.

:yesnod: along that line of thought.

isnt that how shitty dirt weed gets you high, Ive never seen any trichomes on brown dirt weed and it will get you high.  pretty sure youre smoking just plant material with low grade mexidirt.  :shrug:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calyx concentration. why isn't it discussed? [Re: 13buds] * 1
    #799381 - 11/23/15 01:22 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Even bunk brick weed has trichromes...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder