Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

Aphids and pm
    #792244 - 09/02/15 02:55 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Have found a pretty severe aphid infestation and some pm starting on my outdoor plants, they are 6 to 8ft each and in a 10x10 which is much too crowded, building a new area so i can spread them our and considering a pretty extreme deflation and a neem spray to try and save my girls, I'm 4 to 6 weeks from harvest. Thoughts on removing all the large infested fan leaves (about 30 percent) and neem spraying or should I go a different route? Suggestions ASAP please as I am working on it now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Re: Aphids and pm [Re: roxxor]
    #794652 - 09/26/15 10:59 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Control:

Beauveria bassiana is a beneficial fungus fatal to many insects including aphids.
Herbal oil pesticides contain essential oils distilled from plants that are effective and safe for people and pets but not pests. Several brands are available. Ed Rosenthal's Zero Tolerance is highly effective.
Insecticidal soap sprays coat and smother aphids.
Pyrethrum is a natural plant based pesticide that is widely available.
Neem oil smother insects but leaves an oily residue.
Herbal teas that include capsaicin, cinnamon oil, cloves, coriander oil, garlic and Italian seasoning are also effective. Mix 1 tablespoon of spices per quart of water. If the plant has necrosis from strength, dilute it. The herbs can be mixed to make your own concoction.

Prevention
Air Filtration: Aphids are airborne for part of their life cycle, so a fine dust filter in the air intake prevents aphid entry.
Monitoring: Check the plants regularly for aphids-at least twice weekly when plants are growing rapidly. most species of aphids cause the greatest damage when temperature are warm but not hot (65-80F)(18-26C). They are most prevalent along the upwind edge of the garden, close to the outside sources of aphids; check leaf undersides, where many species hang out.
Check for ants: when they are present aphids are much more difficult to control, so they must also be eliminated.
Catch infestations early. Once their numbers are high and they have begun to distort and curl leaves, aphids are hard to control because the curled leaves shelter them from insecticides or natural enemies.
Outdoors, aphids are usually not a problem because of natural enemies such as lady beetles, lacewings and syrphid fly larvae.
Good Luck

Edited by AGrower (09/26/15 11:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag