Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob
    #793286 - 09/12/15 01:30 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

hey guys well i got some small bugs flying around that just appeared.. i found that when i water after soil is try i see little bugs flying out.. now im growing auto flowers and dont want to do anything to stress them .. but what can i use to kill them off in the soil.. think i got them from using a cheaper brand of soil cause never had any probs before i used that soil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: Mrshroom] * 1
    #793287 - 09/12/15 01:36 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I had that problem with kellogs soil. I couldn't find a remedy other then killing them with a swatter. You can try using some sticky fly traps. Next time pasteurize your soil. That way you keep the beneficial fungi, etc. but kill off any eggs that might be in there.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #793298 - 09/12/15 03:47 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

A bad thrip problem will look like fungus gnats. If you have any leafy discoloration you might consider that as your problem.

Check the leaves for any of this type of damage...

They look like this:

and this is how you treat them:

They like to hang out on the underside of leaves, and when they get old enough they turn black and can fly. I switched to coco and cut out most of the insect problem, but still got the seasonal infection because I lived next to some wheat fields and they would come over whenever they harvested.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: phychotron]
    #793449 - 09/14/15 09:36 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

na they dont look like thrips , just little flys.

ive heard running hydrogen peroxided in a mix ratio with water can treat the prob does anybody know anything about this method and if there are any risk to the plants?

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: Mrshroom]
    #794572 - 09/25/15 06:47 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

It wont harm the plants^. I know people do this

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Offlineello619

Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #794699 - 09/26/15 04:40 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

go to homedopt and get yourself some neem oil.  Use it every other day for 3 weeks it will solve your problem

InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: ello619]
    #794733 - 09/26/15 08:37 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ello619 said:
go to homedopt and get yourself some neem oil.  Use it every other day for 3 weeks it will solve your problem

Neem oil will leave oily residue. Use an insecticidal Soap/Water mix.

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#794778 - 09/27/15 01:17 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Mosquito Dunks with a sand layer worked perfectly for me everytime.

Break one up, mix into a gallon of water, let sit overnight, then use it as the last gallon of water the next time you water/feed. It will kill most, if not all, of the larvae and keep the problem from growing.

~1.5 - 2 in. sand layer on top of your soil to trap to airborne fuckers and suffocate them, preventing them from shitting in your flowers, reproducing, and spreading. Not much thicker than that though, as there may be a slight possibility of suffocating your roots and soil-borne micro-organisms, harming your plant(s).

Nothing's applied directly to the plant, contaminating it. Mosquito dunks house a dormant, living organism, so there are no harmful chemicals introduced to your soil/plant. Sand layer is harmless sand. (Hippie-friendly pest control.)

I've seen the dunks in most every major outlet I've been to, (WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot) and they're dirt cheap and effective when combined with a sand layer.

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

OfflineH J Farnsworth
Stranger
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: fugus gnats or some type of small fly bug prob [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #794781 - 09/27/15 05:32 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Essential oils like clove eucalyptus and neem added you water will deter bugs from entering the soil. No need to spray leaves. Also if you have fungas gnats just stop watering for a while til 3-4 inches of soil is dry. If you combine the oil mix with less frequent watering they'll be gone in 2 weeks

--------------------
Officially a Colorado medical marihuana patient

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#794783 - 09/27/15 06:57 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:
hey guys well i got some small bugs flying around that just appeared.. i found that when i water after soil is try i see little bugs flying out.. now im growing auto flowers and dont want to do anything to stress them .. but what can i use to kill them off in the soil.. think i got them from using a cheaper brand of soil cause never had any probs before i used that soil.

Sounds like you have fungal gnats.  The only good suggestion so far was the mosquito dunks and sand idea.  The problem with fungal gnats isn't the adult gnats, it's the larvae that are munching on your roots that is the problem.  The bT bacteria in the dunks has a pesticide effect that should help, for now.

The best solution is to water in some predatory nematodes, and to put some StratioS mites (form. Hypoaspis miles) on the top of the soil.  Also, put some yellow sticky traps at soil level and a few up higher to catch the adults before they can lay more eggs.  Takes a week or two, but the nematodes are effective, and completely harmless.  The Stratio mites run around and take care of fungal gnats that made it that far along with taking care of little thrips and a few other soil bugs.  Check out Beneficial Insectary in Redding CA, they have the nematodes, StratioS and the yellow sticky traps.

It's best to add these things before you see the fungal gnats or thrips, prevention is always better than having to cure.

And BTW "Safer" insecticidal soap is a really bad idea FME.  Not recommended at all.  Neem sucks too.  Just say no.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder