Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIce House
Rider on the Storm
 User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
GOT GNATS?
    #211458 - 04/02/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Fungal or fungus gnats suck. Many say that just a few of them wont cause any damage to your plants. That is true. What is also true is that Fungus gnats can and will multiply fast. The fungus gnats themselves do no harm to your plants. The fungus gnat larvae does. While in the larvae stage the fungus gnat feeds on fungus found in your growing medium.

Even if you start off with a sterilized medium, once you open the bag it is contaminated.Add warm temps, water, and nutrients and presto. The most beautiful healthy gardens that produce the biggest and best buds do have fungus living in the growing medium, 99.9% of that is not harmful to the plant. 

Fungus gnat larvae becomes harmful to your plant once it exhausts it's
food supply. this happens when an infestation occurs and there is not enough fungus to feed all the larvae. The next food source they turn to is the very fragile fresh root endings of your plants. Once the gnat larvae start feeding on the plant roots the plant begins too look sick in ways that lead you to believe there is a nutrient deficiency. Leaves can start to curl, spot, dry, wilt, discolor, etc, etc. These signs can cause the care giver to add more water or fertilizer or whatever to correct the problem. The reality of this situation is that the plant is suffering from deficiencies, but not because the soil is deficient, it is because the root endings that feed the plant are damaged.

A few fungus gnats should be taken very serious. If they go un checked they will grow to an infestation.

Prevention of Fungus Gnats is not always that simple but there are some basic rules that every indoor gardener should follow that will minimize your risk of getting them.

Minimize or eliminate exposure your indoor plants have to the outside.
Keep your grow area clean!! Vacuum, sweep, dust, clean your garden regularly.
Don't eat or drink in your grow room.
wipe your feet or take off your shoes before entering your grow room.
Keep pets out of your grow room.

Keep in mind that the fungus gnat life cycle consists of three basic stages that we need to be aware of- egg, larvae, and fly. Any treatment we use should treat all three of these stages.

I am not an advocate of Neem oil. My experience with it is that it is messy, stinky and harsh on the plants and it is not very effective. Spray chems are out of the question.

I suggest the following treatment that IME will completely eliminate the problem.
Fly strips should be hung to target adults while they are airborne.
fungus gnat eggs and larvae should be eliminated by using LIVE BENEFICIAL NEMATODES These can be purchased on line at the link or they can be found at Home Depot or most any garden store. Nematodes generally take about two weeks to get a handle on the situation, but they work like a charm and they do not harm the plant.

If your plants are mature or are in the budding stage and you have a serious infestation I would seriously recommend putting a 1/2 inch layer of sterilized sand over the soil in your pot. Placement of this sand prevents adult egg laying flys to get back into contact with the soil. This sand barrier also prevents mature larvae from getting to the soil surface and flying away. IMHO the sand application should be done after adding nematodes.

If you have budget issues and you have a rapid infestation, fly strips and adding a layer of sand do work well but it takes longer and it may not be 100% effective.

I have had experience on several occasions over the years with fungus gnats since I started using live beneficial nematodes I have never had them again. I dont wait to get gnats before I use the nematodes. Once I transplant into the containers I am going to use for adult veg stage plants and fowering I add nematodes.

I have found that sand and fly strips by themselves work better than Neem oil.

?s

Edited by Ice House (04/02/09 02:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: Ice House]
    #211833 - 04/03/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:eek::thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinem3kgt
User
 User Gallery

Loc: G-Spot TX
Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #211973 - 04/04/09 06:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

fuck gnats. they've never survived from my harvest. :mariopeace:

--------------------

OfflineIce House
Rider on the Storm
 User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: m3kgt]
    #212024 - 04/04/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

what do you do to control them?

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
    #467016 - 08/24/10 11:12 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I am sorry for bring this back from the grave, but I would like to chime in on what I am doing to control my fungus gnats.

I suffer from gnats all the time (mushroom grows)

I have tried Mosquito dunkers in the reservoir, but it seems that is only making a mess.

To get the adults you need to hang sticky fly strips.
to get the larve, I am using GOGNATS

I tried to do it about 1/2 strength (.5ml = 10gal)
and that didn't work.

I had to do full strength and I am not noticing any signs of larve or adults. Works great!
(it was like $20 for a 16oz bottle)

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
Building a flood table out of 2 kiddie pools
:heart:  Ebb and Gro - Buckets 2000w
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineDoctorDarkMatter
Stranger

Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: Oatman2000]
    #467019 - 08/24/10 11:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had some a few months ago, I ended up getting that shield bug spray they advertise on tv, you know the one where the dude sprays outside and then inside and it looks like an invisible shield. I sprayed that once in my grow box and have not seen one gnat, or bug of anykind. It worked like a charm.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
    #468209 - 08/26/10 09:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Damn those things are barely their one day, then they are all over the place. Man got to take of this quick.

OfflineCFLbc
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia
Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: fungi]
    #470244 - 08/31/10 03:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

great info  :wayshegoes:

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: CFLbc]
    #625306 - 05/31/12 06:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

thanks guy

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Offlinesloantbone
Spirit Entity on Tour
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #652589 - 12/23/12 06:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Use Diatomacious earth

That stuff is a miracle.

It does not harm the plants but will kill any bug that walks into the soil and tries to breed there, fuck there, live there, hang out to visit their buddies, or just if any bug walks across the diatomacous earth.

I get mine from the farm supply store and pay $20 for a 50 lb bag.

Just mix or sprinkle that on the surface and in the soil

Take my word for it, if you put that on your plants you will not see a bug after 3 days....most results are within 24 hours.

It wont hurt your plants, it is a natural produce, safe to eat, safe to smoke, safe to shove in any orifice.

I use it, and it solved all my problems

Offlinezzzzzz
Stranger

Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: sloantbone]
    #660821 - 03/02/13 10:01 AM (11 years, 19 days ago)

Word of caution regarding diatomacious earth: Don't breath it and try not to get it on your skin/in your clothing.

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

Re: GOT GNATS? *DELETED* [Re: zzzzzz]
    #660842 - 03/02/13 01:26 PM (11 years, 19 days ago)

Post deleted by StateOfMindGone

Reason for deletion: ,

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: ShortCircuit]
    #662271 - 03/14/13 01:12 AM (11 years, 7 days ago)

Look at some close up some time....looks like broken glass...which it basically is.

Thanks for the good word.

JD

OfflineHighdroponic
Stranger
Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #746191 - 09/03/14 03:57 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've seen nematodes in action and they took a room that had more flies than a feed the children commercial into a room I would do surgery in. AMAZING!

Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: GOT GNATS? [Re: Highdroponic]
    #746986 - 09/08/14 06:40 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

good to know

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag