Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Alternative to I Grow Chronic's flower bed?
    #791458 - 08/29/15 10:03 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'm still debating what kind of hydro set up I'm going to run.

I now decided I want to have two 5'x5' rooms side by side. I'm going to make them with 2x4's and black/white poly sheeting.
In the mother room I'll run my 2'x4' T5 light over a drip system with rockwool medium - all this will be inside a large tray like in the "I Grow Chronic!" video.

I am hung up on how I want to run my Flower room. I do not really like the way he does it in that video. It is a large plastic tray full of those expanded clay balls.

Here's the clip from the video I'm talking about:
t=1h9m18s

Am I wrong in thinking this is a bad set up? I would like to have as many plants as possible for my 5x5 room and I feel that them sharing a medium like this would cause root problems or not allow me to grow as much.

Any suggestions for how I should go about my flower room hydro set up? Keeping in mind that all my plants will begin life as drip system in rockwool (or coco coir - I've heard that that is better, but I think it might be more troublesome?)

As always friends - thank you!

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Alternative to I Grow Chronic's flower bed? [Re: ChillWillis]
    #791557 - 08/29/15 03:32 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Now that I'm reading more - I'm thinking I want to grow both rooms inside of 4' x 4' trays. I'm thinking 16 plants in flower room under at least 1000w HPS.. I also have a 400w HPS cooltube. I think this is a dumb question, but it would be good to use the 400w in concert with the 1000w, right?

Still looking for advise about doing drip feed, ebb/flow, deep water, or something else for hydro noob.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #791949 - 08/31/15 08:04 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

ebb and flow is my jam.

coco ebb and flow is awesome. simple, low maintenance, and very good yields.

I usually do 4 plants per sq ft - 1 plant per sq ft. Really depends on the strain, you want x amount of plants and x amount of veg to fill in your canopy. In my case, I run as many plants as necessary to eliminate the need for veg. At 1 plant per sq ft sometimes I'll veg a week or two or use a strain that's more sativa leaning.

Drip works well too, especially with coco. I prefer ebb and flow. Yields are similar but setup and reliability is better with the ebb and flow system. Many people prefer drip over ebb and flow for coco because they're probably using too much fertilizer and running into lockout issues.

As far as medium and container size goes, that's all strain dependent, up to you to decide. If you were to fill the table with medium and plant directly into that, you're going to get better root growth but the roots will grow into each other which makes moving the plants or removing them problematic. Root Pathogens would also be able to infect all plants much easier if that became a problem. I personally use pots and really like the smart pots. the 2 gal size is great for SoG and you can fit 36 plants per 4x4'

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Alternative to I Grow Chronic's flower bed? [Re: captain.koons]
    #792327 - 09/03/15 04:26 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

koons, thank you for your informative input - also it's nice to see someone else I recognize around here!!

based on what you've said, I think I'll use pots.Fillingt a tray with grow medium and putting plants in it seems too risky/troublesome (pathogens/roots intermeshing) for me.

I don't see the advantage of coco coir, rock wool is less troublesome and less messy - what am I missing there?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #792361 - 09/04/15 07:48 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I can only speak for what I use which is why I mention the coco coir.

Many people have success with rockwool but quality coco coir is going to hold more air. Rockwool can become water logged or over watered whereas coco you can water until run off and then some. For this reason I would consider rockwool a drip to waste only medium.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds